• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is true.

I got the opportunity to drive a rental car in Germany in 2017, and I got up to 201 kph (125 mph). I was going faster than many, but there were more than a few Mercedes and BMWs that flew past the stupid Citroën I was in.

But comparing those roads to I-465 is very unfair to the Germans.
    The Germans actually have a stellar set of rules and they are followed pretty much.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    When I was stationed in Germany I had an Audi 200 (5000 in the States) Turbo. Four door sedan. It would easily peg the speedometer at 250 kph, which is 150 mph. Very stable at speed, but wind noise was loud and I could see the fuel gage needle falling to E.

People on the autobahns were used to high speed traffic and had excellent lane discipline, i.e. they used the left lanes only to pass and got the hell out of the way when they saw lights in the rear view. The left lanes also often had MINIMUM speed limits.

The autobahn runs were fun but I don’t think I would want to go warp speed on 465.

(BTW you did have to keep an eye out for the occasional convoy of tanks. A gal in a BMW ruined her whole day when she clipped a tank while zooming past a convoy.)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    While not necessarily wise, vehicles of that caliber can reach those speeds easily and maneuver when needed. So long as the drivers are alert and road conditions good the speed alone is not an issue. If you've never driven something capable of 150+ you don't realize how easy and drama free it is to reach the century mark and beyond.

That's one of the problems of modern performance or even not so performance automobiles; they do it so well nowadays that every ricer with a fart can muffler thinks they're Juan Manuel Fangio! Watching a lot of the "fail" videos on youtube even my wife made the comment that most of the idiots that lose control and crash never had control. They're only along for the ride so when the car gets to the point of needing DRIVER input to avoid catastrophe the majority of them only have occupants instead.

A high performance car piloted by a low performance driver is trouble that hasn't happened yet.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    So, just your average 465 commute? Seriously it seems like people have been getting bolder every time I visit Indy - Is there not an ISP presence there?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    So, just your average 465 commute? Seriously it seems like people have been getting bolder every time I visit Indy - Is there not an ISP presence there?
    They’re around. The problem is when every car is doing 20-30mph over the limit, they’re really just looking for the guy passing them.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    My semi has adaptive speed control. Which means I set the cruise and if someone slows down in front of me, so do I. The cool thing about it is it tells me the speed of the vehicle in front of me. I have seen 90+MPH on 465 so many times I lost count. -Jason
    I drove the the first generation Freightliner Cascadia's that had them when they came out in 2013.

My trips to Chicago and back we used to take bets for the fastest recorded speed of the day.
    I routinely seen speeds heading south on 65 between Rensaler and Lafayette hit 100.

The 2 fastest speeds came about 30 seconds apart. Black 4 door passes me on the berm at 115 (if I remember correct), then a Indiana State Police AWD Tahoe passes me in the hammer lane running 132.

This was just south of the Fair Oaks exit heading north, I heard later the dude was caught someplace just west of Valparaiso. and had robbed a convenience store around I65 & 38th Street in Indy.

The adaptive cruise was a nice thing, the problem was passing me and immediately getting over in front of me and slowing down quickly, nothing like that 50% brake application from the collision sensor.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I drove the the first generation Freightliner Cascadia's that had them when they came out in 2013.

My trips to Chicago and back we used to take bets for the fastest recorded speed of the day.
    I routinely seen speeds heading south on 65 between Rensaler and Lafayette hit 100.

The 2 fastest speeds came about 30 seconds apart. Black 4 door passes me on the berm at 115 (if I remember correct), then a Indiana State Police AWD Tahoe passes me in the hammer lane running 132.

This was just south of the Fair Oaks exit heading north, I heard later the dude was caught someplace just west of Valparaiso. and had robbed a convenience store around I65 & 38th Street in Indy.

The adaptive cruise was a nice thing, the problem was passing me and immediately getting over in front of me and slowing down quickly, nothing like that 50% brake application from the collision sensor.

I would have never guessed a AWD Tahoe would run even close to 132. That's a lot of vehicle moving along...

