• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hokie4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Just moved to Indiana from PA and I need to pick up a shotgun for deer season since Indiana hunting laws do not allow me to use my trusty .270... I dont really have any experience with shotguns, nor do I have any idea where to start looking for one. Ideally, I would have a dedicated bird/trap gun and a dedicated slug gun, but money doesnt grow on trees. Ive looked around some and I've heard a lot of mixed opinions. It looks like my options are to either get something where I can switch barrels between a rifled barrel and a smooth barrel (like a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500), or just use a smooth barrel and switch out the choke depending on whether Im shooting birdshot or slugs. I'd also like to have a scope on the deer setup if possible. Any thoughts/opinions/wisdom/recommendations would be much appreciated. Let me know what kind of setup you think works best and what gun I should check out (Im looking to keep it under $500). Thanks

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Remington and Mossberg both put on combo's that come with a long field barrel (usually come with 1 choke but the ability to switch them out) and a shorter slug barrel with rifle sights. Both can routinely be had for under $350.

Ex at Buds: Mossberg 54264 500 COMBO 12 28AC/24RSRB $329.00 SHIPS FREE

Mossy 500 with 28" ventrib and 24" Fully rifled slug barrel.

Often the 24" rifled barrel is replaced with a 20" smoothbore barrel with Improved-modified choke, but has rifle sights on top (I've got an 870 combo like this I like fairly well.)

I'll point this out since you said you don't have much shotgun experience: "Rifled" slugs - like Remington Sluggers - are actually for use in smooth-bore barrels. They've rifling molded into the lead for stabilization. If you have a dedicated slug barrel with rifling, you'll want 'Sabot" slugs, which can expand to fill the rifling and work like that is intended to.

Add: Just found this that will probably fit what you're wanting better.
    Mossberg 54243 500 COMBO 12 28AC/24SBRB DC $349.00 SHIPS FREE

Same deal - Mossy 500 with 28" smoothbore and 24" rifled barrel but the 24" has a built on mount extending over the receiver for mounting a scope.

^-- Those are just examples.Talking with the people at a local gun shop will yield a lot more and better information on what's actually out there... plus likely they'll have one on hand you can fondle and get 1st hand assessment on.

And Welcome to :ingo:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Remington and Mossberg both put on combo's that come with a long field barrel (usually come with 1 choke but the ability to switch them out) and a shorter slug barrel with rifle sights. Both can routinely be had for under $350.

Ex at Buds: Mossberg 54264 500 COMBO 12 28AC/24RSRB $329.00 SHIPS FREE

Mossy 500 with 28" ventrib and 24" Fully rifled slug barrel.

Often the 24" rifled barrel is replaced with a 20" smoothbore barrel with Improved-modified choke, but has rifle sights on top (I've got an 870 combo like this I like fairly well.)

I'll point this out since you said you don't have much shotgun experience: "Rifled" slugs - like Remington Sluggers - are actually for use in smooth-bore barrels. They've rifling molded into the lead for stabilization. If you have a dedicated slug barrel with rifling, you'll want 'Sabot" slugs, which can expand to fill the rifling and work like that is intended to.

Add: Just found this that will probably fit what you're wanting better.
    Mossberg 54243 500 COMBO 12 28AC/24SBRB DC $349.00 SHIPS FREE

Same deal - Mossy 500 with 28" smoothbore and 24" rifled barrel but the 24" has a built on mount extending over the receiver for mounting a scope.

^-- Those are just examples.Talking with the people at a local gun shop will yield a lot more and better information on what's actually out there... plus likely they'll have one on hand you can fondle and get 1st hand assessment on.

And Welcome to :ingo:

EXCELLENT POST. rep inbound.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You don't need a shotgun for deer season ;)
    If you have a .35 Rem rifle you can trim cases and be legal, or use factory cartridges that fit with the deer cartridge spec (.44 mag, .460 S&W, .357 mag/max etc.)

Shotguns are cool, and can do double duty, but IMHO for best deer results a shotgun should be of a more dedicated type- high comb, possibly low mounted scope, rifled or rifle choketube, and a decent trigger.

So swapping a rig from birds to bambi, is usually too much of a compromise. The interchangeable comb stocks on some Mossbergs work to help alleviate some of the problem.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW the "rifling" of the "rifled slugs" is so they can have full bore contact with less material, allow easier passage through various chokes.... with lessened fouling.

Last edited:

Hokie4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Ok, I went to a local gun store tonight and checked some guns out. I'll make this easy. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 and 12 gauge or 20 gauge? If you had a $500 budget what would you get and why? Honestly, I like the looks and feel of the Remington, but the features and the price of the Mossberg. As for the 20 vs 12, I like the weight of the 20, but I feel like I would miss out if I didnt get a 12.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I were buying a dedicated deer gun for Indiana, it wouldn't be a shotgun. Too many better options out there now. If your mind is made up to ONLY get a shotgun for deer, then get the 20 ga. if it feels better. A good 20 ga. slug will easily kill any animal on this continent, and deer aren't that hard to kill.

As we hoosiers have grudgingly moved out of the stone ages of "shotgun only" firearms season, many of us have realized that bigger (i.e. 12 Gauge) isn't always better. At $3-4 every time you pull the trigger, economically there are better options (anything other than shotgun slugs.) Recoil off of a bench becomes not real enjoyable pretty quickly which means not much practice. A caliber like the .44 mag is a proven deer caliber, has half the recoil of a 12 ga. and is a fraction of the price to shoot. The .44 isn't a long range proposition like some of the wildcats being built, but neither is a shotgun.

