• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Does anyone have any experience in these rifles are they accurate and rugged? Looking at one in .270 or .308. Just want it for hunting and for just plain shooting for fun. I am ready for all opinions. Thanks.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    They are a decent rifle for their intened use. I had one in 308 and it was what it was. Shot good for the price of the rifle but not an MOA shooter. But was 100% reliable which is a major plus in a hunting rifle. I guess if your wanting a cheap bolt gun to just shoot, yea Id say you will enjoy it. Just dont expect high dollar accuracy for a 300 dollar rifle;)

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    A friend of mine had one in 22-250 and it was very accurate. My overall impression was that it was a pretty decent rifle for the money.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I have one in 308 that I've probably put 100 or so rounds through it with no problems. It took me three adjustments out of the box to get it to zero at 100 yards. For what it is I think it is a great entry level/budget rifle. If you plan on just hunting and shooting 200 yards or less with it then go for it, but if you plan on precision shooting at longer distances I'd look at a higher end Savage or Remington

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    I have shot one a couple times and I was pretty impressed. The one I've shot will shoot right at 1 moa with inexpensive ammo. Looking back on it, I should have gotten one instead of a Stevens so I couldn't buy as many upgrades.

Mortblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    I have an Axis. Fantastic rifle for the money. Also a very consistant rifle.

As an "old retired guy" I spend a lot of time at the local WMA range. I help two or three people sight in an Axis every week.

I find that off sandbags they are consistantly 1.5"@100 yd shooters when using factory ammo. The scope/rifle combo is usually on the paper and an average shooter will usually be zeroed in three shots and ready to hunt.

It does not matter which caliber you choose. I have worked with .243, .308, .270, 30-06 and they all shoot inside 1 1/2".

My '06 will go inside 1" with handloads.

The trigger also could stand some attention and it is a strange design that is easy to lighten but difficult to smooth out.

As was stated, for $300 it is a usable bargin.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I love mine. I opted for a little better scope than the factory. I have shot many groundhogs with deadly accuracy. Mine is .223 and I am currently considering a .270 as my next one. Highly reccomend.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Does anyone have any experience in these rifles are they accurate and rugged? Looking at one in .270 or .308. Just want it for hunting and for just plain shooting for fun. I am ready for all opinions. Thanks.

I have the "Edge" in .308 which is the same rifle. Other than the trigger, the rifle is great. Very accurate. I easily shoot MOA with handloads. The trigger can be replaced with an aftermarket drop in, or if you are competent enough you can drop it down to about 2.5-3 pounds on your own.

The stock leaves some to be desired as well. While the rifle is lightweight, it's just not top quality, but you shouldn't expect top quality for $300.

If you're looking for a cheap, lightweight rifle to plink around with or hunt, it's awesome. If you're wanting something to turn into a competition shooter, I'd suggest spending the money on a 10 or 12.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I had one in .223. Not a bad rifle, but the trigger was horrible. If you are looking for a budget rifle, I would choose the Mossberg 100 ATR over the Savage. I had one as well, and it's a better rifle in my opinion.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I have a savage in layaway as we speak, my first bolt action. Mine isnt a savage, its a precision carbine LE. Initially i found it is a great gun other than the stock. But liek i said i havent got to shoot it yet. I plan on mountig a nikon prostaff on it........

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    A buddy of mine brought one home NIB from the 1500 few shows back. It shot his handloads ( 223) inside an inch at 100 and he's no great rifleman. I think they are under rated rifles.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Ive got 2 of them and am very happy with them (especially for the price). Ive got a .308 with a bushell banner 4-12 scope on it. I can personally hit 2" groups with it using cheap factory ammo, I have seen it do just under 1.5" groups from someone that is a better shooter than me. The other one I have is a 22-250 with a redfield 3-9 scope on it. I have hit 1.25" groups using wwb ammo. If I was to use quality ammo I could probably get moa groups with it even as bad of a shot as I am.

The one thing I recommend is dont get the package, just get the rifle and put your own scope on it because the ones that come with them are pretty well junk, even the bushnell (wont hold zero at all even on a .17HMR) that some of them have. I have other savages also and of all of them one came with a tasco and that is the best scope that I have received in a package.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Ive got 2 of them and am very happy with them (especially for the price). Ive got a .308 with a bushell banner 4-12 scope on it. I can personally hit 2" groups with it using cheap factory ammo, I have seen it do just under 1.5" groups from someone that is a better shooter than me. The other one I have is a 22-250 with a redfield 3-9 scope on it. I have hit 1.25" groups using wwb ammo. If I was to use quality ammo I could probably get moa groups with it even as bad of a shot as I am.

The one thing I recommend is dont get the package, just get the rifle and put your own scope on it because the ones that come with them are pretty well junk, even the bushnell (wont hold zero at all even on a .17HMR) that some of them have. I have other savages also and of all of them one came with a tasco and that is the best scope that I have received in a package.

I've used the Bushnell that came on my Edge XP in .308 for about a year now and it holds zero just fine. I also like the detachable magazine that comes with the XP version of the rifle. The Bushnell that mine came with (I don't know the model) tracks good, holds zero, and is actually very clear glass for a cheap scope. I did have to replace the rings because one side was stripped and came loose after every shot, but after that, it's been a great little cheap set-up.

If it's not holding zero, it's most likely your rings or base. Make sure they are tight.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My Axis shot close to .5 MOA with factory ammo after minor mods (Winchester 100 gr .243).
    But the stock sucked no matter what.
    Entry level rifle? I'd get a Stevens 200 or Remington synth 700ADL (sold my Axis and did the latter).

Need to be aware (IMHO) that this "entry level" rifle..........if somebody isn't handy, and chooses a certain scope.............they may have to drop $43 on an EGW scope base, and then if they dislike the factory trigger, it's $80 for a Rifle Basix trigger.

And nobody makes an aftermarket stock for it, last I checked.

Kinda hurts that "bargain".

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I'm looking at the Axis Sr in 308. Detachable box magazine and threaded barrel for a suppressor.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Need to be aware (IMHO) that this "entry level" rifle..........if somebody isn't handy, and chooses a certain scope.............they may have to drop $43 on an EGW scope base, and then if they dislike the factory trigger, it's $80 for a Rifle Basix trigger
    [
    I paid $7.98 for my scope bases. They are weaver #46. They were $3.99 each at dicks. any bases that fit a savage 10/110 will fit the axis.

Top Bottom