• ...and so much more!
  • oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Two people were shot at last night's White Sox game. May be an isolated incident, but still, it would make reconsider attending a game there (if I was ever to consider it in the first place). When I lived in the suburbs and in Hambone, I'd go to 10-15 games a year, park off-site in pretty sketchy south side neighborhoods without a second thought. Being young and naive probably had something to do with it, I guess.

Oh, one last detail that I'll leave without comment: a postgame rap show was scheduled .

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Two people were shot at last night's White Sox game. May be an isolated incident, but still, it would make reconsider attending a game there (if I was ever to consider it in the first place). When I lived in the suburbs and in Hambone, I'd go to 10-15 games a year, park off-site in pretty sketchy south side neighborhoods without a second thought. Being young and naive probably had something to do with it, I guess.

Oh, one last detail that I'll leave without comment: a postgame rap show was scheduled .
    I never understood why they put the new stadium in the same area. Saying the area is sketchy is being kind.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    "Rap show?"

Dude, it's Vanilla Ice and Tone Loc. I doubt they brought the bangers out to the ballgame.

I do think it's funny that team officials commented to the fact that they aren't even sure if there was any type of altercation before hand, or if the shots came from inside or outside of the stadium.

I guess with it being Chicago it's totally plausible that there are just random bullets whizzing around. They're just in the air like mosquitoes.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Apologies to all of the rappers that gang bangers would like. I wouldn't know Tone Loc from Tone Deaf; all of that **** sounds the same to me.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    "Rap show?"

Dude, it's Vanilla Ice and Tone Loc. I doubt they brought the bangers out to the ballgame.

I do think it's funny that team officials commented to the fact that they aren't even sure if there was any type of altercation before hand, or if the shots came from inside or outside of the stadium.

I guess with it being Chicago it's totally plausible that there are just random bullets whizzing around. They're just in the air like mosquitoes.
    Two people injured, one in the leg, and only the second one went to the hospital. Thinking ND?

EDIT: Looking more likely they just got winged by a round fired about a mile from the park.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Fired parallel to the ground at, say, four feet of height (shoulder height) bullet is hitting the ground in around 1/2 second if nothing higher than the ground gets in its way. Less than 180 yds for typical handgun round, 530 yds for 5.56 (not accounting for friction losses) - nowhere near a mile. Unless it was fired from an elevated position or angled 30 to 45 degrees above the horizon no way it came from a mile away

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Fired parallel to the ground at, say, four feet of height (shoulder height) bullet is hitting the ground in around 1/2 second if nothing higher than the ground gets in its way. Less than 180 yds for typical handgun round, 530 yds for 5.56 (not accounting for friction losses) - nowhere near a mile. Unless it was fired from an elevated position or angled 30 to 45 degrees above the horizon no way it came from a mile away

They were in the stadium when hit. Stadiums are bowl shaped, so a parallel shot wouldn't make it in the stadium to hit them regardless. It would have to be fired at a fairly extreme upward angle to arc inside.

Chicago uses Shot Spotter, so they have record of when and were gunshots are heard around the city. It's pretty accurate, we did a trial period with 3 different brands in Indy awhile back and Shot Spotter was accurate in terms of both location and picking gunshots from not gunshots.

From the article:

"A CPD ShotSpotter gunfire detector alerted to nine rounds fired in a back yard in the 300 block of West 42nd Place at 7:22 p.m., according to police dispatch records. That’s about a mile due south of the ballpark. A preliminary police media statement said the women were struck at 7:25 p.m."

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I grew up on the sw side of the city. That neighborhood has been a ####hole since before I was born. In the mid 70's before we had access to cars it was common and totally safe to take the Rock Island to the game. When going to games it was totally common to park in peoples yards for a nominal fee. many of them would detail your car for you during the game if you wished. One time we spent a long time after the game in McCuddys and it was pretty late when we got back to the car. It had been moved no small distance from where it was parked pre game and we had the keys. This was a 5000 pound vehicle. Chicago in the 1980's was a very different place than today, I never heard once of anyone having issues at the old ballpark. I went to the new ballpark maybe twice, all of what we considered magic about the old place was gone. I had friends whos families had seats right behind home plate for decades, we used to rotate to sit in them for an inning. In the new ballpark they were just given seats up in the nosebleed section.

Smarter guys than I can comment on the probability of 2 bullets fired far away and not by a sniper landing next to each other in the stadium

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    This probably wasn't discussed outside of Chicago area but last week news hit that the owner was either looking to move the team to Tennessee, the suburbs, or sell it. Ill bet this is influencing his plans

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

Based on Chicago gun control, this must be fake news. I’m guessing those injured were due to falls and they were too embarrassed to admit it.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I never understood why they put the new stadium in the same area. Saying the area is sketchy is being kind.
    The new stadium was built on the parking lot of the old Comiskey Park, which was then demolished and turned into the parking lot.
    It was worse when the Robert Taylor homes were still just across the Dan Ryan, IMO.
    I consulted on a certain aspect of the sound system design during construction of the new (at that time) White Sox Park.
    Several times, during walk thru inspections, we noticed evidence of "ballistic impacts" on crates, equipment, and seats in the upper sections.
    Can't say for certain where they came from, but if I had to turn around and point.......
    that's what I'd be pointing at.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That was my point. Bullet randomly hitting the stadium over a mile away as a side effect of some distant gunplay vs a deliberate attempt to lob a round into the stadium. The latter is far more likely, which is why I included the language about needed barrel azimuth being between 30 and 45 degrees

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    That was my point. Bullet randomly hitting the stadium over a mile away as a side effect of some distant gunplay vs a deliberate attempt to lob a round into the stadium. The latter is far more likely, which is why I included the language about needed barrel azimuth being between 30 and 45 degrees
    If you've ever seen how hood people shoot you wouldn't be surprised.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Probably not. We just had two kids arrested at a high school football game after a fight broke out. Both were armed and both had switches. Can't imagine how much damage the little ****s could do, hope our prosecutors wake up soon

Top Bottom