Shoot, most guys I know and hunt with weren't even using shotguns before the PCR's were allowed. Most (including myself) were using their inline muzzleloaders because of the reasons listed above as well as extended range and better accuracy.

All that being said, if you like the feel of the 20 ga., go for it. It will work just fine, and I would suggest the 20 over the 12 anyways (for many of the reasons already listed.) Just thought since you were new to Indiana deer hunting, you might want to hear about one guy's evolution away from the shotgun for deer.

Last edited:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    You will be ok no matter which way you go. However, since you asked.......

Rem 870 in 12 gauge

Have an old wingmaster I've hunted with for a lot of years. I've beat it around, dropped it outta the stand and chipped the forearm, and it's still a favorite of mine. I've had Mossy 500s, and got rid of them. One thing about them is the forearm seems to rattle more than the Rem.

Good luck

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    If you are on a budget you cant go wrong with a Remington 870 combo. If you can spare a few more bucks grab a Remington 1100/1187 Semi Auto! You will love them! Go with 12ga....you take a 20ga to a turkey hunt, the turkey will be laughing at you while they are flying away.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Lots of good info above.

Agree if just looking for a deer gun, you should check out the legal rifle offerings.

As for the shotgun choice, I am partial to the Rem 870 personally. If budget minded-you can pick one up easily in that range even at WalMart with cash left for a red dot or scope.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shotguns work, and work well.
    I built two 870's into wicked slug machines, both rifled bbls, running WW Hi-Impact Supremes. They were both good shooters and 150 yard capable.

Recoil.............helps the pump guns almost self cycle, which is kinda fun on a moving buck.
    If one hole behind the shoulder is good, two or three has got to be better ;)

Found an old Police 870 and decided to go old school smoothbore one season. Worked just fine

picture.php

Whatever gun you choose, have fun with it :)

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I will stick with the Remington 870. Absolutely love them and have trusted them since I first started carrying them in the Air Force in 1989. I own two, one in 12 and the other in 20 (For one of my sons). Extremely accurate and have harvested a few bucks with mine. I use Lightfield slugs and seem to drop the animal on the spot.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Mossbergs were the deer choice back in the day, when everything was smoothbore. They seemed to lock up a little better, be more accurate.

I too prefer the 870, have had a dozen in various forms.

There is one advantage of the M500 though...........left handers. Yeah they make left handed 870's........but if one wants a gun that can be used by both left and right handed family members, the top mounted safety of the 500 allows for it.

My brother is a lefty, doesn't mind the empties crossing his line of sight, and runs a 500.

Of course the BPS and M37 work for either or, but tend to be a bit more pricey.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    At $3-4 every time you pull the trigger, economically there are better options (anything other than shotgun slugs.)

Assuming you're talking higher end Sabot rounds? I'm buying Rem Slugger rifled slugs for .50c a pop. .80c regular price off the shelf at a major sporting goods store.

I prefer my Rem 870 w/ 20" barrel, IC choke with rifle sights when going for deer; over my Moss 500 w/ 24" rifle sighted barrel. Just find it more comfortable (the extra weight for recoil absorption and I think it helps steady me when free standing), thus aiding confidence and such. At least I think...it hasnt exactly worked out well for me...yet :rolleyes:

(also thanks for the props guys, wasn't expecting it)

Last edited:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Assuming you're talking higher end Sabot rounds? I'm buying Rem Slugger rifled slugs for .50c a pop. .80c regular price off the shelf at a major sporting goods store.

(also thanks for the props guys, wasn't expecting it)
    Yep.:yesway: Hornady SSTs, Federal w/Barnes, etc. run $13-$16 per 5! To really get the best (velocity, tractory, performance at range) from the shotgun platform these are what to use.

For the record, when I did hunt with a shotgun, it was a Mossberg 500 in 12 ga. with 24" rifled barrel w/ 4x scope. I shot the 2 3/4 Lightfield Hybrids. Not necessarily recommending it, but it worked for years. Killed every deer I shot with it, though the farthest shot was 70ish yards.

Shootmore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I really like the Ithaca Model 37 Deer Slayer 12 guage for reliability and accuracy.I prefer the fixed rifle barrel. For Whitetails. You get what you pay for is so true with guns.I just use a red dot scope. A decent inexpensive variable scope is a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5.
    I use to have a Remington 12 guage Wing Master for all around hunting.A great gun they need to bring back into production.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I would go with the 12ga over the 20ga shooting slugs a heaver gun will be a plus in more that one way.
    I like the Mossberg 500 with the cantilevered scope mount/rifled slug barrel, it is what I use to harvest Bambi.
    I use the Remington Premier Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded Slugs they will easily reach out 150yds, 200yds on a calm day. They cost a little more ($20/5) but how much more is a long distance rifle worth.
    http://www.remington.com/products/a...emier-core-lokt-ultra-bonded-sabot-slugs.aspx

Last edited:

Hokie4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Ok, change of events. I picked up an old 870 pump for birds. Now I need a slug gun or recommendations for a rifle thats legal in Indiana. Still somewhat on a budget so keep it under $500. This is going to be a dedicated deer gun so I dont need to worry about switching out barrels. And muzzleloaders are out of the question. Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated. Thanks to everyone who posted so far.

Top Bottom