• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    How does one prepare for when the SHTF happens? It seems like quite a large undertaking. Where to begin.

If you are a competent, common sense individual, have some outdoor skills, (camping, hunting, marksmanship) and are not afraid to make decisions that effect your life then you are on a good track. Add to this having some tools and supplies that would be used to tide you over in the event of an emergency. If I was a large city dweller, I might be looking for a place that wasn't quite as populated to bug out to. That could be with like minded relatives, friends or a weekend retreat. Dependent upon the type of emergency none of us may be in the right area or prepared for that particular emergency. One can only try to do your best.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    If you are a competent, common sense individual, have some outdoor skills, (camping, hunting, marksmanship) and are not afraid to make decisions that effect your life then you are on a good track. Add to this having some tools and supplies that would be used to tide you over in the event of an emergency. If I was a large city dweller, I might be looking for a place that wasn't quite as populated to bug out to. That could be with like minded relatives, friends or a weekend retreat. Dependent upon the type of emergency none of us may be in the right area or prepared for that particular emergency. One can only try to do your best.

Just some quick thoughts to expand on the above if you have camping gear (stove, lantern, fuel etc) potable water or access to water, toiletry supplies, adequate shelter and clothing suitable for the environment. I recently bought multi fuel stoves and lantern to supplement my standbys. As far as food, I have the usual favorites, peanut butter, crackers, canned veggies & soups, chocolate bars, saltines, rice, flour, sugar, coffee, tea, cocoa, etc. I haven't invested in MRE's but keep an adequate supply of food in the pantry and rotate stock. Freezer with meat (electricity) we use alternative heat supplies for winter in the house and I have plenty stockpiled.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I remember growing up in Northern Illinois and people always had a little extra in the larder for when you were snowed in for a week. There are a lot of flavors of SHTF...having extra on hand to take advantages of sales, to reduce trips to the grocery store, or an ice storm, tornado what have you...it's just prudent and doesn't necessarily have to be capital "S" survivalist, rather just being prepared for the hiccups that can occur in our highly complex civilization.

Top Bottom