• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I finally got my hands on one of the newer Savage FCP-SR 24" models in 308win. I have to say so far I'm super impressed, its just so tough to beat Savages out of the box accuracy. Especially with shooting just factory ammo. I really like the fluting on the rifle its well done with smooth cuts in the fluting, the threads were perfect. Only real downside to rifle is the new polymer 10rd box mag their using in this newer FCP-SR model. It kept having trouble falling out after mounted. I really don't like that, but for the price point compared to the first version of the FCP-SR I cant really complain much. Although I wish they would have done something a little different, maybe something along the lines of what Howa does with their ATI 10rd DBM kit. All in all I'm super stoked about it, cant wait to load development and get it stepped out a bit further!

This 5 Shot group at 210yrds with factory Federal Gold Medal Match ammo, pretty much sums up what most of us have come to expect out of a Savage rifle these days. With factory ammo out of a factory rifle Ill take it!
    FCP_SR.jpg

[video=youtube;cQmOyd2dmbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQmOyd2dmbc[/video]

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Good review. Glad I bought a good lot of FGMM 168gr. I'm sure my Savage will shoot it just as well. Need to shoot some of that Perfecta I bought so I can start doing some load development.

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    Enjoyed seeing your reviews. Slightly off topic, if you had to pick between a ruger american and like a basic savage 11, which way would you go? Probably won't go wrong with either, but just curious to hear your opinion, since i think i have seen you have had them all.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Enjoyed seeing your reviews. Slightly off topic, if you had to pick between a ruger american and like a basic savage 11, which way would you go? Probably won't go wrong with either, but just curious to hear your opinion, since i think i have seen you have had them all.

Savage simply for the accutrigger. Both would shoot minute of deer heart/lungs. JMO

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

I picked up a ruger American and like it a lot. Def better than an axis lol

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

Thanks! Well I would have to ask what you'd be doing with the rifle. If your looking for strictly a target rifle to just take to the range and shoot paper with occasionally taking hunting. Then honestly either will serve you well It really just boils down to personal preference. For me though I have to give the edge to the Savage if for no other reason than the Accutrigger. Its just such an Awesome trigger to get in a factory rifle. Not to say the Ruger trigger in the American line isn't nice, cause it is for the price point of the rifle. Also I like a heavy barrel but I target shoot and don't hunt so weight for me is not an issue. Ruger only offers a slightly heavier profile than the standard sporter in the Predator line of rifles. Also the aftermarket is flooded with stocks and other accessories for the Savage were the Ruger is still got a little catching up to do although there are some nice stock options now for them. Bottom line, if your looking for a straight up budget rifle that will allow you to get out and shoot with respectable accuracy that wont break the bank, the Ruger is probably the way to go (their Predator line of rifles is very tempting, for the features you get with the price point of the rifle). On the other hand if you don't mind spending a little more, I think you'd be very well served by a Savage. With the price point and proven out of the box accuracy, its hard to debate against their value. Hope this helps!

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    if you don't mind spending a little more, I think you'd be very well served by a Savage. With the price point and proven out of the box accuracy, its hard to debate against their value. Hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing. Built an AR for my son and I as step 1 to start stretching out, with the goal possibly being a hunt out west some day. So for this rifle it would hopefully see a little hunting use. I have pretty much assumed I would be getting a Savage because of its reputation, I was just interested to hear how the ruger compares.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ruger is doing some awesome things with their American line of rifles, IMO they have probably the best "budget bolt gun" out right with the trigger they have an nice accuracy their a great gun. With that being said with the proven reliability and accuracy out of the box with Savage for not really a whole lot more money considering what your getting for it, its hard not to get one.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Got some more shooting done with this rifle over the last couple weeks and with my handload its proven to be quite accurate. Still hard to believe the out of the box accuracy of these rifles. Here are a couple 5 shot groups at 275yrds using a 168gr SMK over 40.1gr of 8208xbr set at 2.210 oal. I think the thing I'm liking about the rifle so far is the consistency I've seen with it. Each time out of the case results and hits are comparable to the last time out.

IMG_20160912_125220_080.jpg

IMG_20160925_130751_470.jpg

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I bought a Savage 10 FCP a few weeks ago so this review has perfect timing. Mine is a older version but has the heavy black accustock, not camo stock. So far, I really like it. I had planned on re-barreling it into a 6.5 creedmoor or a .260 after deer season, but am not as certain about that as I was when I first bought it. Either way, I'll be ready for the next distance shoot at your place because I'm gonna practice using the bi-pod more than just the day before.

Top Bottom