• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Is it just my magnetic personality or do others have this issue? I have noticed lately that when going into Wally World and Meijer's that I seem to be setting off the alarms that they use to try to stop shop lifting. Never noticed it before. Have they turned up the sensitivity for the shopping season or went to a new type or is it something else entirely. Usually on the way out they just want to see my receipt. any thoughts? :dunno:

Doug

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My pager, back when I carried one, used to set off the alarms a lot. I can't imagine your gun would do so as they are not metal detectors. Maybe it's your cell phone?

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Those scanners are reading for RFID tags located in the packaging of certain items. The magnet that the highschool drop out is working disables said tag so that you can walk out with no fuss.
    If you just wouldn't shop lift anymore you wouldn't set off the alarm. Or maybe it is just some electronic device you have in your pocket that will bounce the signal back.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Never thought of a cell phone. The company just gave me a new iPhone. Maybe that is it. Yeah it is a bitch when I shop lift stuff back into the store and set off the alarms. :): Thanks for the help

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Never thought of a cell phone. The company just gave me a new iPhone. Maybe that is it. Yeah it is a bitch when I shop lift stuff back into the store and set off the alarms. :): Thanks for the help

Easy enough to test. Next time you set them off, walk through again but without the iphone.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There was a tiny RFID tag in a wallet that I bought a few years ago...

If there's something new that you've been wearing, chances are there's a tag in it.

Perhaps in your new phone (but I doubt it), but how about shoes/boots? New belt? Jacket? Or, like me, a new wallet? How bout the 'holster' that your new iPhone is in?

One thing's for sure, it's NOT your firearm. Those things aren't metal detectors.

-J-

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    The same thing happend to me a couple months back .
    My wife and i went shopping and of course i had my carry piece in my pocket .
    Every store we walked into the alarm went off as we entered , walmart, sears, Bass pro shops , everywhere .

after the 3rd or 4th store i took my carry piece out just to see , still keptt going off so i took my cell phone out (even thought my wife and i have identical phones and she wasn't setting them off )
    still the alarm went off .

we walked into meijer and went off again after a few minutes inside the store mother nature called (i had to poop lol)
    while sitting in the restroom i started checking the waist band of the new camo pants my wife had bought for me just a few days before ..

they had a very tiny magnet sown into the waistband inside of another piece of cloth that looked just like one of the HOW TO CARE FOR tags .

I ripped it out and everything was fine i quit going off as i entered stores .

since then every time i get any new clothing or anything like that i go over it with a fine tooth comb checking for such things

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    the thing is i was causing the alarm to go off as i tried to enter the store ...
    honestly i could have probably shoplifted if i were a P.O.S
    cause in most cases the same person was at the dore on my way out and told me i remember you set it off coming in go rigght on through don't worry if it goes off

wbjenks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Noblesville
    I set off the alarm yesterday! New coat with a tag no one told me needed to be removed by the purchaser. The tag was sewn in the second lining under the last vest of the jacket. Cut the tag out and I have not "beeped" since. It does make one feel their carry firearm is the item setting off the alarm but it is not.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If the alarm goes off just keep right on walking. You don't ever have to stop; it's called false imprisonment if they try to.

It's unfortunate that more people don't understand their rights with respect to the things merchants try to impose upon them.

The same is true with the "we need to check your bags before you leave" thing. I just say, "No, thank you!" and keep walking.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    It's unfortunate that more people don't understand their rights with respect to the things merchants try to impose upon them.

The same is true with the "we need to check your bags before you leave" thing. I just say, "No, thank you!" and keep walking.

Same here Rhino! Went to walmart, they didn't have what I wanted so I left with nothing. The voices from the heavens spoke and a young man came running up to me telling me I would have to wait to be "checked." With my best Ron White impression he heard "don't think so skooter" and I kept walking. Met a LEO friend on the way to the car and told him what happened so he could expect a call. His response was "somebody's going to get driven into the pavement if they don't quit that crap."

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    i "beeped" on the way out of dick's in plainfield yesterday afternoon.

did not purchase anything while i was there.

didn't beep on the way in .... but did on the way out. the only thing that changed was my cell phone location. it was in my back pants pocket when i went in. it was in the breast pocket of my dress shirt on the way out.

and no, i was not shoplifting. :D

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    We bought something at UP mall in Mishawaka last year. We got all the way home to Goshen and discovered the big giant ink thing was still attached. So we had to drive all the way back the next day. They just acted like no big deal, it was our fault as much as theirs was the attitude the gave.

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    I tend to take the ones that are in the CD's (the ones stuck on the plastic wrapper..) and stick them to a buddy, or put it on the ground sticky side up. Then laugh as the hilarity ensues.

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    What do you guys do at sam's club when the monitor at the exit door wants to fondle all your purchases? Is there a nice way to say "on that side of the cash register they are yours. On this side they're mine. Get out of my way.

Top Bottom