• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I wear my seat belt all the time, I could even say it maybe saved my life once. However I am completely opposed to the government telling me I have to do anything that only relates to my own wellbeing. IT'S NONE OF THEIR F'ING BUSINESS. I am all growed up I don't need mommy standing next to me holding my hand every step of the way, saying oh no son put on those galoshes and yellow coat it's going to rain today. When I ride my bike sometimes I wear a helmet sometimes I don't that is my choice, MY BUSINESS, seatbelt's are no different. We don't have to wear helmets because every time they try to pass that law the riding community goes bug nuts and is on them like a wet sock. Keep letting the government tell you what is for your own good threw making laws and one day you'll find yourself not able to order double meat on your Papa Johns, Or smoke a cigar in your home. Ok thats enough GRRRRRR topics like this infuriate me so. Not the topic or discussion. Its the how the hell did we get here in the first place. Every day we are on here chatting about our on personal right to choose. I have no problem with Government or anyone making a suggestion. Like you know you really should wear a seatbelt or put your kid in a car seat, then explaining why its statistically shown to be safer. But No one is going to tell me I have to do it. Well they can say it. But I wont conform. Question: How many of you are old enough to remember the game dead dolls? When I was little we used to play it in the car on trips. Its where the kids sit in the back seat and let their body's go limp like a dead doll, then when the car goes around a corner everyone is tossled and squished together laughing uncontrollably. Or how many of you remember sitting backwards with your arms crossed on the back seat watching the world go by in reverse waving at the car behind you. That is one of my sweet remembrances from childhood. My 18 year old son has no idea what it is to play that game, because today it is illegal to play dead dolls. And go ahead and feel free to make some crack about the name of the game. I expect some idiot to say something like "Yea its called dead dolls cause you'll all be dead in a car crash" I believe that when its your time its your time and it doesn't matter if your wearing a seatbelt or a suit of armor. When God is ready to take you he is going to take you and that is it that is final. When its your time its your time period...

Last edited:

turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    As a young child I rode in the back of a station wagon all over the U.S. and loved every second of it, some of the best times of my life. :rockwoot:

I wear my seat belt all the time, I could even say it maybe saved my life once. However I am completely opposed to the government telling me I have to do anything that only relates to my own wellbeing. IT'S NONE OF THEIR F'ING BUSINESS. I am all growed up I don't need mommy standing next to me holding my hand every step of the way, saying oh no son put on those galoshes and yellow coat it's going to rain today. When I ride my bike sometimes I wear a helmet sometimes I don't that is my choice, MY BUSINESS, seatbelt's are no different. We don't have to wear helmets because every time they try to pass that law the riding community goes bug nuts and is on them like a wet sock. Keep letting the government tell you what is for your own good threw making laws and one day you'll find yourself not able to order double meat on your Papa Johns, Or smoke a cigar in your home. Ok thats enough GRRRRRR topics like this infuriate me so. Not the topic or discussion. Its the how the hell did we get here in the first place. Every day we are on here chatting about our on personal right to choose. I have no problem with Government or anyone making a suggestion. Like you know you really should wear a seatbelt or put your kid in a car seat, then explaining why its statistically shown to be safer. But No one is going to tell me I have to do it. Well they can say it. But I wont conform. Question: How many of you are old enough to remember the game dead dolls? When I was little we used to play it in the car on trips. Its where the kids sit in the back seat and let their body's go limp like a dead doll, then when the car goes around a corner everyone is tossled and squished together laughing uncontrollably. Or how many of you remember sitting backwards with your arms crossed on the back seat watching the world go by in reverse waving at the car behind you. That is one of my sweet remembrances from childhood. My 18 year old son has no idea what it is to play that game, because today it is illegal to play dead dolls. And go ahead and feel free to make some crack about the name of the game. I expect some idiot to say something like "Yea its called dead dolls cause you'll all be dead in a car crash" I believe that when its your time its your time and it doesn't matter if your wearing a seatbelt or a suit of armor. When God is ready to take you he is going to take you and that is it that is final. When its your time its your time period...

ElkhartGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Eklhart
    CHOICE- just got my 2nd seatbelt ticket in 2 years 1 month ago by a very nice elkhart county sheriff. told him the law was B.S. and i would rather pay an extra dollar a month in taxes if they wanted money bad enough to pull me over just because i didnt have my seatbelt on. if they get you for speeding and you dont have it on, then i think its a better reason to give such an assanine ticket.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    As a young child I rode in the back of a station wagon all over the U.S. and loved every second of it, some of the best times of my life. :rockwoot:
    This also reminds me. I about two years ago watched a show where, Jesse James and Kid Rock rode threw Mexico stopping at various over looks and points of interest. At one such spot Jesse James walked out to the end of this huge rock overhang where he was standing on the edge looking down. And made the statement you could never do this in the states. There would be a ten foot high fence here so you couldn't get near the edge and take in this view. Then he went on to comment on watching kids playing in the back seats of station wagons laughing and free.. Then he said and we call our selves free in America when even the simplest of choices our no longer ours to make, as he shook his head in disgust.

You can rationalize anything in your head if you try hard enough, even the illusion that we are free in the United States. You are not free in any sense that the founders of this country meant you to be... We give up simple basic freedoms dropping them like a good habit. Its complete and total madness. It is the same as spitting on every soldier that ever gave his life to defend those freedoms. They gave their lives so we could have the freedom of choice. I for one will not **** on that sacrifice. They chip away at the little simple freedoms and it is let go as of no consequence. Mark my words there is consequence to every little thing you give up. Once its gone you'll never get it back...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    During my tour as LEO I was at lots of accident scenes and that included a lot of fatalities. I never had to unbuckle a dead body.

I have worked my share of bad accidents over 20+ years in the big white bus. I never unbuckled a dead body either. I saw several, still buckled in, but since we didn't transport them, we didn't unbuckle them. I also saw two in the same day, at the same intersection, one between a pickup and a semi and the other between a passenger car and a semi. The first, the pickup, the driver was ejected and luckily for him, he ended up under his truck, between the wheels. His injuries were extensive and painful, but he lived without deficits. The driver of the car was not so lucky. The top was ripped off her car, you see, and she was stuck under the undercarriage of the trailer. She lost a hand in the accident and last I heard, she was still breathing, but in a persistant vegetative state in an area nursing home. We had to cut her seatbelt to free her to transport her. Oh, by the way, this was long enough ago that any insurance benefits to cover her nursing home have long since expired and she is therefore using our tax money to keep her body exchanging oxygen and carbon dioxide. This is not living. I can tell any of several stories-the upshot of all of them is that yes, sometimes belts save lives, sometimes they do not. Regardless of which it will be in any particular case, the idea that government's proper role is to protect and shelter us from any possible bad outcome that could befall us is fallacious at best.

No, I never unbuckled a dead body either, just some who I'm sure if they were given a choice would have preferred to be.

Blessings,
    B

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    This also reminds me. I about two years ago watched a show where, Jesse James and Kid Rock rode threw Mexico stopping at various over looks and points of interest. At one such spot Jesse James walked out to the end of this huge rock overhang where he was standing on the edge looking down. And made the statement you could never do this in the states. There would be a ten foot high fence here so you couldn't get near the edge and take in this view. Then he went on to comment on watching kids playing in the back seats of station wagons laughing and free.. Then he said and we call our selves free in America when even the simplest of choices our no longer ours to make, as he shook his head in disgust.

You can rationalize anything in your head if you try hard enough, even the illusion that we are free in the United States. You are not free in any sense that the founders of this country meant you to be... We give up simple basic freedoms dropping them like a good habit. Its complete and total madness. It is the same as spitting on every soldier that ever gave his life to defend those freedoms. They gave their lives so we could have the freedom of choice. I for one will not **** on that sacrifice. They chip away at the little simple freedoms and it is let go as of no consequence. Mark my words there is consequence to every little thing you give up. Once its gone you'll never get it back...

