Saudi officials kill journalist, what's the response going to be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    ^^^
    You may be right, may be 100% right. You may be wrong, may be 100% wrong.

I am not challenging anyones opinion or speculation; just voicing my thoughts and opinions. Green card, I heard or read that somewhere.....again, no specific proof. In all fairness, the only solid statement you made was about why he may have been in embassy, all the rest is opinion and speculative - like mine.

My biggest concern with all this is "reliable resources". Journalism, NYT and the FBI do not have a solid record - sketchy at best.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    IMO, the region is gearing up for an Arab - Persian war that will also consume Israel, and by default America and the rest of the world.

It's the Balkans all over again.

Just one man's view of geo-politics.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    IMO, the region is gearing up for an Arab - Persian war that will also consume Israel, and by default America and the rest of the world.

It's the Balkans all over again.

Just one man's view of geo-politics.

I think China could stay out of that one. Well, mostly.

Personally, I see another "proxy" conflict. I used quotes only because Iran and SA have their own militaries and can duke it out without help from Russia/US, but the benefactors will be pretty obvious.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I think China could stay out of that one. Well, mostly.

Personally, I see another "proxy" conflict. I used quotes only because Iran and SA have their own militaries and can duke it out without help from Russia/US, but the benefactors will be pretty obvious.

Russia and the U.S. should be a visible presence only if for nothing else but oil price stability. I don't really think anyone gives a **** about that region except for the oil.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If it wasn't for that pesky audio recording, I would have gone with the suicide story. That is always a winner.

Yeah, sounds a little shaky to me too. But they allegedly have 18 suspects in custody, so it makes for a good appearance of "doing something".

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Well, it's not so confusing, just the joys of tribalism. There doesn't need to be a reason other then that's them not us to justify any evil. Where it gets confusing is when we try to understand them as if they are rational actors outside the bounds of tribalism.

Everyplace on the planet dominated by tribalism is a **** hole.

Yep. It's really this simple:dunno:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If it wasn't for that pesky audio recording, I would have gone with the suicide story. That is always a winner.
    You mean it's not plausible for somebody to commit suicide by dismembering themselves?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Caveat: Logic may have nothing to do with the actors and actions in this

That being said, the most compelling supposition (and it's ALL supposition at this point) I've read is that the people in the consulate were a snatch team tasked with spiriting Khasoggi back to SA for punishment. If they attempted to drug him into unconsciousness, but had no appropriate medical professionals to monitor his vitals, he could have died unintentionally in two ways:

1) Oversedation, his vitals drop to or near zero, and without skilled intervention he dies

2) He is a large man. While attempting to fit him into some kind of box to smuggle his unconscious body out of Turkey the team fails to maintain an airway and he suffers positional asphyxia. He dies

None of this addresses the possession by the team of the tools necessary to dismember a body, if that turns out to be true. Logically, however, it is difficult to believe the purpose of these events was to carry out a blatant murder with no possible deniability. Even Putin-level psychopathy doesn't go there

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Alternative viewpoints on "democracy supporting, freedom-loving" Jamal Khashoggi

https://thefederalist.com/2018/10/19/khashoggi-made-defining-issue-u-s-foreign-policy/
    Why Is Khashoggi Being Made The Defining Issue Of U.S. Foreign Policy?

Why has the media and much of the political establishment made the presumed murder of an Islamist Saudi dissident on Turkish soil a defining issue in American foreign policy?
    Jamal Khashoggi is not a U.S. citizen, despite his past residence in Virginia, nor is he a lover of liberty, despite his criticism of Saudi Arabia’s despotic regime. He previously served that regime as a mouthpiece for, and adviser to, the alleged al-Qaeda-tied Saudi intelligence leader Turki bin Faisal. Khashoggi mourned the death of Osama bin Laden, whom Khashoggi had been granted unusual levels of access for numerous interviews. Khashoggi was also an ardent proponent of political Islam and the Muslim Brotherhood.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...y-hopes-to-gain-from-khashoggis-murder-221609
    What Turkey Hopes to Gain from Khashoggi’s Murder

But it is Turkey’s government, through its officials and its loyal press, that has maintained an ominous, steady drip of information, each leak suggesting that ever-more-gruesome evidence of the murder—and of Saudi involvement—could pop up at any moment. Given that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has secured the loyalty of the security services (by firing or imprisoning anyone suspected of disloyalty) and of the media (by shutting down independent outlets and imprisoning critical journalists), it seems likely that he is personally overseeing Turkey’s response to Khashoggi’s murder. But what’s he after?

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    A lot of people in my social circle are convinced that this is going to start World War III. The argument goes something like this:

China's businesses are overleveraged and are being forced to dump shares to meet their obligations; any stall in growth would see the whole house of cards come down. The citation I keep getting is Dinny McMahon's Great Wall of Debt, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet so take that with a grain of salt.
    Supposedly, it's likely to play out like this. Someone in the West is going to push back against Saudi Arabia in the fallout of this fiasco. The Saudis are going to play the only card they've got and cut off trade, trying to cause another Oil Crisis. China's going to invade to secure their fuel supply and keep their economy from crashing with no survivors, and then the excrement will impact the rotational air circulatory apparatus.

I'm not sure I buy it, (The WWIII part, not the Chinese debt bubble part) but that's the gossip mill for you.

Edit: Bold for emphasis.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A lot of people in my social circle are convinced that this is going to start World War III. The argument goes something like this:

China's businesses are overleveraged and are being forced to dump shares to meet their obligations; any stall in growth would see the whole house of cards come down. The citation I keep getting is Dinny McMahon's Great Wall of Debt, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet so take that with a grain of salt.
    Supposedly, it's likely to play out like this. Someone in the West is going to push back against Saudi Arabia in the fallout of this fiasco. The Saudis are going to play the only card they've got and cut off trade, trying to cause another Oil Crisis. China's going to invade to secure their fuel supply and keep their economy from crashing with no survivors, and then the excrement will impact the rotational air circulatory apparatus.

I'm not sure I buy it, (The WWIII part, not the Chinese debt bubble part) but that's the gossip mill for you.

Edit: Bold for emphasis.
    I think I believe the Saudi's explanation of what happened to Khashoggi more than I believe this hokum.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I think the dead dude was an ahole who's death matters not one iota to the US and the only reason it's been blown up is because he was supposedly a 'journalist'.

Top Bottom