• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I assume it is just like any retail sale but I do want to ask.

I saw gun in a store that also sells new and used guns.

They had a gun marked "consignment" on the price tag.
    I was told they take 10% of the sales price as their fee.
    So the price is really set by the gun owner.

My question is since you are really buying the gun from a private person is sales tax charged on the purchase?

Or is it still considered just a normal retail sale?

Just wondering?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    IC 6-2.5-6-17
    Payment of gross retail tax for consignment sales
    Sec. 17. (a) A retail merchant that is a consignee in a retail transaction shall collect and remit the state gross retail tax on the gross retail income received in a consignment sale.
    (b) The retail merchant shall provide the consignor purchaser an invoice that shows that the state gross retail tax was paid to the retail merchant with a clear notation on the invoice that the item was a consignment sale by the retail merchant on behalf of (insert the name of the seller) to (insert the name of the purchaser).
    As added by P.L.85-2009, SEC.1.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Also, when a person takes in a rifle/pistol to a gun shop to be sold on consignment, the shop pretty much owns the gun. If for some reason it doesn't sell, or the original owner decides they want it back, then they (original owner) will have to complete a 4473 and go thru a background check. At that time, the gun shop returns the ownership of the weapon to the original owner.

If a customer purchases the weapon, then they will will complete a 4473 and go thru a background check.

At least, this is what I was told a few months ago when I had an LGS sell a rifle for me. They added 10% of my asking price as their commission on the sale, and I got the amount I was wanting.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I had a couple of guns on consignment towards the end of last year ( they went unsold) and whenever I went back for them I just showed the original paper work ( kind of a generic form one might make up ) and they pretty much just handed them back over to me. No muss, no fuss.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom