• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    For anyone that has sold anything they knew the chances of getting back in the future were slim, did you regret it ?

2 years ago I traded up and got the shotgun . Benelli M4 it has everything I would want/need in a shotgun . However I have only shot it during one range session and have four 12g’s total and tbh the magpul stock on my 870 fits me better than the stock on the M4.

Wanting to do my best to cash flow my wedding next year and this is one of my higher end guns that I’m least partial too. So a portion of the funds would be going there.

Just wanted to hear some feedback.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You WILL sell guns you later regret. Offhand I can think of 5 of mine. One I'm having a helluva time replacing because I recently decided I needed to replace it. (but apparently Savage isnt making them right now :wallbash:)

But in some cases, the joy you gain can offset your loss. Case in point: I sold a Garand that was built in Feb of 42. Quite the find. I miss that rifle and wish I hadnt sold it in some respects. But I sold it to pay for a boat, which Ive spent many hours on with my kids fishing. I can buy another Garand (this time in .308 so I can find ammo easier and still hear the ping) so I dont sweat it. I instead concentrate on the joys selling it allowed me to have. And I'd do it all again.

Just understand that later you WILL regret it. But often times that regret is offset by the joy you get from what you spent the cash on.

And on the other hand. Please take this unsolicited advice from the bottom of my heart. Dont waste your money on a fancy, elaborate wedding. 20 years on you two will look back and see that it really didnt matter. What truly matters is the two of you and the pastor, in the moment. In my case we spent a whopping $800 on our wedding and would do it all over again in a heartbeat. MiL sewed the wife's gown, We had the bridesmaids buy dresses they liked and would wear again and I bought ties for the groomsmen to match the corresponding dresses and they wore their own suits. Family pitched in and cooked the reception food and we had it in our church's gym, which we got for free for being members. a friend (the guy who introduced us) DJ'd. Of course being Methodist it was a dry reception, so we had an after party at the inlaws and got plastered, literally put too many in the hottub making it overflow, etc.

I cant imagine doing it any other way.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    I sold 2 guns 38 years ago needed some money so bye bye. I got lucky and bought one of them back so happy I did. Still wish I had the other one. I did by another one like it but it's not the same. If you really like them keep them

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Keep it! I've sold a few cheap guns to finance getting nicer ones, but my theory is money is easy to get, but getting that gun back is basically impossible. I don't shoot near as much as I used to and I have a few I've never shot, but I'd rather have them than not have them. My son can decide what to do with them when I'm compost.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Monkey Boy is right about the wedding. But the gun is only a thing and not nearly as important as the wife in the long run. You said yourself, the 870 fits you better. Get married. Learn to work together toward shared goals. Of it turns out you really need that shotgun, buy one in 20ga so she and hopefully your children can learn on it. Maybe it will fit her better. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    You WILL sell guns you later regret. Offhand I can think of 5 of mine. One I'm having a helluva time replacing because I recently decided I needed to replace it. (but apparently Savage isnt making them right now :wallbash:)

But in some cases, the joy you gain can offset your loss. Case in point: I sold a Garand that was built in Feb of 42. Quite the find. I miss that rifle and wish I hadnt sold it in some respects. But I sold it to pay for a boat, which Ive spent many hours on with my kids fishing. I can buy another Garand (this time in .308 so I can find ammo easier and still hear the ping) so I dont sweat it. I instead concentrate on the joys selling it allowed me to have. And I'd do it all again.

Just understand that later you WILL regret it. But often times that regret is offset by the joy you get from what you spent the cash on.

And on the other hand. Please take this unsolicited advice from the bottom of my heart. Dont waste your money on a fancy, elaborate wedding. 20 years on you two will look back and see that it really didnt matter. What truly matters is the two of you and the pastor, in the moment. In my case we spent a whopping $800 on our wedding and would do it all over again in a heartbeat. MiL sewed the wife's gown, We had the bridesmaids buy dresses they liked and would wear again and I bought ties for the groomsmen to match the corresponding dresses and they wore their own suits. Family pitched in and cooked the reception food and we had it in our church's gym, which we got for free for being members. a friend (the guy who introduced us) DJ'd. Of course being Methodist it was a dry reception, so we had an after party at the inlaws and got plastered, literally put too many in the hottub making it overflow, etc.

