• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I'm looking for recommendations for a scope for a 20 gauge semi auto. The plan is to shoot slugs this deer season. I'm not looking for anything too fancy and would like to keep it under $150. Doing a quick search, the top two seemed to be Bushnell XLT 1.5-4x32 and the Simmons Pro Diamond. I have a 4x32 ProDiamond for a 12 ga that my brother uses on his shotgun. I like the $50-70 price range for that but am keeping my options open. Thanks.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Bushnell is a good choice, I would also look at some of the vortex line of scopes and maybe some nikons (may be $50-75 over your limit though). Stay away from Simmons, had a rimfire scope from them that had the crosshair disintegrate, and their CS is abysmal.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Simmons 4X shotgun scopes I saw had generous eye relief, at the cost of field of view.
    Don't care for such limitations.

Last 2 deer I killed were at 50 and 75 yards, 2X and 3X.

Blasted a few movers with other scopes at 1 or 1.5X. Easy.

Used to have a couple of Bushnells, several yrs ago. They did fine. But they moved production and quality really took a dump.
    Also, the eyepieces were huge and when using a clam shell mount (Aimtech/B Square type) one will probably find the power ring goes right up the rear of the rail. Might want to bevel that back edge of rail, if using such mounts. Dunno why they don't have that done at the factory.

Can't recommend the Bushnells or other lower end scopes anymore. Seen too many warranty issues come through (used to work at a shop). Would steer clear of Nikon Buckmasters as well.

Hate to say it, anymore the cheapest scope I'll run is a Redfield Revolution 2-7X.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Understand budgets, this crappy economy...........and how a deer gun may get used only a couple of days a season tops.

For me, I burn too much in gas, time and effort to risk a hunt to a bargain scope.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Take a look at the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x and 2-7x. Really nice scopes for the money plus Vortex stands behind their products. They'll be over your $150 budget but with some smart shopping it won't be much.

Understand budgets, this crappy economy...........and how a deer gun may get used only a couple of days a season tops.

For me, I burn too much in gas, time and effort to risk a hunt to a bargain scope.

Not to mention as short as our firearms season is, you'd better be able to make your shot count, it might be your only one.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Take a look at the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x and 2-7x. Really nice scopes for the money plus Vortex stands behind their products. They'll be over your $150 budget but with some smart shopping it won't be much.

Not to mention as short as our firearms season is, you'd better be able to make your shot count, it might be your only one.
    Vortex has THE BEST customer service for optics I have ever dealt with. Ruined a scope by overtorqueing (I didn't even realize until I sent it in) and they knew it was my fault and they replaced it no questions asked. I purchased their rimfire line of scopes to replace my crappy Simmons rimfire that broke and I have confidence it will work well, and if it doesn't they will resolve the issue.

Dont buy budget scopes, just don't. I've learned the hard way that it's well worth avoiding the hassle of budget glass and spending a little more for quality glass.

Top Bottom