It's not like that everywhere in the US yet...

Last Christmas, we visited the Grand Canyon and while they do have hip level fencing in some areas, no area was off bounds to venture.
    We saw some really stupid people going out to areas that were just asking for a good wind to blow them off to a 500 plus foot drop.
    It really amazed me how many small children were free to roam without being on a leash.

dumb.jpg

dumb1.jpg

gc.jpg

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    It's not like that everywhere in the US yet...

Last Christmas, we visited the Grand Canyon and while they do have hip level fencing in some areas, no area was off bounds to venture.
    We saw some really stupid people going out to areas that were just asking for a good wind to blow them off to a 500 plus foot drop.
    It really amazed me how many small children were free to roam without being on a leash.

dumb.jpg

dumb1.jpg

gc.jpg

I agree its not like that everywhere yet. I lived in Arizona for several years and its one of my favorite places on earth. When I moved back to the east coast people asked me "what was so different about Az." My reply was simple. Not only is it beautiful and spacious but its still kinda like the old west they just plain don't have as many rules. You can ride your bike down the highway with your ar on your back and your .45 on your hip and no one will give you a second thought for it. If you get pulled over for speeding and your 1911 is on the dash cocked and locked the LEO will simply say hey nice piece and nod in approval. Dam I miss Az.... +1 for the beautiful pics awsome. Even though now ya kinda got me love lost. :D..JC

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Uh Oh. You done said something about leashes on Children at the Grand Canyon. It will now be a Federal Mandate! Dam U!!!!!! :D

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    After having covered 3 vehicle fatalities and helped with 4 others, and several hundred other vehicle accidents, I'm a firm believer in the seatbelt
    laws.

14 years as some form of health care provider from Fire Fighter to EMT to currently working in a LVL 1 Trauma center. I've seen and worked on dozens dead from vehicular accidents in which they were wearing their seat belts. The number dead from not wearing a seat belt? a handful. Number saved by NOT wearing a seat belt? At least 5. One vividly comes to mind from my fire rescue days. Camero vs concrete imbumpment, would have been cut in half and crushed if not thrown into passanger seat.

Seat belts save lives and take them. It is, IMO, ridiculous for the NTSB and state governments to force feed us this sh!t about how seat belts only save lives. It's total crap.

Child restraints for infants and toddlers are IMO lifesavers in virtually every instance. I've never seen an instance where a baby (0-24 months) was injured or caused damage and zero deaths when properly restrained. On the other hand the extremes of making 10 year olds sit in a booster seat is asinine.

IMO there should no laws requiring adults to wear seatbelts. Period. The area of children is, IMO a gray one. I might be persuaded to have a law forcing children under the age of 3 to be in an appropriate child restraint system... however THAT is exactly how we got laws forcing adults to buckle up.

Don't even get me started about passenger side airbags! :xmad:

That said I do wear a seat belt in most situations and my kids are always belted in.

There shouldn't be a law requiring adults to buckle up. Should be a law requiring minors whose parents don't want them buckled up to before into it either.

Choice is freedom. Total control is fascism and IMO seatbelt laws are fascist.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    IMO there should no laws requiring adults to wear seatbelts. Period. The area of children is, IMO a gray one. I might be persuaded to have a law forcing children under the age of 3 to be in an appropriate child restraint system... however THAT is exactly how we got laws forcing adults to buckle up.

And some people dismiss the slippery slope argument...

