• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It always did...but seems like it may be in a different price bracket. What's a model 41 going for these days, $1,300 new, and $900+ used?

Yeah, and I do get that. You do have to look for awhile, then jump like he@# when you find it, but you can get decent-quality A's and pre-A's in the $800-$900 bracket. By alomst all accounts of "knowers", the very best 41's are decades old. Modern 41 pistols are decent, but in no way equal to the late 1950's models (pre-A).

Well, yeah; but so does a Ferrari Testarossa.

Oh, I don't wanna hear that crap. For chrissakes, I'm not talking about a Korth, and it's not that kind of a price gap. (and you know it)

I also know that there are some people on this forum that can't afford a beaten-to-heck Ruger Mark 1, but there are VERY much some people that have a safe full of junk they thought they wanted at the time, but either it didn't satisfy what they thought it would, or they just don't "do" that type of gun anymore.

The second set of guys sometimes just keep unsatisfying/uninteresting guns in the safe "because they already own them", and turn around and complain about the cost of a premium, or ultra-premium weapon that they feel they could never afford...

...but leave all their capital tied up.

Sell, trade, and be happy with what you GET, if you are not already happy with what you HAVE.

They are liquid assets.

-Nate

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yeah, and I do get that. You do have to look for awhile, then jump like he@# when you find it, but you can get decent-quality A's and pre-A's in the $800-$900 bracket. By alomst all accounts of "knowers", the very best 41's are decades old. Modern 41 pistols are decent, but in no way equal to the late 1950's models (pre-A).

Oh, I don't wanna hear that crap. For chrissakes, I'm not talking about a Korth, and it's not that kind of a price gap. (and you know it)

I also know that there are some people on this forum that can't afford a beaten-to-heck Ruger Mark 1, but there are VERY much some people that have a safe full of junk they thought they wanted at the time, but either it didn't satisfy what they thought it would, or they just don't "do" that type of gun anymore.

The second set of guys sometimes just keep unsatisfying/uninteresting guns in the safe "because they already own them", and turn around and complain about the cost of a premium, or ultra-premium weapon that they feel they could never afford...

...but leave all their capital tied up.

Sell, trade, and be happy with what you GET, if you are not already happy with what you HAVE.

They are liquid assets.

-Nate

Maybe the price of admission for a 41 sounds like small potatoes to you, but there are plenty of people (myself included) to whom that's a bit much, especially for a gun intended for target shooting and small game hunting only.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Had a chance at a Older 41 for $750.00, passed it. Yup still kicking myself in the nuts for that one. I look at my range guns as toys, just like my bike and boat. Why %$%## about the cost, it's a hobby. Gas prices hitting $3, yeah &**** about that. Friend spends more on green fees for one round of golf than some of my guns, it's his hobby.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I had issues with my Mosquito as well. When it was new it ran well but then it couldn't make it through a mag without jamming up. It was a fun gun to shooting until that. Ended up selling it and using the money on a down payment for another gun.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ...there are plenty of people (myself included) to whom that's a bit much...

If you review, you may note that I allowed for that in my prior response, which was carefully crafted in a broad fashion so as not to call YOUR financial situation or gun inventory out specifically, but since you went here...

Maybe the price of admission for a 41 sounds like small potatoes to you,...

Don't sit there and talk at me and presume to know ANYTHING about my financial situation. Do you know how many hot dogs for dinner and shoveled bushels of corn it takes at $10/hour to pay for a 41?

I do.

Done,

-Nate

Last edited:

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    If you bought the gun new, it came with two springs, one for hotter ammo and one for weaker ammo.
    My youngest daughter has one, I have always ran CCI Mini Mags, I don't think it is the bullet weight so much as the velocity.
    We have never had an issue with it.

Look at your CCI ammo, 1260 FPS or higher is what you need, or switch springs. If you bought it new, look in the box for the other spring.
    Also included with a new one, are 3 different front sights of different heights.

and I thought I had the only one that runs .......... 1000's of cci through ours - and my Daughter loves that it's purple :)

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    and I thought I had the only one the runs .......... 1000's of cci through ours - and my Daughter loves that it's purple :)

I have owned more than a few Mosquito's. Bought a few new ones and got a few in trades. Had issues with 1 shooting it suppressed. Changed the spring and bingo. All the others ran just fine as well but I never ran crap cheap ammo through them either.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you review, you may note that I allowed for that in my prior response, which was carefully crafted in a broad fashion so as not to call YOUR financial situation or gun inventory out specifically, but since you went here...

Don't sit there and talk at me and presume to know ANYTHING about my financial situation. Do you know how many hot dogs for dinner and shoveled bushels of corn it takes at $10/hour to pay for a 41?

I do.

