• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    What a feeling! I finally gathered all the equipment and components together, reloaded my first box of 9mm rounds, and made a trip to Roush Lake this afternoon to try them out. And I'm happy to report that all my fingers are intact and no malfunctions were experienced.

I put together a batch of 115 grain Rainier 9mm loads using Unique (4.5 gr. and 5.0) and Universal (4.0 and 4.5) According to the Rainier site, their bullets should be loaded same at lead, so that is where I started. I wanted a soft load just for plinking / punching paper and something that would still cycle my pistols. Both my XD and my Sig P6 ran fine, and I even shot some small groups - at least for me. I am stoked! Now i can't wait to try working up some .38 loads for my next trip.

One thing I did learn this week: I need a powder dispenser. Working with the dippers is fine for small batches, but much too slow for me once I settle on a load and want to crank out a bunch. So... I'll be adding a bit more equipment now too.
    ---
    GB!

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I am going to load up my first box of 9 tomorrow night. I plan on taking them out with me for a shoot on Sat. Hopefully when I get back I can still type.....:draw:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Welcome to the world of reloading! It's very empowering and addicting. You'll be shooting better because you can do it more often and all those empty cases give you the perfect excuse to load 'em back up! :)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Congrats! Not sure about you, but when I fired my batch of reloads, I was take aback how more stouts they were.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Oh sheesh! When I hit "New Posts" and started scrolling through I first read, "Shot my first LANDLORDS today!"

I didn't know there was a season on landlords... If so, what's the limit? Should 88GT consider hunkering down for a month or so?

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Ha ha! Yeah, I can think of a few landlords that I might consider....

Anyway, thanks for all the support for INGO. I am sure that I will be posting more questions on this forum as I run across issues with my reloading adventures. I am really glad I got started in this new pastime too. It just seems like a logical extension to my shooting hobby, and I'm glad to be a member of this club.
    ---
    GB!

CowboyGreg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    Welcome tot he next leg of the hobby, reloading.
    It becomes like an addiction, shoot more, load more, shoot more, load more, keep repeating.
    Wait till the bullet casting bug gets you. (evil laugh)

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I put together a batch of 115 grain Rainier 9mm loads using Unique (4.5 gr. and 5.0) and Universal (4.0 and 4.5) According to the Rainier site, their bullets should be loaded same at lead, so that is where I started. I wanted a soft load just for plinking / punching paper and something that would still cycle my pistols. Both my XD and my Sig P6 ran fine, and I even shot some small groups - at least for me. I am stoked! Now i can't wait to try working up some .38 loads for my next trip.

One thing I did learn this week: I need a powder dispenser. Working with the dippers is fine for small batches, but much too slow for me once I settle on a load and want to crank out a bunch. So... I'll be adding a bit more equipment now too.
    ---
    GB!

Awesome! I load 9mm using Berry's plated bullets. Accurate has some good load data specifically for plated bullets (including the Rainier), you can find it here:

Load Data « Accurate Powders

It is only for Accurate powders, though.

What kind of press are you using?

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I am using mostly Lee equipment - single stage press and dies. But since I have been picking up stuff here and there for a while, I have RCBS too - .38 dies and scales are RCBS.

I do have a question for you veterans. How many rounds to you load up when you are trying out new bullets or powders combos? 10 or 20 at different loads? 50? Do you work up a range of powder levels to try - for example: 4.2 grains = 10 cases. 4.4 grains = 10 cases. Or do you jump up .5 at a time and load more to test it out? Just curious how folks go about testing out new bullet/powder combos.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I am using mostly Lee equipment - single stage press and dies. But since I have been picking up stuff here and there for a while, I have RCBS too - .38 dies and scales are RCBS.

I do have a question for you veterans. How many rounds to you load up when you are trying out new bullets or powders combos? 10 or 20 at different loads? 50? Do you work up a range of powder levels to try - for example: 4.2 grains = 10 cases. 4.4 grains = 10 cases. Or do you jump up .5 at a time and load more to test it out? Just curious how folks go about testing out new bullet/powder combos.

First, congrats on your reloading success. To answer your question, I usually load up 50 test rounds at a time. It usually takes me 10-15 shots to get dialed in, and then I want a few more rounds to experiment with. I haven't took the plunge on a chronograph yet, so this number could very well change one day.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I usually only run 10 rounds, one at a time....I first and foremost do not want a bullet stuck in the barrel

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom