• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Jackson County
    I picked up a Glock 19 for a song, but I need to replace the rear sights. I need some input as to what kind of sights to use. I am considering the options of night sights, or fiber optic sights. Some have told me that they are easy to replace, but I want it done right. Any ideas or suggestions will help me out. I've looked at Midway, and Cheaper Than Dirt. So now I am open to your expertise on this subject. Thanks for taking the time.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    XS Big Dots are an excellent choice.. They do take a bit of getting used to but the payoff is worth it.. I used Novaks for a while and swore by them till I ran XS's for about a month. I'll never look back...

For carry I would shy away from Fiber Optic...

Get something that won't snag on the way out but will allow one handed charging of the firearm if needed...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVCeJ103BQ[/ame]

Last edited:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    XS big dots are a joke. There's a reason you'll never see a competitor using something like that. The only people pushing them are those who sell them. If they really were faster, you'd see them on competition guns. Those guys will do ANYTHING for a faster sight picture.

My suggestion if it's a carry gun is to consider a front night sight and leave the rear all black.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've used both selections that Gamez235 and HICKMAN have recommended, and I will echo those.

I'm currently running XS Big Dots and love 'em.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    XS big dots are a joke. There's a reason you'll never see a competitor using something like that. The only people pushing them are those who sell them. If they really were faster, you'd see them on competition guns. Those guys will do ANYTHING for a faster sight picture.

My suggestion if it's a carry gun is to consider a front night sight and leave the rear all black.

I don't carry a competition gun, nor do I shoot competition.. I shoot for a fight, and for me these have worked the best. I fought tooth and nail and swore these things were a joke too. Till I used them.... I'll never look back...

The XS for me have the fastest target acquisition, and get my rounds where they need to be in a hurry.

I will say HICKMAN (Repped, for reminding me of these) has the one fiber optic I would put out there because they are night sights as well. So if these fit your needs I would go this route. Straight fiber optics for me are a nogo, they gather no light in total dark.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I don't carry a competition gun, nor do I shoot competition.. I shoot for a fight, and for me these have worked the best. I fought tooth and nail and swore these things were a joke too. Till I used them.... I'll never look back...

All I have to say is get a timer. They're not faster. They might seem faster, but I would be willing to bet that you can not shoot faster (while keeping acceptable accuracy) with those sights over the standard notch and post.

If they were faster, you'd see them at matches. You won't, because they're not. You could be the exception, but I highly doubt it.

There's huge money and recognition to be won by doing just a little better at these big matches. I'm not saying that the big-name competitors have it all figured out, but you can bet that they've tried every type of sights that even might be faster.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    All I have to say is get a timer. They're not faster. They might seem faster, but I would be willing to bet that you can not shoot faster (while keeping acceptable accuracy) with those sights over the standard notch and post.

If they were faster, you'd see them at matches. You won't, because they're not. You could be the exception, but I highly doubt it.

There's huge money and recognition to be won by doing just a little better at these big matches. I'm not saying that the big-name competitors have it all figured out, but you can bet that they've tried every type of sights that even might be faster.

Again to point out. I do shoot for money, recognition, or trophies. I don't shoot on well organized courses, groomed lanes, or even at what most might consider a regulation target of any sort. I don't shoot for time, dime size groups, or even points at all.

My range is usually a mess of plates scattered about some field with pallets, vehicles, other random things that in some form or another are most likely considered poor cover.

I don't wear a nice polo with the brand of my favorite whatever on it, or have some fancy holster meant for drawing fast. I usually wear clothes that my wife won't go nuts, for being ruined by rips, dirt, or blood from running and moving like you would in a gun fight. If the guys who made my holster saw how bad of shape is was in, they'd probably ask me what the hell I've been doing and give me a new one.

When your engaging several targets in a no particular order while 1-4 other people are shooting, running for their next position, and all sorts of chaos is unfolding... These work for me and a heck of a lot of other people much better than other offering out there..

*Disclaimer* I am in no way insinuating that all match shooters wear polos, have crazy holsters, or are not fantastic athletes what so ever. I am just pointing out that the two very different shooting styles have techniques that uniquely fit each style and intended goals. Both have equipment that is better suited for each, and may not be the optimal choice for the other style.

