• ...and so much more!
  • JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I don’t shoot a lot. Maybe 1-2 times a week in winter at range and maybe 3 times a week in summer.

I primarily shoot 9mm. Maybe 200 rounds in a shooting session.

Recently got into reloading. I’m enjoying it. I suspect I have years to learn yet.

I would like to get into precision rifle at some point. But I don’t currently shoot much rifle.

I’m using a Rock Chucker and love it. I am getting faster at it. Establishing a routine. Maybe 3-6 hours a week reloading. I’m not necessarily trying to reload faster. I’m still learning the equipment.

One thing I have noticed is that it’s difficult to keep up with what I’m shooting with the time I have to reload. I really enjoy making my ammunition specific to my gun.

Thinking about getting a turret press as well. Would a progressive be better? Reason I like the turret from what I read is that it appears that I may be able to number one afford it better and number two, I can still pay closer attention to my end product production details.

Any thoughts on this and if so, what presses do you recommend?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    34 minutes from Post to Purchase. :cool:

Is that an INGO record for enabling?

Seriously though, the investment in a Dillon is well worth it IMO. Keep in mind you will still have toolheads, caliber conversion kits, etc. to buy.

Lots of other options in the market that will give you excellent results but I have a never wanted for anything on my 550 (short of a fully automated system for running 9mm).

If you really want to spend some money, get an Area419 press!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Going against the grain here. I've never owned a Dillon, formerly because of cost and now because of room. I started with the Lee book and Lee equipment. Never owned a single stage and went straight for turret. Does everything I need, and now use it for rifle rounds, mostly .308 hunting and target.

Then moved to progressive, which is more finicky to set up and keep running, though I managed to get 225 rounds of 9mm done in an hour. That included reloading the bullet, case and primer feeders and clearing flipped primer issues. Those 9mm JHP cost me a little less than 12 cents each.

I would likely be happier with a Dillon, and one may be in my future, but Lee equipment has served me well for years.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You are looking good on your set up.
    My RockChucker (1972 Model) + my Dillon RL550 do all that I want with EXCELLENT support from both companies.

RC for most rifle loads.
    550 for most handgun loads.

Buy ONCE-CRY ONCE....Bill.

If my reloading setup blew away today and I had to replace with new, I would buy a Dillon 550 and a Rock Chucker. The 550 will do everything you need outside of a fully automated machine. Having a single stage bolted to the bench is just to darn handy.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Going against the grain here. I've never owned a Dillon, formerly because of cost and now because of room. I started with the Lee book and Lee equipment. Never owned a single stage and went straight for turret. Does everything I need, and now use it for rifle rounds, mostly .308 hunting and target.

Then moved to progressive, which is more finicky to set up and keep running, though I managed to get 225 rounds of 9mm done in an hour. That included reloading the bullet, case and primer feeders and clearing flipped primer issues. Those 9mm JHP cost me a little less than 12 cents each.

I would likely be happier with a Dillon, and one may be in my future, but Lee equipment has served me well for years.
    With owning a bunch of Dillon equipment over the last 40+ years I've seen, helped, watched and read about other equipment in that time.

To sum it up you are comparing a Yugo press to a Rolls Royce press.
    Richard Lee makes some very good well priced reloading equipment.
    His semi and progressive presses don't fall into the good investment category.
    He makes good cheap, push through and reloading dies and great bottle neck crimp dies.
    Oh, and great learning to reload books.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Well, the Yugo gets better mileage...:)
    And the allegory kind-of applies - I have 3 turrets and a progressive for the same price as one Dillon setup. One does .308, one does .223, one will be for 54R, and the progressive is 9mm and 10mm.

Not adverse to Dillon, just don't have any yet.

And, being a Yugo, I have to do my own repair and maintenance. Though I understand Dillon takes good care of its customers.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Well, the Yugo gets better mileage...:)
    And the allegory kind-of applies - I have 3 turrets and a progressive for the same price as one Dillon setup. One does .308, one does .223, one will be for 54R, and the progressive is 9mm and 10mm.

Not adverse to Dillon, just don't have any yet.

And, being a Yugo, I have to do my own repair and maintenance. Though I understand Dillon takes good care of its customers.
    I still have my first three Dillon presses, I bought a 450 around 1982 and over the next ten years bought a 550 and then a 650. And then another 550 and a few 650 presses and a RL100 machine.
    I have always done my own maintenance also, I don't recall having to ever do any repairs to any of my Dillon presses.
    You will not find any better service that from Dillon. I can still get factory or upgraded parts for any of my 6 Dillon's and I happen to have another 650 on the way as I type this post. I bought a 8 station from a member here about 2 years ago and it had a bucket of parts and a manual. I put a call into Dillon and talked the the head of the rebuild dept and within a week I had all but one of the parts I needed to start loading a few different calibers with that awesome machine. I found the part I needed in the mass of parts Ben sold me with the press. Its also from the 1980's its an RL1000.
    There are few reloading companies that still service and have parts for machines that are out of production for 35 plus years now.
    Plus they have better resale value, that any other reloading equipment on the market.

Dillons are money well spent just in time vers quality & amount loaded to other companies for the home re-loader. You set them up and if one has to fiddle with it, its because you didn't set something up correctly or you have literately run thousands and thousands of rounds through it.

I spoke of Lees sometimes good engineering and let me just say a few quick thoughts on Dillon pistol dies.
    The sizer de-capping stem, has a spring washer that "POPS" the center stem so a primer that you happen to puncture or it gets stuck on the de-capper pin gets shot off so the primer doesn't get pulled back into the primer pocket. And when that happens your press gets locked up or a round misses a new primer being installed.
    The seater dies come with a pull pin as to make it super fast and east to clean the seater when seating lead bullets, and you can change out seating stems from the other being self stored inside of the die. Slide it back together and push the clip in, Zero adjustments need to be made.
    Crimp die is the same, pull a clip, clean and back together with zero adjustments.
    Richard Lees has made a few good things for the reloading community over the years, but if you want Better engineering, Its powder coated Blue.

dillon3048.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Revolver and rifle ammo, am content to just run a turret.
    My dad would load my .45 acp stuff on his Dillon 650.
    Old fart liked totally wuss target loads.

So different from carry loads, wasn't really good for practice.
    Cheap shootin' though, if you just wanted to shoot more.

Just dug around and found 1K Star 158gr JHP............guess I should buy a new Python LOL

Enjoy reloading, by myself............relaxing. Even w heavy metal music in the background :)

Depending on how the .22 Hornet works on chucks, might have to reload for it.
    So small, a little Spar T Lyman press would good for such. I did .243 win w Lee Collet dies on one many yrs ago.
    Worked great. Now I have the bigger Mag T. For handgun the smaller one proly better.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom