• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I sit around most of the time at work and do nothing. My boss is happiest when I do nothing. So if there is a cheap enough course online maybe I'd be willing to do it. I was unaware until he called what primers were bringing. So the capitalist in me realizes if the effort is not that great it would be offset by the markup.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It’s not a simple or cheap process.

I know nothing about it, but I would think that it's more than just taking a class. I would think there would be storage requirements and stuff like that (even if you were only wanting to do it once) that could get fairly involved. I'm just guessing though.

ottoclicker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    So there is a shortage of components out there. I have always bought quantity in bulk. I have a friend in another state that needs some to tide him over until the supplies are back up. I know that there are different rules on shipping primers than there are for shipping ammunition. Does anyone know exactly how to properly ship them through UPS DHL or Fedex. I'm pretty sure USPS wont ship. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I tried finding another thread and didn't see one and I know the rules change every once in awhile.

I have experience shipping Hazmat via UPS. Both primers and powder. First you will need to get your 49 CFR 172 Certification. You can take an online course to get certified.
    I have used this one in the past https://www.compliancetrainingonline.com/dot_general_awareness.cfm Looks like it will cost $120, upon successful completion of the course and passing the test you can print your certification. I think it is valid for 2 years
    Then contact the shipping company you plan on using to get an account set up. they will probably request a copy of your certification. The shipper will either send you a copy of the software you will need or you can download it, they should also send you the packing list labels that will work with their software for printing.
    If you use UPS, someone from the Dangerous Goods department will contact you when your account is ready to go. They will give you a phone number to contact them directly. Use it if you have any questions they are very helpful.

ottoclicker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    Also be sure to use the proper boxes that are clearly marked, I believe you will need UN 4G . I once had a package picked up by the driver and next day got a call from the Hub in Indy telling me I didn't use the proper box. They would not return it to me because they could not ship it anywhere without a clearly marked box. I had to drive down to the Indy hub and re-box it before they would move it.
    I did use a used 4G box originally but the markings became unreadable.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That is my issue. I am a rule follower. There is liability. Lets say you skirt the rules the package lights on fire causing an accident. Not saying probable but you could be charged with quite a few things.
    The obvious solution is have your friend ship you brass, prime it and then ship back primed brass. Or if it’s brass you have on hand, prime your own and ship and let him buy you brass.

No hazmat then.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There are no storage requirements at my house. I am not a commercial operation just reload alot and always buy in quatity when available.
    I know nothing about it, but I would think that it's more than just taking a class. I would think there would be storage requirements and stuff like that (even if you were only wanting to do it once) that could get fairly involved. I'm just guessing though.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thank you sir you are now my favorite human. A very succinct answer and straight to the point. The exact information I want. From what my friend told me I can easily recoupe the $120. If I get it I can help other on here ship if they want to.
    I have experience shipping Hazmat via UPS. Both primers and powder. First you will need to get your 49 CFR 172 Certification. You can take an online course to get certified.
    I have used this one in the past https://www.compliancetrainingonline.com/dot_general_awareness.cfm Looks like it will cost $120, upon successful completion of the course and passing the test you can print your certification. I think it is valid for 2 years
    Then contact the shipping company you plan on using to get an account set up. they will probably request a copy of your certification. The shipper will either send you a copy of the software you will need or you can download it, they should also send you the packing list labels that will work with their software for printing.
    If you use UPS, someone from the Dangerous Goods department will contact you when your account is ready to go. They will give you a phone number to contact them directly. Use it if you have any questions they are very helpful.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom