Shooting Precision Rifle in Hoosier National Forest along Power Lines?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianagenius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Batesville
    Has anyone ever done this? I am easily finding some spots in the forest via Google maps that could support 1,000 yards. I do know that target shooting is legal in HNF.

amp7876

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    Post what they say and whom you spoke with as I would like to inquire about this if they tell you yes.
    Which RPR did you get? I have the 6.5CM, great rifle for the money.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I would find out who owns or leases the land the power lines sit on. That should help you figure out who to talk to.. My guess, its a no no.

Where I'm from Pepco ( they own all transmission lines ) owns a the land where high voltage runs, it is marked no tresspass and local LE handles tresspassed.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My gut says use email and get it in writing. If its not in writing, it didnt happen.

Its a LOT easier to say "I'm sorry officer, Here is what I was told" As you provide the LEO with a printout showing who gave you the thumbs up at the DNR. With that you are likely to get a pass and get off with a warning if they were wrong.

Imagine trying to get whomever gave you the verbal OK to remember it and if wrong, own up to their error instead of (holy crap, I shouldnt have told that guy he could do that! What do I tell this cop on the phone?) "sorry officer, I dont recall talking to anyone about this. You are correct. There are probably signs and so it is not allowed." (whew! that was close. My butt is now out of the sling!)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It would be wise to make damn sure all property is HNF before doing this. There are inholdings in most of the HNF that are private property.

Even if it was legal, my gut would be it's a bad idea because you can't be sure someone won't pop out of the woods on an atv or horse at any point.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    It would be wise to make damn sure all property is HNF before doing this. There are inholdings in most of the HNF that are private property.

Even if it was legal, my gut would be it's a bad idea because you can't be sure someone won't pop out of the woods on an atv or horse at any point.

^^^^ This was my 1st thought^^^^^

1000 yards is a lot of range to keep under control..

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    ^^^^ This was my 1st thought^^^^^

1000 yards is a lot of range to keep under control..
    A friend of mine owns property that is surrounded by Crane, Indian Springs and the HNF. High tension lines run through these properties. We have been shooting down these power line breaks for years. We have ranges set from 100-700 yds. We did have a visit from a security detail from Crane one time. There were several of us shooting that day and the guys from Crane came down a set of railroad tracks that crosses my buddy's property going into Crane. There were six of them all decked out in gear with M-4s. They walked out right in front of the 300yd range which was on a hill about 50 yds. above and beyond the tracks. We rode the ATV's down to talk with them and found out that they thought we had full automatic weapons from all the fire we were laying down on the 100 yard range. They were cool with everything after we talked with them for awhile and they saw what was going on. As far as the legality, IDK, but I guess they didn't either.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    my gut would be it's a bad idea because you can't be sure someone won't pop out of the woods on an atv or horse at any point.

IMO, 1k yards is too far to control access even assuming the most advantageous terrain and sight lines. It takes about 1.48 seconds for my 308 to travel 1000 yards; an ATV going 25mph will travel about 18 yards in that time, almost 29 yards at 40 mph. Just because you can doesn't mean you should... But I could be wrong and terrain and sight lines might allow for it. But my initial reaction is NoGo.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've thought about target shooting in the HNF, but not at more than a hundred yards, or so. I've seen some ravines that would be great because they are protected on the sides by steep hills or cliffs, making it hard for anyone to stumble into the line of fire and also making it harder for a shot to get out.

I've thought about it because I get sick of the three second rule at my local range.

Top Bottom