XS sights in my opinion are great for COMBAT shooting (Meaning you are shooting bad guys, zombies, commies, and all around dirt bags) and a traditional 3-dot would suit a match shooter (meaning after the buzzer beeps you shoot paper, steel, watermelons, milk jugs, bowling pins, and little metal squirrels)

In the end try as many types as you can and see what fits your needs best..

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I have factory sight on my RIA and I love them. I can see exactly what I'm aiming at and hit the target with no issues at all.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I love how we jump on each other when we ask for suggestions about products and then when someone chimes in to voice their opinion, they get chopped off at the knees.

It's no wonder there are troll watches out

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I have factory sight on my RIA and I love them. I can see exactly what I'm aiming at and hit the target with no issues at all.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I love how we jump on each other when we ask for suggestions about products and then when someone chimes in to voice their opinion, they get chopped off at the knees.

It's no wonder there are troll watches out

I know.. It's Friday night at 930 and I am sitting here doing this. I need a life. Wait, better yet.. Where are my wife and kid???

Did I mention we have our XS sights 20% right now at the shop??

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    traditional 3-dot would suit a match shooter

Actually, you won't see too many of those, either.

I think you have a dead wrong look at competition shooting. I suggest that you actually try it so that you realize it's much closer to "combat" shooting than the picture you've tried to construct in your mind.

And like I said, if you're so sure they're faster, get a timer. You might be surprised what the data tell you. You might even be the exception. But I highly, highly doubt it. ;)

If they are faster, rock on. But I'd put money down that they're not, and I'm not usually the betting type.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I wnat some sights that are as big as dimes, that way I can get on target before the gun even leaves the holster. :D:D

ETA: and I think I'll paint the rears hot pink and the front hunter orange

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I picked up a Glock 19 for a song, but I need to replace the rear sights. I need some input as to what kind of sights to use. I am considering the options of night sights, or fiber optic sights. Some have told me that they are easy to replace, but I want it done right. Any ideas or suggestions will help me out. I've looked at Midway, and Cheaper Than Dirt. So now I am open to your expertise on this subject. Thanks for taking the time.

Since this thread has been jacked and I do not see it getting on course anytime soon I will offer an answer and not an argument. Im not an expert but youll need either a sight pusher or a tap. I have never changed sights out but i know it can be done in 10 minutes or so on a glock.

Look around and see what you like best. if this is going to be an EDC i highly suggest night sights. Don't get big dots if your shooting competition.

hope this helps

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If it makes any difference to you, IMPD and MCSD issue weapons have either Meprolight or Trijicon night sights on them. They're sturdy enough to handle daily wear and tear and they clean off with a toothbrush.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I like and use a Heinie Slant Pro rear (plain black) and a serrated plain black front sight on my G17. Plain black, front and rear, is how all of my pistols are set up (the other two have BoMar BMCS rears). I installed them both myself and you can too.

I used to shoot a red fiber optic front, but found it distracted me from what I need to see, and that is daylight on either side of the font sight blade. My accuracy improved once I switched. And that goes for arms-length out to 75 yds.

While I understand that some will make the distinction between sporting and non-sporting shooting what everyone needs to remember is that shooting is just shooting. The sights have to be aligned enough, the trigger squeezed without disturbing the sights too much, recoil appropriately anticipated, watch the sight the moment it lifts in recoil, and then driving it back down for another shot. Targets and timers don't matter - hits do.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I actually think the sights that came on my first gen G19 many, many moons ago were some of the best I've yet seen for a match and combat gun. A BIG front dot, with a U outline rear. Super fast and easy to put on target, still precise enough for target shooting when I wanted. Loved 'em. Now, if they would make a night sight like that for my Model 64, I'd sell Cathy's Bersa to buy 'em :D

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I actually think the sights that came on my first gen G19 many, many moons ago were some of the best I've yet seen for a match and combat gun. A BIG front dot, with a U outline rear. Super fast and easy to put on target, still precise enough for target shooting when I wanted. Loved 'em. Now, if they would make a night sight like that for my Model 64, I'd sell Cathy's Bersa to buy 'em :D

till she reads this thread anyway :D

Top Bottom