• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    The law of common decency and common sense. There is no need for a major news company to be filming the remains of people who died in a natural disaster. I fall on the side of respect and privacy for the deceased and their families before I fall on the side of freedom of the press.

Go back and listen to the video, the officer even tells them they can proceed if they secure the camera and stop filming. The reporter never said okay and they kept filming the officers, at that point it was turn it off or be arrested and don't come back.

What people tend to forget, other people have rights too.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The law of common decency and common sense. There is no need for a major news company to be filming the remains of people who died in a natural disaster. I fall on the side of respect and privacy for the deceased and their families before I fall on the side of freedom of the press.

Go back and listen to the video, the officer even tells them they can proceed if they secure the camera and stop filming. The reporter never said okay and they kept filming the officers, at that point it was turn it off or be arrested and don't come back.

What people tend to forget, other people have rights too.
    They were on public property, in public. The cops had no right to threaten to arrest them for filming or to tell them to stop. They violated their rights by doing so, regardless of their "reasoning". Those cops need to be disciplined. Severely.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Go right ahead and punish them, I'm sure the families of the people lying dead in the temporary morgue will back you up all the way.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Doesn't matter if they back up punishment for the cops who broke the law or not. I seriously doubt if the CNN people were going to take pics of the corpses anyway. And, unless the morgue is outside, the cameramen could LEGALLY be denied access to the building. They could not legally forbid them to film in public. The courts have spoken to that matter numerous times.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    There are a lot of things we don't know. We don't know if that COUNTY road dead ended not far from the checkpoint and there is no other reason to be there but the morgue.
    We don't know if the people of the COUNTY its located in gave permission to close the road.

But to me it doesn't matter, those officers were serving and protecting the victims of that disaster and just because a few people who want everything to the tee by the Constitution don't have the human decency to allow the dead and their mourning families the privacy and respect they deserve so their ideals can be protected its not going to change my mind.

Choose a different battle, this makes you guys look like extremist wackos.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    How to tell if you love or hate liberty. You see an incident like this. Your first reaction is to shut off CNN and send them a letter as to why you'll never watch their show again, you love liberty. If your first reaction is to call for the government to step in, you hate liberty.

These reporters show these things because they think that's what the viewer wants. If people were truly repulsed by it, they'd let the reporters know by letter, changing the channel, etc. It's just easier to say "there ought to be a law".

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    How to tell if you love or hate liberty. You see an incident like this. Your first reaction is to shut off CNN and send them a letter as to why you'll never watch their show again, you love liberty. If your first reaction is to call for the government to step in, you hate liberty.

These reporters show these things because they think that's what the viewer wants. If people were truly repulsed by it, they'd let the reporters know by letter, changing the channel, etc. It's just easier to say "there ought to be a law".

Every time invasion of privacy like that occurs and its aired I do change the channel and I do email the network responsible. I said nothing about any government law, I said laws of common decency and common sense. Both are lacking severely. I think no person or entity has the right to invade on something as personal and painful as someone's death in that way.
    Those people in that morgue are not public officials and have no expectations of their lives being invaded by the press and THAT is the standard the court holds up when it comes to the press.

The only person who said anything about a secret morgue was the reporter. The families identifying the bodies knew exactly where it was and what it was. A family member is the one who told the reporter about it. Seems to me the information about the morgue and its location were on a need to know basis and the vultures of the press had no need to know.

Those of you wanting to make this a BoR case stop and think if you'd want your mother, father, brother, sister, spouse, or child plastered all over the national news dead on a cot before you even knew they were dead.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I fall on the side of respect and privacy for the deceased and their families before I fall on the side of freedom of the press.

Uhh... Well I'm okay with being the extremist of the bunch who defends the constitution and freedom of the press. Every infringement of freedom comes with lots of excuses about safety, decency, and the government's good intentions. However, you ought to know where the road paved with good intentions leads us.

