• ...and so much more!
  • Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Howdy Folks:

I need some advice from my fellow Hoosier gun enthusiasts.

I am looking to purchase myself an early 30th birthday gift, and I just can't decide between the Sig .40 2SUM and the Sig P220 Compact. I will be spending about the same amount of money, so that is not an issue. I already have a full sized .40 cal pistol (Glock 22, which I carry in a paddle holster), but do not have a higher-caliber pistol that can be easily concealed (I am 5'8'' and 140lbs).

I think the 2SUM is attractive because you have two different carry options (full-sized and subcompact), plus you can purchase extra kits to convert the guns to 9MM, 45ACP, and 357SIG (I believe). It seems the the P250 is constructed with cheaper materials, and I have heard that it has some accuracy issues. I am also not sure of the safety mechanism (which the P250 does not seem to have), and worry about an accidental discharge while carrying it concealed.

I truly love the P220--it seems well constructed, and I am very comfortable with firing the .45ACP. I am also a fan of the de-cocking feature.

Which one would you purchase? Why?

For reference, here are links to the guns in questions. I do plan on purchasing from Bud's.

Sig P220
    Sig Sauer 220 Compact 45acp 3.9" 6+1 Nitron Night Sights SHIPS FREE

Sig .40 2SUM

Sig Sauer 250F402SUM P250 2SUM 40 S&W 4.7" 14 Full - 10 Sub SHIPS FREE

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    decisions, decisions

Either one is suitable for almost any task. I tried the polymer Sig and did not tike the way it felt, kinda top heavy and light weight. Ended up with a pair of Sig P245 pistols, the precursor of the 220 compact but without the beavertail. The 245 shoots GREAT and carries quite well. Only issue was the finish on the slide formed a light rusty spot which I cured by having it Metal-life plated. The 220 or 245 will last a lifetime and mine eats anything that fits into the magazine. After 40 plus years of being a died in the wool 1911 fan, I now own and shoot 5 Sigs, none of them polymer.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I've heard a lot of people say the P250 is the worst gun Sig ever built, but I've not owned one myself so I can't give a complete opinion.

Just knowing what I know about Sig handguns though, I'd take a P220 any day of the week.

:twocents:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Having formerly owned a 2SUM in 9mm...

I say go for the 220.

Only 1 mag per frame in the 2SUM - extra mags aren't terribly common and they're relatively expensive. Caliber change kits aren't very common at all - and they're expensive. Then you have to buy more mags to support the caliber change...

Also, SIG changed the P250 frame early in it's life. This Gen 1 frame & mags aren't compatible with the Gen 2 frames & mags. (Gen 1 frame has a rounded accessory rail - as well as differences in the mag well) This can make it difficult to find new magazines as well.

The good: Mine were quite accurate. Absolutely accurate enough. The full-sized gun was a honey pie to shoot. Good looking, too. + night sights.

And to think - I traded a Saiga-12 for that 2SUM....*sigh*

-J-

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    P220 hands down. If I have a choice between a classic Sig and their new polymer ones for the same price I'll take the classic any day of the week.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    The 2SUM is not even in the same league as the p220 or any of its variants. This is not to say that the 250 is a bad gun, it's just not for everyone. It has a long DAO trigger pull, but it is smooth. I've never found them to be of poor quality.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The 2SUM is not even in the same league as the p220 or any of its variants. This is not to say that the 250 is a bad gun, it's just not for everyone. It has a long DAO trigger pull, but it is smooth. I've never found them to be of poor quality.

Thanks for your reply. This is one of the main reasons I went ahead and ordered the P220 from Bud's today. I got it for $621...which I found shocking because I the only other one I had seen for that cheap was used.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I've heard a lot of people say all polymer frames are the worst guns Sig ever built, but I've not owned one myself so I can't give a complete opinion.

Just knowing what I know about Sig handguns though, I'd take a P220 any day of the week.

:twocents:
    FIFY

Working at a range and being a Sig fan, Sig tried to compete with Glock, XD, and Smith in the plastic gun market and failed miserably. If you want a polymer framed gun go with the a fore mentioned but if you want a good Sig Sauer go with 229, 226, or 220 you pay more but there is a reason. :twocents:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Working at a range and being a Sig fan, Sig tried to compete with Glock, XD, and Smith in the plastic gun market and failed miserably. If you want a polymer framed gun go with the a fore mentioned but if you want a good Sig Sauer go with 229, 226, or 220 you pay more but there is a reason. :twocents:

I disagree. The 2022 is the best kept secret in polymer handguns.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    UPDATE: I just got home from Beech Grove Firearms with a brand new Sig P220 (which was actually purchased from Bud's). No regrets whatsoever! Can't wait to shoot this bad boy! Thanks again for your help, everyone!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    UPDATE: I just got home from Beech Grove Firearms with a brand new Sig P220 (which was actually purchased from Bud's). No regrets whatsoever! Can't wait to shoot this bad boy! Thanks again for your help, everyone!

Congrats. I've been thinking about ordering one myself at that price. I like the full sized P220 a lot.

Do you have a full size? If so, how do you find the recoil compares? Will mags from the full size fit the compact?

Top Bottom