• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    In Iowa, carry permits are issued with discretionary powers on the part of local sheriffs. This guy didn't like what was being said about him, so he retaliated with his discretionary power and is now being smacked down by the court.

PRIMGHAR, Iowa -- U.S. District Court Judge Mark W. Bennett has ordered Osceola County Sheriff Douglas L. Weber to issue a gun permit to a resident and to complete a college-level course involving the First Amendment.

Bennett’s written decision on Wednesday involves the case of Paul Dorr, of Ocheyedan, who was denied a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

And, Bennett said, “In denying Paul a concealed weapons permit, Sheriff Weber single-handedly hijacked the First Amendment and nullified its freedoms and protections. Ironically, Sheriff Weber, sworn to uphold the Constitution, in fact retaliated against a citizen of his county who used this important freedom of speech and association precisely in the manner envisioned by the founding members of our nation ...

"In doing so, this popularly elected Sheriff, who appears to be a fine man and an excellent law enforcement officer, in all other regards, blatantly caved in to public pressure and opinion and, in doing so, severely trampled the Constitution and Paul’s First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and association. This is a great reminder that the First Amendment protects the sole individual who may be a gadfly, kook, weirdo, nut job, whacko, and spook, with the same force of protection as folks with more majoritarian and popular views."
    Rest at source.

As with the thread in the Break Room about pounding a kid for spitting, there are some things I just think should disqualify a person from further "public service". Abuses of power, whether physical or administrative, should not be tolerated in a supposedly free society.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    As usual I will support any LEO when they are acting on behalf of the Constitution and the law, However I think because of the powers granted to them they should be held to a higher standard. In this case we have a CLEO that is blatantly abusing power and disregarding his duty, jail him.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Dorr said Wednesday that he was pleased “justice is served. I get my permit back and the sheriff is being sent back to school. The harm done by Sheriff Weber against the 6th and 9th commandments has been made right."
    "You shall not murder" and "You shall not bear false witness"? :scratch:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom