• ...and so much more!
  • MainManRay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    West Terre Haute, IN
    Hello All

I have a flat top DPMS LR 308 that I have mounted a Bushnell 4200 elite scope on. The problem I am having is when I need to pull the charging handle their is not much clearance between the scope and the stock to easily pull the charging handle, so its aquard to operate. Plus the buffer spring for the 308 is much harder than the standard 5.56 AR15 to pull so I need to get a firm grip to give it a pull. I'm sure I am not the first one that has experience this issue. Any ideas or recommendations for different charging handles or mods to the stock one

Thanks

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    How low is your scope mounted? I have a few flat tops with scopes and don't really have any issues, not 7.62s though.

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    Hello All

I have a flat top DPMS LR 308 that I have mounted a Bushnell 4200 elite scope on. The problem I am having is when I need to pull the charging handle their is not much clearance between the scope and the stock to easily pull the charging handle, so its aquard to operate. Plus the buffer spring for the 308 is much harder than the standard 5.56 AR15 to pull so I need to get a firm grip to give it a pull. I'm sure I am not the first one that has experience this issue. Any ideas or recommendations for different charging handles or mods to the stock one

Thanks
    awkward..FIFY...:D

MainManRay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    West Terre Haute, IN
    Here is a photo to help describe the issue. I am using weaver style 1 inch windage adjustable rings.
    2010-07-2500.48.50.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Pic no Worky....

But if you have a flat top with low rings and can't operate the charging handle the scope probably rides to low for a proper sight picture and cheek weld. I have Flat Tops with Risers or Med rings and have no problem operating the charging handles. My M4 style rifles do have extended latches on them but they really aren't needed.

boyscout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Why don't you get an elevated rail for the scope. This will give more clearance for the charging handle. I have a DPMS set up with the Lo Pro upper. My 5.56 has just enough clearance for my tactical scope.

MainManRay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    West Terre Haute, IN
    Thanks guys for you input. I have looked at the suggestion you provided , and i think that the badger ordance tach latch looks pretty nice im going to order one and ill post what results i come up with. Thanks again for you suggestions.

Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    There are several manufacturers that make a replacement charging handle latch. As mentioned earlier Badger mfg, is one. The replacement latches allow charging access to the left side of the charging handle. To replace the latch, one drives out the rolll pin, remove the latch and spring, install the new latch, and return the spring to position, and finally drive the roll pin back in place. I spend more time selecting the correct size punch to remove the pin than the actual installation.
    Hoosier

Top Bottom