• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • astenftenagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Dubois Co.
    I'm interested in buying a new pistol and I really like the Sig Sauer P220. It is a high priced gun though. I have never shot or handled a Sig Sauer Pistol.

I have done some research and I think I will either buy the Sig Sauer P220 or a Glock 21. Both pistols are chambered at .45 ACP. I would like to hear some opinions about either of these guns, and whether or not the Sig is worth the extra money. Thanks!

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Glock or SIG

I have over 20 years experience with both platforms, Glock & Sig.....am retired LEO and have carried both, and have instructed both, and been thru both armorers school.....Both are excellent pistols, and IMO it simply boils down to what you feel better with a striker fired pistol, or the DA/SA in the SIG....Both are very durable, accurate and dependable. So as I said it boils down to the operators preference. In my book, you cannot go wrong with either, both are considered " training intensive" platforms in my profession.
    The Sig due to it's requirement of decocking b-4 holstering, and the transition you must make when going from the first DA to subsequent SA shots. The Glock, due to the importance of keeping your finger and anything else out of the trigger guard...such as holster straps, etc. when holstering. I have witnessed ND's with both, in the hands of trained people who knew better. Either one will serve you well, just be competent with your choice.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    My brother has a P220, I shot it and it's pretty easy to shoot. But you need strong forearm to control the recoil for the following shot. It shoots just as easy as my Les Baer 45 ACP. Both are full size pistols.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Best answer

I have over 20 years experience with both platforms, Glock & Sig.....am retired LEO and have carried both, and have instructed both, and been thru both armorers school.....Both are excellent pistols, and IMO it simply boils down to what you feel better with a striker fired pistol, or the DA/SA in the SIG....Both are very durable, accurate and dependable. So as I said it boils down to the operators preference. In my book, you cannot go wrong with either, both are considered " training intensive" platforms in my profession.
    The Sig due to it's requirement of decocking b-4 holstering, and the transition you must make when going from the first DA to subsequent SA shots. The Glock, due to the importance of keeping your finger and anything else out of the trigger guard...such as holster straps, etc. when holstering. I have witnessed ND's with both, in the hands of trained people who knew better. Either one will serve you well, just be competent with your choice.
    Can't add a thing. Good comparison. (SIG- couldn't help myself)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It was for me. I have a free Glock from my department, but I chose to pay for and carry my own Sig P220. The department gun sits in my safe until range days or uniformed details.

Is it for you? I don't know. You may shoot the Glock just fine. I always had to work harder to be good with the Glock. The grip angle just isn't right for me and I have never liked the trigger. Its trash. Some will disagree, and I guess its what you are used to, but I came from revolvers and 1911s and the first time I shot a Glock I thought it was broken because the trigger felt so crappy.

The grip angle on the Sig makes it a more natural pointer for me. The grip feels better in my hand, and the trigger is smooth and breaks without stacking. Reset is phenomenal with the SRT trigger. The heft and just the feel of quality of an all metal gun makes me more confident and comfortable with it.

None of that means Glocks are bad guns. Guys who've never known anything but plastic and striker fired probably find it perfectly fine, but I just find it serviceable and no more.

astenftenagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Dubois Co.
    So how does the SA/DA in the Sig work as opposed to a Glock? I'm new to pistols so I have alot of questions.
    I think the Sig sounds like a safer gun though. I wouldnt be Carrying with one in the chamber so the safety on the Glock may not be a problem.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My dad had two 220's and offered me one. I declined.
    Don't care for them, think they look better than Glocks though.
    Of course I can shoot a Glock way better than any of his Sigs (buds have Glocks, I sure as hell don't) :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So how does the SA/DA in the Sig work as opposed to a Glock? I'm new to pistols so I have alot of questions.
    I think the Sig sounds like a safer gun though. I wouldnt be Carrying with one in the chamber so the safety on the Glock may not be a problem.

Carrying without one in the chamber is to be avoided if at all possible (such as employer restrictions). I would suggest you attend a basic pistol training class before you start to carry.

Now, on to your questions.

Neither has a thumb safety. The Sig has no external mechanical safety at all (unless its a single action only variant). The Glock has a little lever doo-dad on the trigger.