I cant imagine doing it any other way.
    Thats about how me and the wife did it.
    Justice of the peace. Thaen a party at Uncles farm. 35 years later still together and happy as can be. (Usually) lol. I have friends that spent thousands and it didn't last 5 years.
    Great advice

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I concur with the justice of the peace comments on how to save money and keep what you'd like. If your assets are several times more than your future spouse, a prenup is a potential ultimate money saver. :woot: :wrongdoor:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Once upon a time, I had a CMP M1-D. Absolutely perfect and a very good shooter. I was out of work, so...

I'll live homeless and starve before I do something like that again.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I needed money to buy Christmas presents for the wife and child when we were young. I sold off all of my guns. I don't regret it, but do miss them now and then. I only regret trading off one gun. It was a S&W model 28-2 revolver my wife got me for a special gift. I used it in my line of work and even deer hunting. I do regret that trade. Guns without any sentimental attachments are just things that can be replaced, however once they are sold, you only have money. If you really need the money, that's fine. My wife and I had a very nice wedding on a very low budget. My daughter had a very nice wedding on a very low budget, too (my wife helped).

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Cameramonkey gives great advice about the wedding. We did very similarly, and have no regrets. I'd do it the same way again if I had to, but hopefully never will (we're almost 17 years in now, and I still say marrying her is the best decision I've ever made). It's just one day...and it will be memorable because of your commitment, not because of the expenditures, especially if those expenditures mean sacrificing in other areas of your lives to cover the costs.

As to guns, only you can answer that question. I've sold a few. Don't regret the ones I let go because they didn't serve a purpose and were ultimately either replaced with something better or something I use more. If it sits in the safe and never comes out because I have something else that does the same thing better, it's gotta go. I don't have the money or space in the safe to just accumulate stuff for no purpose, even if it's nice stuff.

NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    Definitely appreciate all the responses. We’ve set a budget and are on track to be under budget. Just trying to like I said cash flow and not use debt so naturally I look at things I don’t use to sell for funding.
    We’ve talked and certainly are on the same page about its our day and no one else’s . My 2nd and last marriage her 1st so wanting to give her a nice one but a budget friendly one. Have a buddy still paying on his 1st from 5 years ago so wanting to avoid that lol

If any of you are in the market for a great shotgun (wink wink) will probably be seeing one in the classifieds within the next few weeks.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    What does the future bride think about how much to spend on the wedding reception?
    It looks like the two of you, and not her parents, are paying for this. You should both agree on the details.
    The cost of the actual wedding negligible. It is the reception that costs the real money.
    The cost of the reception is not a predictor of future happiness.

Have the covid restrictions kept you off the range or are there other reasons? Can you expect to get back?
    Would it be beneficial to get the stock refitted or replaced?

These are just a few things that popped into my head. The answers only matter to you and her.
    I see some have been addressed, since I started typing. I got distracted by doing other things.

Daburkster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    Fort Wayne IN
    For anyone that has sold anything they knew the chances of getting back in the future were slim, did you regret it ?

2 years ago I traded up and got the shotgun . Benelli M4 it has everything I would want/need in a shotgun . However I have only shot it during one range session and have four 12g’s total and tbh the magpul stock on my 870 fits me better than the stock on the M4.

Wanting to do my best to cash flow my wedding next year and this is one of my higher end guns that I’m least partial too. So a portion of the funds would be going there.

Just wanted to hear some feedback.
    I know what you mean. You make the best decision for you. I don’t see shotguns going away anytime soon as far as legal actions go so you can always buy one back. And the m4 is one of my bucket list guns! Lol

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    You mean like selling a “first year production 357 magnum desert eagle with the box, paperwork, 3 magazines, scope mount, shoulder holster, with the serial number 7888” because you needed money to fix your car?…nope don’t regret one bit!

Top Bottom