• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    I've been looking at various platforms, and am intrigued by the Sig P229 in .357 sig. I like that fact that you can switch calibers simply by dropping in a different barrel. I've been a Glock owner in the past, but am looking for something different. Say what you want about the national government, but they do a lot of due diligence when picking their weapons, and the P229 has some high marks with several different agencies.

There is a deal from an online shop for a "certified pre-owned" P229 with night sights for $659. Comes with 2 12 round mags. This is more than I'd like to spend, but I could be swayed to spend more coin if the opinions of the weapon are overwhelmingly positive. Of course I'd love to hold one, or even better fire one before making a purchase decision.

What say you?

77broncoman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    I've got a 229 with both barrels and it is a wonderful gun. I bought mine used at Bradis about 5 years back.

The price you listed is OK and it would be very helpful to see the gun in person before buying to examine wear, see how it feels, etc. You might try to hold out for a slightly better deal on a local used one via INGO or Armslist.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    Most of the prices I've seen have been in the upper $700-800 range and even up into the $900s. Not sure if it's due to the current frenzy or not. But those prices are out of the realm of possibility for me.

Gino66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    SWIN
    bought mine in 94, when I carried a 1911 faithfully. Carry the Sig all the time now, without fear it will work if needed. I just have the .357 but am interested now in acquiring the .40 barrel too. I say go for it, you won't be disappointed IMHO

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    It's a fine weapon; the price seems just "ok" to me, but I haven't been looking for one recently, so like everything else, the price may have risen. I'd want to know what the "Certified, Pre-Owned" certification you are paying for actually consists of, though. If the one I got had non-cosmetic issues, I'd want some recourse, since I assume you won't be able to see it in advance.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If the CPO procedure means that it has been "resprung" by SIG, then it's an OK deal.

Not at all stellar. Still seems quite high for a used 229...with only two magazines. I think respringing is a $130 charge from if you were to have it done on your own.

The .357 Sig is a decent round in the 229. Still a bit snappy in my opinion. I personally think that a full sized Glock handles the round better than the 229, but I admit I don't have much experience running either platform in that caliber.

-J-

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    My buddy has a newer P229 and loves it. I've shot it a couple of times and really like it. I believe that he paid about $800 for his. I'm sure that you will like it.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I may take you up on that. I'm on the NE side of Indy, but since you would be letting me try out your gun, I could come to you and supply the ammo.

Fine with me. The only catch is do to my work it would have to be a sunday evening or monday morning.

Let me know and maybe we can meet up. Ive got private land in the woods of Morgan County

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sounds good. I'll PM you sometime this week and we can set up something for next Sunday. :yesway:

Sweet!

Just so you know mine is the SAS Gen2 model. It has the SRT trigger and the newer ergo grips. So it will be a little different that the older style P229s. Ill bring my P228 also, Its a 9mm but its more similar to the older P229 grips and trigger.

Ill bring some other fun stuff too. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom