• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    What is the procedure in bringing them into IN? I don't have one yet. I'm pretty sure it's a tax stamp item even if it's from a 3rd party?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Short barrel shotguns. You may want to glance around the NFA section here, they're much more knowledgeable than I. A suppressor will ALWAYS be on a stamp to be legal, but moving I have no idea about.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    SBS=Short barreled shotguns.

What do you mean by "third party"?

If you already own a silencer and move to IN, the only procedure you will need to do is notify the ATF of the address change via a letter, they will send you an acknowledgment letter stating the info in the registry has been updated, that is it.

You are not required to notify any IN agency.

AR15LVR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    I think he means a face-to-face by "third party" and not an FFL/NFA Dealer. I don't think that is possible is it?

I don't see why not. Just have to go through the usual steps. Form4: Pictures, finger prints, cleo sign-off/not live in Gary. All that stuff.

AR15LVR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    AWB = Assault Weapons Ban, totally different. These are NFA items.

But, what I meant by Gary is I've read (on this site) the CLEO (the guy who can sign off) isn't silencer/machinegun friendly.

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    Gary does NOT have an AWB.

If you explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish, I can tell you how to go about it legally.

I'm considering buying a silencer where I live now and moving to IN, or moving and buying one there.

I don't know the correct way to go about it though.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Find a class III dealer in your current home state, he will walk you through the process.

I gave a quick and dirty answer in my first post about moving to IN with a NFA item already in your possession.

Or, wait until you move to IN and find a classIII dealer, again, they will walk you through the process.

Also, read this https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/6459-nfa_faq_s.html , it will answer a lot of your questions.

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    Thanks very much for all the help. I will check out some of these other sources for information about this.

This is completely new territory for me.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Your best course of action is to first see if silencers are legal in your current state of residence.

Then do some research on the classIII gun dealers that are close to you.

Then figure out what silencer you want. You will also find that most silencer mfgs keep a very current list of dealers that stock their product, so you might be able to kill two birds with one stone just by researching the type of silencer you want.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If things go as planned just after the 11th of this month.

Do you think I should just wait until I move and buy one up there at some point? I definitely have no dire need for one right now.

Then wait until you get here. If you find one in stock at a store in your state of residence, the wait period on the paperwork is 2-3 months with the BATF. So you really do not have the time if you are moving in the next 2 weeks.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If things go as planned just after the 11th of this month.

Do you think I should just wait until I move and buy one up there at some point? I definitely have no dire need for one right now.

IF you can find the suppressor you want in-state, the paperwork will take MONTHS to get back with approved stamp. If you're talking about moving in > 6 Months, IN is about your only option. If you have to get it transferred to your dealer, THEN apply for the paperwork, add another month or so.

:twocents:

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    I'm definitely waiting. Wow 6 months for paperwork. That's a longer wait then a full FBI background check took for my CCW down here.

Top Bottom