It did seem somewhat rediculous to imagine my wifes 10 year old brother, who was as tall as her at that age, riding in a booster seat.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Well if it were a lone individual - that is one thing - however, multiple people can be thrown into each other causing more severe injury.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    I have worked my share of bad accidents over 20+ years in the big white bus. I never unbuckled a dead body either. I saw several, still buckled in, but since we didn't transport them, we didn't unbuckle them. I also saw two in the same day, at the same intersection, one between a pickup and a semi and the other between a passenger car and a semi. The first, the pickup, the driver was ejected and luckily for him, he ended up under his truck, between the wheels. His injuries were extensive and painful, but he lived without deficits. The driver of the car was not so lucky. The top was ripped off her car, you see, and she was stuck under the undercarriage of the trailer. She lost a hand in the accident and last I heard, she was still breathing, but in a persistant vegetative state in an area nursing home. We had to cut her seatbelt to free her to transport her. Oh, by the way, this was long enough ago that any insurance benefits to cover her nursing home have long since expired and she is therefore using our tax money to keep her body exchanging oxygen and carbon dioxide. This is not living. I can tell any of several stories-the upshot of all of them is that yes, sometimes belts save lives, sometimes they do not. Regardless of which it will be in any particular case, the idea that government's proper role is to protect and shelter us from any possible bad outcome that could befall us is fallacious at best.

No, I never unbuckled a dead body either, just some who I'm sure if they were given a choice would have preferred to be.

Blessings,
    B

I know that it happens but it isn't the norm. Feel terrible for people who merely survive that kind of accident.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    14 years as some form of health care provider from Fire Fighter to EMT to currently working in a LVL 1 Trauma center. I've seen and worked on dozens dead from vehicular accidents in which they were wearing their seat belts. The number dead from not wearing a seat belt? a handful. Number saved by NOT wearing a seat belt? At least 5. One vividly comes to mind from my fire rescue days. Camero vs concrete imbumpment, would have been cut in half and crushed if not thrown into passanger seat.

Seat belts save lives and take them. It is, IMO, ridiculous for the NTSB and state governments to force feed us this sh!t about how seat belts only save lives. It's total crap.

Child restraints for infants and toddlers are IMO lifesavers in virtually every instance. I've never seen an instance where a baby (0-24 months) was injured or caused damage and zero deaths when properly restrained. On the other hand the extremes of making 10 year olds sit in a booster seat is asinine.

Don't even get me started about passenger side airbags! :xmad:

That said I do wear a seat belt in most situations and my kids are always belted in.

There shouldn't be a law requiring adults to buckle up. Should be a law requiring minors whose parents don't want them buckled up to before into it either.

Choice is freedom. Total control is fascism and IMO seatbelt laws are fascist.

If its your time its your time and theres nothing you can do to guard against it...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I read that most vehicle accidents happen within 5 miles of your home.
    I can't afford to move right now so I usually buckle up until I get a ways down the road.:n00b:

Seatbelt law for adults is ridiculous.:noway:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Last time I looked, speed limits and so forth were set by politicians, not engineers. I mean, I've looked at the resumes of quite a few of the folk both in State and Local government and haven't found a single traffic engineer.

They same people make the seat belt laws if you care to look. They don't have a seperate set of legislators with engineering degrees to make their intrusive laws for my own good.

Any time they make a law "for my own good" or need to invoke the holy liberal mantra "it's for the cheeeeldrin, if only one child is..." you, I, and they all know they are sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    I have always felt that seatbelts should be a persons choice. If seatbelts were required by law back in the 60's I would have grown up without my dad.

He hit a train and his face impacted the steering wheel. It shattered the wheel and broke the column in half because of the force of the impact. Also the impact forced him into basicly be laid out on the bench seat. When the rescue workers removed him from the car, the front had compressed so much that what was left of the steering column had gone thru the driver seat. If seatbelt laws were in place back then the steering wheel would have been pushed thru his chest and out of the back of the seat. His face was crushed and it took a lot of surgery and time for physical therapy, but at least he is still with us today.

I were my belt now only because I prefer not to pay the tickets. But I am not one who believes that they are the big life saver that they are made out to be. But that's just my opinion.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Does it really even matter if it is proven to save lives? NO because that shouldnt matter because it should be a personal choice. Next the government will mandate us to all drive volvos(just said volvo because they make really safe cars)

its all a bunch of crap and its gonna get worse

Top Bottom