• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I let Kirk get into my head with his having multiples in your carry gun, which for me is a 9mm Shield.

I also like the idea of having multiple calibers in case ammo availability is a problem and I like having multiple guns in the same caliber so in case one breaks I won't be stuck with ammo that I can't use(this is more of a SHTF thought).

Instead of getting another 9mm Shield, I was thinking of getting a .40 so I would have a different caliber but that wouldn't help with redundancy in the same caliber.

My question is can I put the barrel and magazines from the 9mm Shield into the .40 frame and visa versa, would it work or are there other differences? Same question for the SD9VE and SD40VE.

Thanks for your thoughts INGO.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No, you can't put a .40 barrel in the 9mm. Probably not vice versa, either, without a conversion barrel.

It is a good idea to have two (or three) of your carry gun. Ideally you've got:

1) Your carry gun. It's shot enough to have been vetted, then just carried
    2) Your training gun. It's identically set up as your carry gun, but you use it for training to keep the wear off your carry gun. Every gun eventually breaks if you shoot it enough. You don't want it to be your carry.
    3) A spare for when #2 breaks or #1 is in the property room.

Different cartridges because of an ammo shortage? Why not just have more 9mm on hand? Stock up now, no reason to worry about the next ammo shortage.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I swapped my FS M&P 40 as well as a compact 40 with 9mm barrels no problem. I hear that the Shield is the same way. You can drop a 9mm barrel into a .40 gun.

I have used 40 cal mags with 9mm ammo, but only for range time. Never for carry. You get some interesting malfunction practice with them.

Can't help with the SD...

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    A .40 Shield is a less pleasant shooting experience than either 9mm or 45 acp IMHO.

9mm and 40 cal slides are interchangable (tried just to see...)...but I wouldn't fire it. Just because it fits - doesn't mean it should.

With the cost of Shields today - just buy another 9mm Shield.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    No, you can't put a .40 barrel in the 9mm. Probably not vice versa, either, without a conversion barrel.

It is a good idea to have two (or three) of your carry gun. Ideally you've got:

1) Your carry gun. It's shot enough to have been vetted, then just carried
    2) Your training gun. It's identically set up as your carry gun, but you use it for training to keep the wear off your carry gun. Every gun eventually breaks if you shoot it enough. You don't want it to be your carry.
    3) A spare for when #2 breaks or #1 is in the property room.

Different cartridges because of an ammo shortage? Why not just have more 9mm on hand? Stock up now, no reason to worry about the next ammo shortage.

Mostly the ammo availability is for shtf when you can't be picky about what ammo is available. I have more ammo than I would shoot in years currently, just because I only go every few months.

A .40 Shield is a less pleasant shooting experience than either 9mm or 45 acp IMHO.

9mm and 40 cal slides are interchangable (tried just to see...)...but I wouldn't fire it. Just because it fits - doesn't mean it should.

With the cost of Shields today - just buy another 9mm Shield.

I haven't had the pleasure of shooting .40 yet. Would like to try some though. I have no problen with the current prices of 9mm shields, I just like the idea of having something a little different for more options.

I swapped my FS M&P 40 as well as a compact 40 with 9mm barrels no problem. I hear that the Shield is the same way. You can drop a 9mm barrel into a .40 gun.

I have used 40 cal mags with 9mm ammo, but only for range time. Never for carry. You get some interesting malfunction practice with them.

Can't help with the SD...
    I figured they would fit physically just not sure about operation. Carrying a gun made from multiple guns would be the absolute last resort.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I figured they would fit physically just not sure about operation. Carrying a gun made from multiple guns would be the absolute last resort.

My carry was a 40 and is now a 9. Same gun, different barrel and mags. Have put thousands thru it since the swap. No worries here.

I switched because I felt the 40 was too snappy for me one handed. It is nice to have the option to go back to the 40 if need or want happens.

Top Bottom