• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruno8pnk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2010
    Hi All,

I just purchased a new P250, very disappointed on how it shoots. I am a pretty good shot, but I am shooting 6" low at 25 feet. Reading the manual, sig has a higher rear sight to solve the problem - maybe.

Heres my problem - I called Sig CS for help, the CS agent I spoke with told me that I was shooting the gun wrong that I should be aiming at 12 oclock. That is news to me. I also own a P229 and have no issues with it. I am wonder if this guy is blowing smoke up the chimney?

Help
    Thanks for your replies.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, I've never heard of a gun being set up for a 12 o'clock hold, but if indeed SIG is doing that his explanation is plausible, if somewhat laughable. I'd say he's making it up. I think I saw a chart out on the interwebz that indicates the factory set up for all SIGs. You could compare the numbers on your sights with that if you can find it.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Hi All,

I just purchased a new P250, very disappointed on how it shoots. I am a pretty good shot, but I am shooting 6" low at 25 feet. Reading the manual, sig has a higher rear sight to solve the problem - maybe.

Heres my problem - I called Sig CS for help, the CS agent I spoke with told me that I was shooting the gun wrong that I should be aiming at 12 oclock. That is news to me. I also own a P229 and have no issues with it. I am wonder if this guy is blowing smoke up the chimney?

Help
    Thanks for your replies.

A defensive pistol should shoot roughly to point of aim at 25 feet. Ammo could be an issue, but the sights seem to be the issue. And a 12 o'clock hold is just unnatural.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    OK whats a 12 o'clock hold?

Indy_Guy has it exactly right, but as context, many people like a "6 o'clock" hold on their weapons because your sights then don't obscure part of the target. It's the classic "pumpkin on a post" sight picture. So, theoretically a pistol could be set up in the opposite way, as a "12 o'clock" hold...but it wouldn't make any sense, as the target would be completely obscured by your sights.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    sightimages.jpg

Under, Cut, and Cover

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Defensive pistols need to have a POA/POI kind of sighting. You are not going to remember to "hold high" when you need it most. That is just silly.

As far as the P250, let me give you a bit of help and see if you can move your POI up a bit.

First, make sure the pistol is sitting as low in your hand as it can. In other words, let the frame rest on the top of your strong hand. The P250 has a "high barrel axis" already and if you hold it differently than I suggest, you are going to have problems with it.

Secondly, what weight ammo are you shooting from it? Lighter bullets are by nature going to hit low, um, period. Nothing you can do about that, it is physics BUT, you can shoot heavier bullets. Heavier = higher. Most folks that shoot a 45ACP nowadays are a bit leary of recoil so they buy light bullets to compensate, say, less than 185gr. With fixed sights, this will kick you in the rump every time.

The felt recoil with the P250 will be more no matter what caliber because of the higher barrel axis. I have the P250 too. It came with two barrels, 357Sig and 40S&W. It is the compact version. It shoots POA/POI and yours should too.

The last suggestion is to shoot it from a solid rest. Because it is DAO, it can be hard to shoot accurately but it can be done. I am an old revolver shooter and can shoot it pretty well. Very accurate.

Hope this helps.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    What's the number on the front sight? It can be replaced with a shorter one that will raise the point of impact. I have a few sig front sight lying around and may have one that will help solve your problem.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Does the gun shoot a good group? If the gun shoots well, sights can be changed to make it where you want it to. If you need help changing the rear sight, let me know. I have been through the P250 armorer course and changing the rear sight is somewhat complex for such a simple gun.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I have had a P250 2Sum (full size and subcompact) in .40S&W for about 18 months and have been very disappointed in its accuracy. Perhaps accuracy is not the right word because the gun can shoot tight groupings, but the groups are at least 18" low when holding my standard sight picture ("pumpkin on a post"). I tried other sight pictures, including the "military" sight picture where the bullseye is covered by the front sight...again, I'm low about 8-10" at 21 feet.

I finally got tired of it being a safe queen (if it doesn't shoot well, I'm not using it), and called Sig's Customer Service Dept yesterday to explain the situation. They agreed to take a look at it as a warranty issue. I don't know how they will resolve the issue, but at least they agreed to check out my complaint. I suspect they will simply swap out the front sight for a shorter one.

Suggest the OP contact Sig's Customer Service Dept again. For what it's worth, I spoke to a CSR by the name of Joshua Adams and he agreed to accept it as a warranty issue. Supposed to be free work, including the shipping to/from Sig.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've never shot a sig that didn't shoot low.

Seems to be the nature of the beast for me. Typically the dead center of the front sight post is where the bullet will land at 25 yards, if not an inch or 2 lower.

At closer ranges it seems to be more obvious, it's dead on at 50 yards for some reason. I have an adjustable sight on it with the height maxed.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    This may help:
    SIG SAUER
    My SigSauer pistol is not accurate. Why? What should I do?
    All SigSauer production duty/combat pistols are set up to use a "combat" sight picture. This is where the front sight completely covers the bulls eye of the target. Using a six o'clock ("pumpkin on a post") or center mass ("half'n'half") sight picture will result in low impact. SigSauer, Inc sights in all non-sporting and non-target pistols for 2.5 inch groupings @ 15 yards. If you are still having trouble please contact Customer Service for further help and instruction. Please have your serial number ready. There are also very helpful free Internet sites that cover pistol group analysis.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I have had a P250 2Sum (full size and subcompact) in .40S&W for about 18 months and have been very disappointed in its accuracy. Perhaps accuracy is not the right word because the gun can shoot tight groupings, but the groups are at least 18" low when holding my standard sight picture ("pumpkin on a post"). I tried other sight pictures, including the "military" sight picture where the bullseye is covered by the front sight...again, I'm low about 8-10" at 21 feet.

I finally got tired of it being a safe queen (if it doesn't shoot well, I'm not using it), and called Sig's Customer Service Dept yesterday to explain the situation. They agreed to take a look at it as a warranty issue. I don't know how they will resolve the issue, but at least they agreed to check out my complaint. I suspect they will simply swap out the front sight for a shorter one.

Suggest the OP contact Sig's Customer Service Dept again. For what it's worth, I spoke to a CSR by the name of Joshua Adams and he agreed to accept it as a warranty issue. Supposed to be free work, including the shipping to/from Sig.

Well, I received my Sig P250 2Sum back today from Sig (took 2 weeks from the day I dropped it off at UPS). I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but the note from their shop indicates they replaced rear sight on the full size slide and replaced the ENTIRE SLIDE on the subcompact.

They returned 2 targets, with 5 shots fired at each target from 15 yards with each pistol. The full size pistol shot one ragged hole, but I can in fact count the edges of 5 bullets that can literally be covered up a nickel. The target shot by the subcompact has 3 holes that can be covered up by a penny, with 2 "flyers", yet all 5 holes can be covered up by a half dollar. Both targets show impacts at the exact same placement on the target (it looks kind of like a box with a big V in it), so I'm hoping, really hoping that these changes will bring the shot placement up to where I typically align my sight picture on the target all my other handguns.

To the OP (and any others with low shooting P250's), I encourage you to contact Sig and have them fix your pistols. I did not have to coerce them to look at mine...I simply told them how I aligned my sights and where the guns were shooting. Cost me absolutely nothing except I was without my Sig P250 2Sum for 2 weeks.

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    I suffer from this too.

I bought my P250SC 40 in early summer, have shot about 300 rds through it on a couple occasions, with various ammo brands and types (JHP an FMJ, 155/165/175/180g) and man does it shoot low.

I like the DA trigger, and on the paranoia that it was something I was doing, I had the FFL holder I got it through fire it, he is also a gunsmith, and he had a competitive shooter try it also. They both said they can't believe how low it shoots. I'd say @ 7 yds it's easily 6-8" low. My grouping is fairly consistant, but ALL low. Even fired from a bench rest same result.

Called SIG and they've told me on 2 occasions (2 different reps) that all their pistols besides their 1911s use a "12 o'clock" sight picture, as others have noted in this thread. The image posted on the first page in a response with 3 target pictures USED TO BE up on Sig's website, but is no longer. If you click on their "Sight Picture" link under customer service, the page contains no further info. Both Reps I spoke with said that that info was removed because it wasn't accurate. Both reps told me that if I wanted to hit the center of a medium-sized pumpkin at 10 yards, aim for the stem of the pumpkin. Makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to me, especially when this is my defensive carry weapon.

I have my gunsmith investigating sighting options cause the reps made it sound like everything is within factory specs and it would be a waste of money for me to ship it back to SIG.

I really like the ergos of the pistol, and the fact that the SC carries 10 rds of 40 per mag. Just wish I could get it modified with a more intuitive sight picture.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis

Hmmm...very helpful. I've strongly considered getting a 2SUM. Through my research, you're not the only one who has has accuracy issued with it. Does anyone else here have this issue? How about the Sig P220? Any accuracy issues?

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    *UPDATE*

FINALLY talked to someone @ SIG today who seemed to know what they were doing, and am shipping off my p250 SC 40 to investigate why it hits so low.

What's really strange is the inconsistency among the phone reps - this person was 1 of 3 I've spoken with that verified what i've read online, that the "combat picture" is correct, and that my weapon already has the HIGHEST rear sight installed.

I really don't care technically at this point, just FIX IT!!! :wallbash:

Top Bottom