You are allowed to drive around on public roads -- yes, even dead end roads. You are allowed to film in public and not be accosted for having a camera turned on. Violations of these are an affront to the constitution.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Uhh... Well I'm okay with being the extremist of the bunch who defends the constitution and freedom of the press. Every infringement of freedom comes with lots of excuses about safety, decency, and the government's good intentions. However, you ought to know where the road paved with good intentions leads us.

You are allowed to drive around on public roads -- yes, even dead end roads. You are allowed to film in public and not be accosted for having a camera turned on. Violations of these are an affront to the constitution.

And its obvious you have no shred of human decency. Its also obvious you've never been at the site of a natural disaster.

You keep touting your cause, you're just as bad as those you are against because you can't see the damage your "cause" would do to the situation.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think it's of extremely poor taste to film that type of stuff as well. Ive never met a person who thought the paparazzi were good people everyone universally denounces their actions. At least that's what everyone wants everybody else to believe. We know it's not true or there would be no Star, Enquirer, Enertainment Tonight or whatever. You can blame the reporter or cera man all you want. The problem lies with those who want to see it.

Every time invasion of privacy like that occurs and its aired I do change the channel and I do email the network responsible. I said nothing about any government law, I said laws of common decency and common sense. Both are lacking severely. I think no person or entity has the right to invade on something as personal and painful as someone's death in that way.
    Those people in that morgue are not public officials and have no expectations of their lives being invaded by the press and THAT is the standard the court holds up when it comes to the press.

The only person who said anything about a secret morgue was the reporter. The families identifying the bodies knew exactly where it was and what it was. A family member is the one who told the reporter about it. Seems to me the information about the morgue and its location were on a need to know basis and the vultures of the press had no need to know.

Those of you wanting to make this a BoR case stop and think if you'd want your mother, father, brother, sister, spouse, or child plastered all over the national news dead on a cot before you even knew they were dead.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    It is obvious that you hate America.
    you are ridiculous man, these cops are trying to help the families of victims down there and all you want to do is criticize them because they wont let cnn look for a little boy whom they have no business doing so, unless they are relatives. Maybe before you judge these cops for keeping news stations out of places they dont belong you should ask yourself what you are doing to help these people? Sitting at home on your computer stirring up conspiracy theories because you think cnn should be allowed to film dead bodies, is not helping the people of Missouri.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    you are ridiculous man, these cops are trying to help the families of victims down there and all you want to do is criticize them

There must be nothing left to do if the best use of their time is setting up roadblocks on public streets and checking to see if cameras are secured. All the missing persons must be found already.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    There must be nothing left to do if the best use of their time is setting up roadblocks on public streets and checking to see if cameras are secured. All the missing persons must be found already.

and we should just lay the dead out in the field and anyone can drive by, stop and take a look, wonder among them, whip out the cameras and start taping away? After all it is a public road and they are U.S. citizens as am I, so I should be able to do whatever I want...right? Oh..was Martial Law declared..if so then all your talk about having rights flies out the window.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    and we should just lay the dead out in the field and anyone can drive by, stop and take a look, wonder among them, whip out the cameras and start taping away? After all it is a public road and they are U.S. citizens as am I, so I should be able to do whatever I want...right?

LOL

Driving on the street, recording with reckless abandon?? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me checkpoints or give me death!

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    I would imagine this "morgue" is probably a bunch of refrigerated semitrailers. Second the media has no business trying find a "little boy" who was missing. We all know the reporters wanted to get in there and film the families breaking down and crying.

I would also imagine they have a lot of work to do Identifying the bodies and dont really want or need the media filming them taking bodies in and out of semi trailers to ID them. :twocents:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ram, does this state have some public access statute that includes morgues?

The death certificate may be public record but why would the media think they can go see a little boy or any other body?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Rambone,
    I just finished working a disaster site. Rather than sitting in your mom's air conditioned basement, typing about your latest government conspiracy theory - why don't you get off your worthless ass and go to a disaster site and do something the least bit productive for your neighbors? The police here are having to stack the bodies of their friends and neighbors and maybe they're not keen on the idea of some media whore filming their friends' dead bodies.

Top Bottom