• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JdsBiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Muncie
    Recently I purchased a CVA Hunter in 44 mag. This rifle is intended for my 9 year old daughter to use when she goes deer hunting with me this year. I am looking for suggestions for a fixed power scope to simplify things for her. 4X is ideal but open to other suggestions. Also would like to keep the price under $200.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Simmons 4x or a 2.5x tasco bantam will work fine. You're not going to be shooting very far. The cheap tasco has held up to my 500 we rifle without any problems so far.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If you want adjustable, there are quite a few good options in the 2-7x32 range (2-7x35, 2-6x, 1.5-6x, etc)
    Since you didn't list a price, I'm just gonna assume you want around $150-250. You can certainly find decent fixed scopes (like a 4x) in this price range or less.

Vortex Diamondback
    Nikon Prostaff
    Redfield revolution
    Weaver (not sure model)

These are all solid options. I love Vortex, but in this configuration (the Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35) some of the other scopes get better reviews, have longer eye relief, etc., but it's hard to beat the peace of mind with the Vortex no questions/no b.s. warranty coverage.

If your budget is noiceably larger or smaller than $150-250, you'll have many other options also.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    For your application, I would probably go with a variable and simply pick the setting that works best for her environment (and not change it.) Unless you are working with her on dialing adjustments or looking to use a BDC, the variable doesn't have to make it more complicated but may provide more options as she grows (such as keeping it on 2x at the bottom for close-in or shots or tracking, while being able to adjust to 4-6x for shots >100yds.) I enjoy the weight savings & size of fixed scopes, but I do believe the newer variables have reduced their advantages somewhat.

In your price range, the Vortex CFii is a solid choice while the Diamondback will take more abuse. I have had good luck with Weavers, but their CS has not impressed me in the past (and by all means, keep your original receipt.)

You might want to just give Alan ('Vette) a call as he is great at walking folks through these sorts of decisions.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Recently I purchased a CVA Hunter in 44 mag. This rifle is intended for my 9 year old daughter to use when she goes deer hunting with me this year. I am looking for suggestions for a fixed power scope to simplify things for her. 4X is ideal but open to other suggestions. Also would like to keep the price under $200.

I have Variable scopes, on all of my rifles..... IIRC, they are all set at 4x.... I like to be able to change.....

I NEVER buy fixed power..... JMHO..... YMMV .....

JdsBiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Muncie
    I am not opposed to a variable power scope, I was just trying to idiot proof the scope so the magnification would not get changed and go unnoticed.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm a fixed power fan too. They're hard to beat when you want something simple, rugged and light. I've had excellent luck out of my Leupold FXII (Scout) 2.5X on my Ruger GSR, and I know they make a 4 power (non scout) version that is well reviewed.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am not opposed to a variable power scope, I was just trying to idiot proof the scope so the magnification would not get changed and go unnoticed.

Then this would be my recommendation priced at 179

Vortex Optics - Diamondback 1.75-5x32 Dead-Hold BDC

Set the BDC for 5x, and if she has something come in thick brush where 5x is to much then dial it down. You will probably normally shoot on 5x, but the option to crank it down for targets in thick brush is good to have.

The same scope in 2-7 would not be the wrong choice either.

Last edited:

JdsBiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Muncie
    I would ask where you do most of your hunting and at what average range?

Usually hunt in Ohio county with most shots being under 100 yards, closer to 50 yards.

I am leaning torward the Vortex Diamond back that 42769vette suggested. I am liking the idea of being able to dial it down for brush like he suggested.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Usually hunt in Ohio county with most shots being under 100 yards, closer to 50 yards.

I am leaning torward the Vortex Diamond back that 42769vette suggested. I am liking the idea of being able to dial it down for brush like he suggested.

Let me know when your ready, I have them in stock ready to go.

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Had bad experience personally with the task bantam on a muzzleloader. Id go with a nikon or leupold designed for the kick from a loader or shotgun. Remember you get when you pay for when it comes to glass....an extra $50-$100 puts you in a much nicer scope.

bulldogs42

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Leupold. For fixed go with the M8, which can be bought for around $150 in a 4x. Otherwise, the VX-1 or a Refield Revolution (made by Leupold) in a variable format will work great. They are shockproof, waterproof, and fog proof, and come with a lifetime warranty. They also retain their value if you decide to sell them.

Top Bottom