• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    Went to Atterbury this afternoon with a friend. Took my Mauser and the borrowed Remmy 1100 to practice with the slugs.

Short version is, I need a buttstock pad for the Mauser and to NOT shoot 30 rounds in 90 minutes. I also learned that I need to just relax with the shotgun and don't jerk the trigger. :n00b:

Other thing I learned today is that when I buy my own deer gun, hopefully for next year, I'm gonna want to try out something besides a 12 ga. Likely a single-shot version of one of these: 20ga, .357 Magnum, .44 Mag or .45 LC. I like the idea of .357 or .44 as I'd like to get my hands on a revolver in the future and it'd be nice to have fewer calibers to worry about.

Ah well, just need to pick up another box or two of slugs and I should be good to go.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ahhh yes.....I remember those days of sighting in the 12 gauge slug gun. And who doesn't remember wincing and flinching as they begrudgingly jerk the trigger again because the scope wasn't dialed in yet? Never again! I know, I know many old timers will swear by their ole' 12 gauge for deer. They are certainly not undergunned.... and with the price of slugs these days! Personally, I don't see the point. Plus, getting a new rifle in a different caliber is always fun!:)

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    But.. Arent Mauser's fun!:D

Oh yes - as we walked in, I was wondering who was setting off the occasional cannon, compared to all the other sounds. After I sent of 5-10 rounds, I realized that it was now ME making the cannon sounds. :rockwoot:

(Shoulder's still ticked at me though. owww)

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Slug guns=OUCH!
    44 Mag Rifles=SWEET!
    If you get a rifle in a pistol caliber you won't want to shoot that slug gun anymore (At least thats true for me :))

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    Lump me into that group as well. I felt like such a wimp after sighting in a new shotgun/scope package.... standing around with the guys acting like it was no big deal.... gingerly massaging the bruises later that day... wishing i had something lethal, legal and with less kick. .44 Carbine baby! Much less recoil, much lower cost per round and just as many dead deer.

Top Bottom