• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I'm new to NFA firearms, so I thought I'd ask this to one of you guys who has already been through the process of buying one a question I had. I want to buy a standard AR-15 lower receiver and have it shipped to my FFL, then I wanted to purchase an AR-15 upper with a 10 1/2 inch barrel to complete my SBR (the link for the upper is at the bottom if you need to see it). So what do I need to do to legally register the lower receiver so I can install the short barrel upper on it. Sorry if this is a simple question, but I just want to understand the laws before I commit a felony! :):
    Thanks for the help!

Welcome to Model 1 Sales' Online Order Center

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    To register your AR15 as a SBR you must do the following:
    1. Fill out ATF Form1 in duplicate
    2. Obtain the signature of your chief local law enforcement officer on both copies of your Form 1.
    3. Obtain and affix a passport photo of yourself on both copies of your Form 1.
    4. Fill out a citizenship compliance sheet.
    5. Enclose a check or money order in the amount of $200
    6. Send everything above to the NFA branch for approval.
    7. Send your lower to Orion Arms to be engraved with your Name, City and State.
    8. Once your forms have been approved and sent back to you, order your 10.5" upper.
    9. Place upper on lower, insert mag and rock and roll:do2:

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Thanks a bunch! This will probably be my first NFA firearm once I'm finished. I'm trying to get the money saved an all the paperwork done before inauguration time next year! :)
    One question: I haven't order my AR lower yet, but when I do can I just ship it to my local FFL? It isn't registered yet, so once I order it, it won't have to go to a Class 3 dealer, right? Thanks again, it's actually a little easier than I thought to do this NFA stuff!

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Yeah, it's just a regular ol' lower, your regular FFL will do the transfer to you. It won't be a Title II item until after you register it as an SBR.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    It's kind of unclear to me if you are wanting a SBR or an AR pistol. Big paperwork difference between the two. For an SBR you need to do like VUPD said. For a pistol have your FFL transfer it as a pistol receiver and you're done, that's it no more paperwork. Slap your 10.5" upper on it and you're set. You cannot put a stock on it in this configuration though (that would make it an NFA item). You would need to put a longer barrel on it in order to have a stock.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It's kind of unclear to me if you are wanting a SBR or an AR pistol. Big paperwork difference between the two. For an SBR you need to do like VUPD said. For a pistol have your FFL transfer it as a pistol receiver and you're done, that's it no more paperwork. Slap your 10.5" upper on it and you're set. You cannot put a stock on it in this configuration though (that would make it an NFA item). You would need to put a longer barrel on it in order to have a stock.
    I believe he knows what he is asking. He obviously knows what a SBR is, and since the 'R' is for 'Rifle' I'm pretty sure he doesn't want a pistol. Besides, a 10.5" upper on a pistol would be like holding a stick with a brick on the end...:cool:

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Yeah, I'm wanting a short barrel rifle. I'm not really a fan of AR or AK type pistols, this is using a standard AR lower receiver with a 6-position stock.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Yeah, I'm wanting a short barrel rifle. I'm not really a fan of AR or AK type pistols, this is using a standard AR lower receiver with a 6-position stock.
    However, it may not be a bad idea to have the lower transfered as a pistol. This way you are 'legally' able to have the SB upper and it won't be construed as 'constructive intent'.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I believe he knows what he is asking. He obviously knows what a SBR is, and since the 'R' is for 'Rifle' I'm pretty sure he doesn't want a pistol. Besides, a 10.5" upper on a pistol would be like holding a stick with a brick on the end...:cool:

Like I said I wasn't sure. Just letting him know another option just in case. At least now one more thread will pop up when n00bs decide to search for something AR pistol related. :do2:

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Alright, so I printed out the Form 1 to fill out as much as I could now and I have a few questions. First, what should I put for "reason" of making the firearm? Second, what should I put for barrel length since I'm only registering the receiver? Do I put what the barrel length on it will be, or just leave it blank? Lastly, do I need to submit an FBI Form FD-258 fingerprint card? These forms confuse me! :dunno:

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    If you get the lower transferred to you as a pistol you need to use a pistol buffer tube, not the 4/6 pos with the stock removed. You can easily slap the stock on it and get federal charges.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    If you get the lower transferred to you as a pistol you need to use a pistol buffer tube, not the 4/6 pos with the stock removed. You can easily slap the stock on it and get federal charges.

Yeah, I'm not transferring it as a pistol, I'm only registering it as an SBR because I really don't have any other plans for it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    First, what should I put for "reason" of making the firearm?

You can put whatever you want here; I don't think they actually read it. I recently saw a form that listed "zombies," and heard of another that listed "chicks dig it" - both were approved. :rockwoot: That said, you probably want to go with something a little more innocuous, that covers all the bases. I've always used "defense, collection, recreation and all other lawful purposes". "All lawful purposes" would also be acceptable.

Second, what should I put for barrel length since I'm only registering the receiver? Do I put what the barrel length on it will be, or just leave it blank?

Leaving it blank is a sure-fire way to get your form rejected. Pick the barrel you're going to use the most, and estimate the OAL using that barrel. When I did my first SBR in 2005, I listed "less than 16" for barrel length and "less than 26" for OAL, but I understand ATF has recently started kicking back forms with "blanket" measurements like that. On the Form 1 I currently have pending, I listed 10.5" as the barrel length and 25" as OAL.

Lastly, do I need to submit an FBI Form FD-258 fingerprint card?

You need to submit TWO completed copies of the Form 1, TWO completed FD-258LE fingerprint cards (with the ORI WVATF0100), and a completed F5330.20 - Certificate of Compliance With 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) (i.e. the "citizenship form").

HTH!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    You can download the form 1? I ordered it and have been waiting. Where can I download said form?

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I was on the ATF's website this morning and could not download the pdf file it said it was only available to order.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

The TitleII.com Form 1 is an old/incorrect version (July 2004 revision with approval signature block on back), and ATF won't accept it.

Per CS223 on ARFcom:

The html to pdf version of the Form 1 with the Martinsburg WV addy such as appears on the TitleII.com web site is not a valid form.

Apparently when ATF Updated the Form 1, they put their approval signature block on the back. This of course could allow someone to xerox that back of the form with falsified information on the front of the form.

In addition, it has come to my attention that ATF is rejecting the previous version of the Form 1 simply because it had the old address. As of 4-18-07, the only option is to order the printed version of the Form 1 from the ATF website ATF Forms and either fill it out by hand or type it. If you have submitted the previous version, they will kick it back with a new version of the Form 1 for you to fill out.

Every time I've ordered forms from the ATF, I've gotten them in about a week.

Top Bottom