• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    Looking for advice on a scope for my 39a. Just got back into shooting the past year. The 39a has not been shot in over 15 years and when I went to sight in the old Bushnell everything was locked up and it would not adjust.

Looking to keep the price reasonable, $150 or under. Bought a 10/22 recently and put a Tasco World Class on it and really not too impressed with it. Leaning toward Nikon right now.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Vortex Optics - Crossfire II Riflescopes

these absolutly blow the nikon prostaff away and some are not out of your price range.

the 2-7x35 bdc runs 129
    the 3-9x40 bdc runs 149

the glass is better, the warranty is better, the tracking is better on the crossfire 2 than the nikon.

here is a review i did, but there are alot of reviews on here that my unbiased customers have done aswell if you dig around
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/205897-vortex_crossfire_2_review.html

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    a model 39a is plenty accurate to benifit from a scope. and although shots can be made with a peep site, its easier with a scope and we dont know what type shots he is trying to make so we cant say for sure he doesnt need a scope

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The thing about the lever action with a scope is the look. To big of a scope never looks right. You want enough power but will give up power for size. The 2 7 X32 looks ok. I also like the little ultra light scope in 2.5 and 4 power of even a fixed 6 power. That would do for your 50 yard shooting at the range also. If you are going to go out to 100 yards you are going to need more than 7 power to me. If you are hunting the 2-7 is fine.

So the 2-7 with ring as low as you can go. Remember the 39 was around way before optics were popular or affordable.So the stock slopes for a great iron sights view. Mount a scope to high and you are going to raise the cheek off the stock.

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    Thanks for the replies. I will mainly just plinking with it. I personally like the look of the scope on it. To me it looks plain without it.
    I bought it in my early 20's, I'm 49 now. It had a 3x9x40 Redfield scope on it back then and can remember shooting coins at 50 yards with it.

Iron sites may be good for you with younger eyes than me. Actually had cataract surgery earlier this year. Can see 20/20 at distance now but looking down the sights is very blurry.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    That gun is so accurate you don't need a scope. I took my first squirrel with it at 50yrd and 20 foot up. Now my Marlin 60 has a small scope on it but doesn't need it. I just cringe when I see or hear the word Scope on a 39A.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That gun is so accurate you don't need a scope. I took my first squirrel with it at 50yrd and 20 foot up. Now my Marlin 60 has a small scope on it but doesn't need it. I just cringe when I see or hear the word Scope on a 39A.

mabye he want to take a squirrel at 100 yards and 20 ft up, or mabye his eye sight is not as good as yours. its absolutly impossibable to tell someone they do or dont need a scope with out knowing what they want to do with the gun:twocents:. model and caliber have little to nothing to do with it.

for instance some folks would tell me i dont need a 900 dollar scope on my 22 because they could kill a squirrel at 100 yards with it and a 50 dollar walmart scope. problem is i could care less about killing squirrels with that gun. that gun is for target shooting out to 400-500 yards

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Vette it's more tongue in cheek ribbing him. I personally don't care what anyone does to their guns however the 39A is just a gun that doesn't need much.
    Then again you are in the scope business and Im a Marlin fan.

cjbecker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I will mainly just plinking with it. I personally like the look of the scope on it. To me it looks plain without it.
    I bought it in my early 20's, I'm 49 now. It had a 3x9x40 Redfield scope on it back then and can remember shooting coins at 50 yards with it.

Iron sites may be good for you with younger eyes than me. Actually had cataract surgery earlier this year. Can see 20/20 at distance now but looking down the sights is very blurry.

thats one of the perks to peep sights, the front sight and the target are in perfect sharpness. It corrects for you.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    If yours was an M I'd say the little 4X Redfield..........classic setup.
    But nowadays many folks think those scopes were fashioned from gold tube.

That is the way my dad's old 39A is setup. Although, I need to verify it again. I did a full cleaning after the last range trip when it didn't seem to group anymore. I wonder if the ole' Redfield has seen better days.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    The old optics, Binoculars, Scopes and camera lens sometimes aquire Fungus inside (no, i don't know how it gets in there) but it turns the optic into something the grandkids can play with.

Top Bottom