A DA/SA pistol can be fired in two ways. Double action or single action. You carry with the hammer down and you draw. Your first pull of the trigger is longer and heavier because it is also cocking the hammer. The slide cycling after each shot cocks the hammer so each additional shot is in single action, with a shorter and lighter trigger pull. You can also go straight to single action by cocking the hammer manually. Before you put the gun away you must drop the hammer back down, which is best accomplished by pushing the de-cocker lever.

Striker fired pistols have no external hammer. The striker (internal hammer, basically) is cocked when you rack the slide to chamber the first round. The trigger pull is consistently the same weight and length. There is no need, or method to, decock before reholstering.

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    P1010039.jpg

My choice....so easy to shoot well. It was the first handgun I ever shot or bought. First mag at 40 feet I put every one in the face of my bad guy target about the size if a fist.

Now, my LC9 is a different story all together:( The Sig made me think I was good.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Do you reload or considering reloading? The Glock has polygonal barrels which will load up shooting lead bullets.

Bought my first 1911 a Sig-Sauer and wow is it smooth and accurate, then sold my XD45 because it wasn't even a close second.

Last edited:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have a Glock and a Sig, although not the particular models the OP is looking at. My vote goes to Glock. I am no fan of my Sig's DA/SA trigger pull. I much prefer platforms that offer a consistent trigger pull with each shot. I have never been able to adjust to DA/SA. Your mileage may vary.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Ford vs chevy

These posts are typical of the decades old "debate" between Glock and Sig' advocates.
    That is why I simply try and provide an objective overview of the two platforms, the potential owner should shoot both of them, before making an investment. They both have pro's and con's depending on which side of the fence you are on. I have trained thousands of officer's with both, over a period of 20 years, and have seen problems and virtues with both designs. The bottom line: regardless of which choice you make, you should be trained, proficient and competent with your sidearm.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    JMO, but I think Sigs are some of the best looking guns ever made.

But I'm not sure I'd buy one. I'm not a fan of DA/SA at all for a rapid-draw gun. Range or having fun when you can slide rack, it's fine. But when I need to be able to draw and gets 2-3 rounds on target as fast as possible, that rules out a DA/SA gun for me-- I'd have to have DAO revolver or striker-fired (essentially DAO also).

In the military, I had to shoot the DA/SA Beretta a ton. I qual'd expert, but it was much harder than it needed to be because of the huge difference in weight and position between the first DA shot and subsequent SA shots. The tendency is to spray that first DA shot. (No, you can't rack before shooting-- the sequence of fire won't allow it). Air Force E-Publishing - Home

I'd make an exception to that rule for a subcompact gun. Why? Because auto-snubbies tend not to be super accurate and forfeit a lot of power (converting powder to flash and recoil, but not ballistic performance). That means, imo, an auto-snubbie is a very short range weapon for my philosophy.

That means the accuracy penalty of the DA/SA transition is likely to be inconsequential. If you can't hit a BG at <10 feet, just drop the gun before you hurt yourself. That's why I'd still consider something like a P238 or P232.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Choosing between a glock and Sig is all about your grip. Some people can hold and shoot glocks naturally, other feel the Sig is better. I can outshoot any glock I've had with my 228, it just feels like it was made for my hand. Try them out first, if you can, if not, do a lot of fondling in the gun store before making your decision. I also prefer DA/SA as opposed to the glock trigger, although I do hate the take-up that Sigs have.

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burns Harbor by the Dunes
    A Sig P220 has never failed me. I got stupid and sold my first one thinking I wanted a different .45. I went to gun shows and gun shops looking for something different in .45. Glocks, M&P's, and 1911's nothing had the right feel. Finally I found a new P-220 with the SRT(short reset trigger), I could not leave without it.
    The grass is not always greener on the other side of the street.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think the first thing any handgun should do and that is to fit your hand. The grip should be secure and feel good.

If the Sig P220 does that then yes it is worth the money.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm interested in buying a new pistol and I really like the Sig Sauer P220. It is a high priced gun though. I have never shot or handled a Sig Sauer Pistol.

I have done some research and I think I will either buy the Sig Sauer P220 or a Glock 21. Both pistols are chambered at .45 ACP. I would like to hear some opinions about either of these guns, and whether or not the Sig is worth the extra money. Thanks!

I recently purchased a Sig P220; it was my first experience with Sig Sauer, although I had wanted one for 10 years. I am blown away with the quality and reliability. I consider my Sig to be a work of gunsmithing art. It is my favorite pistol in my collection, and I highly recommend it. You will not be sorry!

Top Bottom