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The 2 fastest speeds came about 30 seconds apart. Black 4 door passes me on the berm ...
    Heh. I also had the pleasure of driving in Saudi Arabia. 100mph+ was not uncommon, but neither was 35mph, and there was NO lane discipline at all. Saudi interstate/autobahn type highways were quite nice, and included emergency lanes down just inside the fast(est) lane. Despite being designated emergency vehicle lanes, fast movers used them to pass other fast movers. The western ex-pat joke was to call it the "Allah lane" because if Allah had not intended for you to use it, he wouldn't have put it there.

And the comment about high performance cars with low performance drivers applied in the Kingdom as well. Spectacular accidents were a regular feature, and drew huge crowds. The roads in all directions would be blocked with big crowds of people lining the streets and roads and over passes gawking at the destruction. They would stop their cars in the road, get out, and hang over the bridge rail or crowd around the wreckage site to see the mess.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    On a similar topic: Was on 465 twice on Sunday. In the morning, set the cruise at 65 (10 over, for non-locals). I passed most tractor/trailers. and really didn't get passed by many cars. Traffic was light

On the return trip in the early evening, Traffic was pretty heavy. I ALSO set the cruise at 65. I was passed by most tractor/trailers, and cars were ROCKETING passed me. My wife actually thought I was driving much slower than 65. I sped up to 75. I was now traveling with most tractors, and only 50% of traffic was passing me. Guessing the average truck speed was around 75, and the average car speed was up around 80. All in a 55 zone, and all in fairly heavy traffic.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Was up at Indy last week, not surprised at what OP said with how people were driving when I was there. I tried going 60, but was afraid I would cause an accident if I didn't speed up and that was in the right lane.

Fastest I have been was 163, buddy radioed me that he was topped out at 130 and I needed to slow down because he was going to lose sight of me. I was actually passed by a car that must have been going close to 200. It was a black four door (I think) sedan. I am guessing BMW, but it went by so quickly (while I was at 163) that all I could tell you for sure was that it was black and a sedan. (All speeds are mph)

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I wish we had an autobahn here in the US, I don't know why we don't, there are plenty of areas it could be built. It could be a controlled access toll road needing a drivers license with a special endorsement that you get by taking a high speed driving course. There's no reason it couldn't be done. Today's automobiles are so much more capable than before - better brakes, aerodynamics, suspension, gas mileage, etc.

I've thought about entering the Silver State Classic Challenge in Nevada, looks like good legal fun.
    1610387074427.png
    I am hoping to get to the Putnam county track this summer in the 'Vette to see what I'm capable of.
    lfqtr.JPG

lhs2.JPG

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wish we had an autobahn here in the US, I don't know why we don't, there are plenty of areas it could be built. It could be a controlled access toll road needing a drivers license with a special endorsement that you get by taking a high speed driving course. There's no reason it couldn't be done. Today's automobiles are so much more capable than before - better brakes, aerodynamics, suspension, gas mileage, etc.

I've thought about entering the Silver State Classic Challenge in Nevada, looks like good legal fun.
    View attachment 120600
    I am hoping to get to the Putnam county track this summer in the 'Vette to see what I'm capable of.
    lfqtr.JPG

lhs2.JPG
    Putnam is great fun, you'll enjoy it. I haven't yet gone for a track day but have been out with friends in the unlimited class and driven the fun laps with my vehicle. (limited to 60.....ish)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    lhs2.JPG
    I do too but ERMAGERD THINK OF THE CHILDREN IT'LL BE BLOOD IN THE STREETS.

That's one place I'd support vehicle inspections, additional licensure, etc. Ever walked through walmart and looked at people's tires? I wouldn't mind some additional expense to cut the trip to visit my parents in half.

Just about any car in the last couple decades can do 100+ easily. heck, my old 87 S10 did 90+ with a tractor motor and literally the aerodynamics of a brick. I worry more about the drivers doing it, whether they're driving an '91 honda or a '21 corvette.

I may or may not be aware that the fuel economy of a honda CRZ hybrid drops to match a '94 LT1 6-speed firebird when you add a third digit.

Top Bottom