Done,

-Nate

pizk3.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have a question.
    If the weapon does not return solid to battery.
    How does the trigger operate the hammer.
    The weapon should not fire if the slide is not fully seated.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    My wife had the same issues with hers until we started feeding it CCI mini mags. I found the other spring for it, but since it was running fine, I left well enough alone.
    I feel your pain. If you pay money for a new firearm you expect it to at least function. I'm dealing with a new handgun issue but I won't threadjack.
    I'll start another one about my problems with the Kimber Micro 380.:xmad:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Basically, they are not listening to you at all. They are hearing "I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY MOSQUITO" are assuming you are stupid, and just moving forward with the standard cure all fix, and issuing the generic customer service excuse.

Perhaps you are just no explaining yourself adequately, but ammunition power has no bearing at all as to why your gun isn't FIRING (which is what you said in your OP).

A round could be too weak to properly cycle the gun but that's not going to keep the gun from firing, just stop it from successfully completing the loading cycle. If your gun isn't FIRING, then:

1) your hammer isn't hitting the firing pin hard enough

2) your firing pin isn't transferring the blow to the cartridge adequately

3) something is preventing your slide from going into battery and either preventing your gun from firing outright, or robing the ignition system of enough power that it's not working.

Its hard to say which since you didn't tell us anything about WHAT is actually going on with your pistol, just your complaints about the conversation you had with a customer service person who may not even know how guns actually work.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I have a question.
    If the weapon does not return solid to battery.
    How does the trigger operate the hammer.
    The weapon should not fire if the slide is not fully seated.

Ehm. If you are referring specifically to the Mosquito, and that is in fact the case, good.

If you refer to ALL auto pistols that's way, watch out! You're in for a surprise, sooner or later. Many won't, but 'many' isn't "all".

-Nate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    My problem is the Sig Sauer Mosquito not firing a lot of 22 ammo. even the recommended CCI 40 g Ammo.
    Second Sig Sauer warranty service. them telling me initially I put the return spring backwards.
    Then I presume they corrected my error. then when I had the same problem after they corrected it.
    Sig Sauer's Ami blowing me off with "Well we do not import Mosquitos anymore".

Then My next question... If the return spring is not returning the slide to battery. Why does the trigger still operate the hammer and it striking the firing pin.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    My problem is the Sig Sauer Mosquito not firing a lot of 22 ammo. even the recommended CCI 40 g Ammo.
    Second Sig Sauer warranty service. them telling me initially I put the return spring backwards.
    Then I presume they corrected my error. then when I had the same problem after they corrected it.
    Sig Sauer's Ami blowing me off with "Well we do not import Mosquitos anymore".

Then My next question... If the return spring is not returning the slide to battery. Why does the trigger still operate the hammer and it striking the firing pin.

Have you called GSG or American Tactical about it? Since Sig only imported them their technicians might not (probably don't know) the ins and outs of them.

A lot of 22 pistols will fire out of battery, before I stuck a Volquartsen trigger in my Buckmark and backed the overtravel screw to the max my Buckmark could fire .2" or so out of battery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I was browsing the web.
    Guess what I found!
    I found the Sig Sauer Mosquito listed now as,
    AMERICAN TACTICAL - ATI FIREFLY 22LR 4" BLACK 10+1 THREADED by GSG
    All I can say is Buyer Beware!

M67 I just seen your tweet.
    I attempted to find American Tactical or GSG. NO web site.

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I was browsing the web.
    Guess what I found!
    I found the Sig Sauer Mosquito listed now as,
    AMERICAN TACTICAL - ATI FIREFLY 22LR 4" BLACK 10+1 THREADED by GSG
    All I can say is Buyer Beware!

M67 I just seen your tweet.
    I attempted to find American Tactical or GSG. NO web site.

Your Google-Foo is weak Grasshopper. ATI is the US importer of German Sport Guns (GSG), and they both actually have a good reputation for supporting their products. The GSG-1911 is one of the most popular 1911-22 version pistols on the market and is even the same pistol marketed by Sig as their 1911-22. That particular handgun was so popular that Sig stopped producing their own Mosquito and allowed GSG to produce the Firefly to replace it.

https://www.americantactical.us/category/Pistols Main

https://www.german-sport-guns.com/

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    dang.. I had heard general grumbles about the Mosquito. Sorry that it's THAT bad.

Cut your losses. Get a M&P 22, or Buckmark, or Ruger, etc.

I have shot three different GSG Fireflys which to my understanding is the same gun as the Mosquito. A guy at the range I go to tells we a great deal they are. All three jammed before I could finish a mag. I have M&P22 Compact and it eats anything. I have also been happy with Ruger Mark IIIs.

Top Bottom