• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- A man police said was on a murder mission plowed into pedestrians with a truck in a crowded Tokyo neighborhood Sunday and then stabbed 17 people in three minutes, killing at least seven in a grisly attack that shocked Japan.

Rescue workers from the Tokyo Fire Department gather to help the injured in Tokyo's Akihabara district.

The lunchtime assault -- on the seventh anniversary of a mass stabbing in Japan in 2001 -- sent thousands of pedestrians into a panic in Tokyo's crowded Akihabara district, an electronics and video game area wildly popular among the country's cyber-wise youth.

A 25-year-old man, Tomohiro Kato, was arrested with blood on his face. Police said Kato provided no motive for the attack -- other than he wanted to murder strangers.

"The suspect told police that he came to Akihabara to kill people," said Jiro Akaogi, a spokesman for the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department.

"He said he was tired of life. He said he was sick of everything," Akaogi said.

The violence began when he crashed a rented, two-ton truck into pedestrians. Kato jumped out and began stabbing the people he'd knocked down with the truck, then turned on horrified onlookers, police said.

Police confirmed seven deaths -- six men and one woman -- but they could not say whether the victims had died of injuries from the truck or were stabbed to death. Video Watch report on stabbing spree »

Reports said the attacker grunted and roared as he slashed and stabbed at Sunday shoppers crowding a street lined with huge stores packed with computers and other advanced electronics, and the latest in video and computer games.

"He was screaming as he was stabbing people at random," an unidentified male witness told public broadcaster NHK.

A witness also told NHK the suspect dropped his knife after police threatened to shoot him. Amateur video filmed by mobile phone showed policemen overpowering the bespectacled, bloodied suspect.

The attack paralyzed the district and sent thousands of Sunday shoppers into a panic. Amateur video taken five minutes after the rampage showed shoppers helping victims and a man screaming, "Ambulance, Ambulance!"

At least 17 ambulances rushed to the scene, and rescue workers feverishly tended to victims in the blood-pooled street.

As night fell on Akihabara, several pedestrians stopped by and prayed at the crime scene. A bouquet of flowers, bottles of green tea and incense sticks were placed at the site.
    advertisement

Once rare, stabbing attacks have become more frequent in Japan in recent years as violent crime has increased.

In March, one person was stabbed to death and at least seven others were hurt by a man who went on a slashing spree with two knives outside a shopping mall in eastern Japan. In one of the worst attacks, a man with a history of mental illness burst into an elementary school in Japan on June 9, 2001, and killed eight children. The killer was executed in 2004

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I just saw that article a few minutes ago on msnbc.com. I agree with Melensdad that people do always fnd a way to kill each other. It is a sad and tragic story.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This happens far more frequently in Japan than we'll ever know. A very similar incident slipped through and made it to the news a few years ago when a guy did the same thing in a subway station in Tokyo with a similar death toll.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    How about someone cracks open a can of man there in Tokyo and tackles the guy before 17 people get stabbed.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    How about someone cracks open a can of man there in Tokyo and tackles the guy before 17 people get stabbed.

They have been pretty immasculated since WWII, with the banning of firearms and all. Pretty much the same thing that is happening in the UK.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Realistically, in Nihama, we had almost literally a cop on every corner. They see a guy like this running around, he would be answered by a Miroku in .38 or a Sig P226. Nihama doesn't mess around.

Tokyo sucked in the sense of police. Many of the police are subject to local gangs whim that while not as well armed, have numbers against a local constabulary. Imagine a small convienience store, cut it in half and you have a local office (not a prefectural command). The Tokyo police generally also dont carry firearms (reverse in smaller towns) as they believe that with more people, the risk of gun stealing rises, plus also their funding for such a large area stinks. The police usually always vote against or poorly patrol newly reclaimed land areas due to the dilution of funding that occurs because of it (they get funded by prefectural physical size, not per person situation). Heck, I saw a news story of a kid that stole a cop's gun right off the lanyard then stabbed the cop in the back (gotta save ammo I guess) without the cop even being the wiser. Riots? There was roughly a small riot every other week when I was there. Their media is government overseen, so alot doesnt get out. Their idea of a riot could also be constrewed as a minor demonstration over here though :D.

I learned quickly over there to carry a kitchen knife at minimum, as a knife is like a gun there. A large carver=1911, smaller paring=Keltec :D. You can get out of a lot of trouble by flashing a small knife (unless the attacker is carrying a bat, bat=AR15).

It truely is a different world over there. What we see in the global news is nothing compared to what actually goes on over there.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Admittedly, there has been an increasing issue with youth in the past decade there. More and more issues with crime and mental illness, mostly due to the schedule that is imposed in their education system, not to mention the pressure put upon them by their society. However, not everyone can succeed after college in a failing economy over there (the bubble has burst and while the economy is settling down, the society isnt). More and more mental illness cases like this are popping up, mostly also as a counterculture is forming there. Fueled by western individualism and, from the view of someone who looked at both cultures, unrestrained violence (school shootings, rampant crime, etc..) has leaked into the youth's culture. Screwed up kids here dream about Columbine. Japan has far more problems with youth illness, however, has no programs or social room for such things. Expect to see far more of this overseas. :(

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Was that a big mountain? I remember climbing something there. I spent a lot of my time in Fukuoka. I remember seeing a lot of interesting cars that would wind up in our market here about 2-3 years later.

