• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm getting a new Simmons 3-9x 22 mag scope delivered tomorrow. The HIGH tomorrow here in Northern Indiana is going to be 4 degrees. Do you think there is any issue with the scope sitting on my doorstep all day in subzero temp? Thanks

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    I would imagine it would be like any other temperature sensative device. Generally when I do this, I do my best to resist temptation of opening the ups box all together. Or just pull the scope case out of the ups box. It should be a slow enough change that nothing affects the insides (I am not speaking of scope products, just general items. I know nothing of if a lens could fall out of its holder in cold temps. I don't have any scopes)

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Yes, Squarepeg likes to shoot blindfolded.
    blindfolded-smile.gif

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The biggest issue I would think is bringing something cold into a warm, HUMID environment. The humidity could condense in places you don't want it to. Keeping it in the UPS box and slowly raising temperature will stop this.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Go ahead open her up and play to your hearts content. I have several scopes that I hunt with, and never think twice about taking one from in the truck at 70 deg, out into 0 deg temps, and then back into the truck to go home. If it won't take temp changes, you might want to be careful not to bump it, or only mount it on a 22 so it doesn't get recoil damage.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I would take it off the door step and dip it straight into some boiling water and let us know what happens? :dunno:

I think you should be fine as long as your home is not super humid as stated above.

If it does get condensation in it or some other damage just ship it back :D

Top Bottom