• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I've seen it done. So, you try longer screws, and aluminum plate. That will stop them.:thumbsup:
    And what would you recommend for reinforcing a door frame to resist a hydraulic ram? If their carrying around that, they probably have a battery operated sawzall and can just cut a hole in the side of the house in about 2 minutes or less. It's pretty much impossible to stop a thief, you just want to delay/deter them enough so they pick a different house.

Heck you want to know just how easy it is to open most locked windows? About 15 seconds or less. And that's taking your time.

Lpherr

Occupied
    You having seen it done makes it something that is widespread? Okay. :facepalm:
    Where did I say that?
    Kind of like you being worried that someone coming in your front door is widespread. MMMkay.

I mentioned that it's possible.
    Go get your screws and aluminum. There will probably be a rush on it.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    This may be the solution you are looking for:

This is for new door installs. You can cut the metal yourself and save on some of the cost. I would think aluminum would be nearly as effective and 100% rustproof.

Who are you using to install the door? Would you send me their info if you're happy with their work?

I'm looking for something to retrofit to an existing door right now.

Hmmm. I will have to price some metal. Steel might be cheaper right now. Will see if my suppliers have any drops.

I am going to do this door I think. Lots of stuff involved with this install that I need to ensure gets done. @CHCRandy has done a lot of work for me in the past couple of months and I am very happy with his work. Be flexible on time and getting worked in is easier.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I did it myself. Pretty straight forward DIY project. Extra thick window tinting without the tinting. Search for this BDF S8MC Window Film Security and Safety Clear 8 Mil (30in X 12ft) on Amazon.

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    And what would you recommend for reinforcing a door frame to resist a hydraulic ram? If their carrying around that, they probably have a battery operated sawzall and can just cut a hole in the side of the house in about 2 minutes or less. It's pretty much impossible to stop a thief, you just want to delay/deter them enough so they pick a different house.

Heck you want to know just how easy it is to open most locked windows? About 15 seconds or less. And that's taking your time.
    What is really funny is when they spend time to reinforce the door and it has a window in it.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I had a large strike plate, 3" screws, 1.5 " throw double cylinder dead bolt and they got in with 3 kicks to my insulated STEEL door. The door flexed enough that the dead bolt popped right out of the strike plate. Door was slightly bent, casing was intact, trim was skinned. But hey, at least they didn't break the window in the door.

I don't think any of the common security measures do much good without a door that will not give. I now use one of those jam poles under the door handle, it helps keep the door from moving when kicked or pushed. But there is still the window issue!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    What is really funny is when they spend time to reinforce the door and it has a window in it.
    A lot depends on the window. That 3M film that was linked above is supposed to work great, at least properly installed. And if it's not big enough to climb though just a double key deadbolt will work.

I'm thinking something like this for my back door. Delay them just a touch more. The one I like I couldn't find a picture of. It's a brass plate that's inset into the floor with two tubes, it has a piece that just drops into the tubes and blocks the door.

71q5ZtwbrIL._CR0,204,1224,1224_UX256.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I can't help with securing the door.

IMHO though, the best front door breaching deterrence you can have is multiple retina burning motion lights that flood your front yard and the neighbor's.

BTW - go ahead and do the back door also. :spend:

:twocents:

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I can't help with securing the door.

IMHO though, the best front door breaching deterrence you can have is multiple retina burning motion lights that flood your front yard and the neighbors.

:twocents:

I'm not sure about that. There are a lot of good quality (i.e. well lit) video of home invasions. This tells me that, at best, light deter the casual criminal, not the seasoned ones and not the ones intent on a home invasion.

Having said that, I have installed lights around the perimeter of every home that I have lived in. I don't think my neighbors are appreciative of that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not sure about that. There are a lot of good quality (i.e. well lit) video of home invasions. This tells me that, at best, light deter the casual criminal, not the seasoned ones and not the ones intent on a home invasion.

Having said that, I have installed lights around the perimeter of every home that I have lived in. I don't think my neighbors are appreciative of that.

What else might you be advertising to a home invader? Why would they target your home, knowing that blinding lights and cameras would be present?

The most secure door is similar to your gun safe. A gun to you or, worse yet, your loved one's head and that door opens without struggle.

:scratch:

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I am not sure what you mean by advertising. Honestly, I'm not sure what the point is overall. No offense.

My point is that the lights are not a bad idea (I made the point of saying that I add lights to my home), but not the best deterrence available.

Some examples of well lit home invasions:

These examples had lights and at least one camera - that is the point of the links. The other variables are not relevant to the point being made - lights and camera(s) did not deter these dirt bags.

Like most things a layered defense is ideal. Lights are part of that, but not at the top of the list.

Top Bottom