Cool! I went to Miyazaki on a daytrip once. Where did you spend you time at there?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    This is the kind of event that's lead to the British actually banning blades, and starting to do searches of their citizens to make sure they aren't carrying knives etc.

It's terrible that they aren't going after the people causing the problems, and are rather going after the tools. There will always be tools. Even if it's just rocks, or tree limbs. Psychos will do what Psychos do with whatever they have at hand.

I do agree with Fenway though. One would think a group of even 5 determined men should be able to subdue a knife wielding psycho to have prevented this from being as bad as it was.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I'm not the kind of person who arm chair quarterbacks and tells people "I would have shot him between the eyes"

But 17 people get stabbed before he is stopped?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    But 17 people get stabbed before he is stopped?
    Japanese society is not one that is designed to "get into the fight" anymore. The warrior tradition that many people believe is present is no longer available to the public there. The land of Japan resembles that of a Shogunate court rather than a land of fighter tradition. People use their words and subversive actions to get ahead now.

We are so unused to inaction. There it isnt "inaction" but potential safety. Its a strange wiring of their cultural mind, however, a relatively leaderless environment that isnt work or school, the average Japanese citizen isnt going to act, other than informing a constable. People were shocked when they saw me proactive in many cases over there because it isnt in their system (jumping into action with a kitchen knife or a Manhurian .32 is simply shocking if your job isnt protection in their minds). They believe in consensus over a mass of people, so it would take a while for them to construct a system of resistance to a threat, wherein an existing system exists (the police). Sad, but meerly a product of their industrialization.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Oh, Fen: I didnt get close enough to the mountains. Hung out in a small port there, got to see them in the distance, however, didnt get to climb them (plus that would put me into another prefecture). Kyushu isnt a popular place for Geijin to visit b/c its not as sunny as Okinawa (would be like if I visited Dayton on a clear day, where oki is like Florida) and not alot of "attractions" as on the mainland. I only went to accompany that at the time girlfriend to her father's funeral. Great swimming on the coast though. Deep, but gentle tides on that side of the island.:D

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The gun ban imposed upon them has some traditions:
    The general fear by the government of the people: Forged at the turn of the century, the government (composed now of a powerful secular and witht eh emperor as meerly a figurehead of power) feared a "citizen army" after the Army soundly defeated rebel samurai (the movie the Last Samurai was very very wrong in many aspects, looked like history and The Shogun by James Clavell threw up into one). The government seeing the power of a relatively untrained force armed scared them to a degree. Also, with a strong secularism force taking over power in the government (mostly due to Western structure and economic influence, not to mention culture), the government feared a uprising of armed "peasantry" to avenge the destruction of the system they have known for generations and that many clung to out of tradition (feudalism under either an emperor or shogun in the lack of an emperor). The people at the time wanted to stay with the isolationist policies of former regimes as in their minds, it was pure (Japanese are amazingly ethnocentric many times in history, I was considered mentally retarded because I had to speak Japanese slowly to say things clearly).

This also extends into the tradition that no one but a soldier/samurai/warrior/constable may carry a weapon.

Americans didnt allow Japanese personal ownership (sorry, VERY VERY restrictive ownership, I did own a .32 French revolver for a while:D) as they feared a popular overturn of the seated (at the time) government after WW2 to return to the glorious government that was recently taken out by the US as part of Japan's surrender.

Considering if weapons were allowed to the average salaryman, florist, messenger, Harajuku girl (heaven forbid), then their cultural viewpoint may actually change somewhat. We are now seeing a cultural change and adaptation overseas that is unprecedented. More and more western ideals are flooding into Japan and many of the Old Guard are being challeneged. The government form, parlimentary, while imposed upon them by the US is actually in widespread acceptance by the Japanese (widespread, not total. Had an old man call me all sorts of names for what I apparently did to him in WW2 :O). I dont see loosening of firearms laws in Japan at any juncture in their history, however, I would see more and more societal changes that allow for one of two things:
    1. Acceptance of teen issues and changes/programs in their society that allow for corrective action to be taken on the youth (psychological evaluations and medical solutions).
    2. Further ignoring of the issue (tradition) and simply accepting the increase in "barbaric" attacks upon the average citizen. More police spending measures passed or at least brought before the Diet would occur. The place wouldnt become a police state, but very restrictive on the youth.

Their society is very restrictive on personal liberties, however, they put things in place that help the average citizen. They make laws banning certain foods, however, offer free health insurance (or at least very generous ones through your company). They wont let you have firearms, however, there is literally a constable on every corner (and many are your friends) that do not lord power over you (unless they are corrupt, damn yakuza and hannabui). They have very restrictive laws regarding your vehicle's power output, design, etc.., however you have some of the more interesting vehicles on the planet, not to mention that one really doesnt need a car with the most extensive train system and best bicyling environment possible.

Everything there is in balance and they keep it that way. There is personal ownership of weapons but HEAVILY restricted. Police chiefs arent even allowed in many cases to keep firearms. There are permits, but take forever to get. Imagine getting a supressor in this country. Now make that tax stamp 2000 dollars for a weapon that costs 10x the cost here, not to mention checking in your ammunition every month and giving fingerprints (and now DNA) to your local prefectural police command. Actually, not very bad in a country designed to keep them out of your hands, you just need money. There is no separate license for carry of a firearm, you own it, you carry it. All in all, its a very expensive version of our system here, just with more paperwork tying that weapon to you.

Top Bottom