• ...and so much more!
  • TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I’ve several sets of Crescent branded tools. I’ve literally beat the snot out of them and not had to replace a single item. The big set was several hundred dollars and is over 25 years old. Odium a small set to carry in the car on trips.
    It appears to be of similar quality but is only maybe 8 to 10 years old.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Craftsman exists in name only now. Which would explain why the hand tool company suddenly makes shop vacs, snow blowers, string trimmers, push mowers, etc.

For me it backfired. I have no idea who really makes craftsman gas powered tools. So its a no-go for me.
    It's existed in name only since the 1920's when Sears bought the name. Do you have any idea who made the hand tools before they sold it to Stanley?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's existed in name only since the 1920's when Sears bought the name. Do you have any idea who made the hand tools before they sold it to Stanley?
    Well to be fair, Its assumed for anyone not old enough to remember the 1920s, that whomever made them for Sears did quality work. That was my point. For anyone here that remembers, effectively craftsman=sears.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well to be fair, Its assumed for anyone not old enough to remember the 1920s, that whomever made them for Sears did quality work. That was my point. For anyone here that remembers, effectively craftsman=sears.
    Well I'm not quite that old, but yeah they were good tools, I think they used around a half dozen different manufacturers. I still have a couple of them including a 1/2 drive ratchet. I think it's actually stronger than some of the newer 1/2 drive breaker bars. Years ago I used it with a 4 ft pipe as a cheater bar to break loose some rusted lug nuts. I'm almost afraid to use it now because if it somehow does get broken I know the lifetime replacement one will not be of the same quality.

They are supposed to be starting production on USA made hand tools again though.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    I carry a husky set very similar to this one in my small tool bag. The set I have has a sliding handle on the rachet to get you a little more leverage. I can not locate that specific kit but bought it at Hone Depot. Kit is probably 8"x6"
    husky-ratchet-socket-sets-h46pcsts-64_1000.jpg

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I wouldn't say much, I've stripped out a 1\2" drive newer ratchet trying to loosen a stubborn bolt only to then remove it easily with a 40 year old 3/8" drive.

It's not just a tool's failure point, it's also the quality in production. The newer Craftsman tools are not subjected to the same quality control as the older ones, and this is the case with many things nowdays. The socket aren't as polished inside and out, wall thickness has been reduced ect.

One doesn't have to look too far back to see Sears failed the brand, then K-Mart couldn't use the brand to keep themselves on life support and now, as far as I know, Lowe's is the only store selling them and their return policy is horrible on a lifetime guaranteed tool.

After Lowe's has had their fill of the brand not carrying it's own weight, Craftsman will be degraded to an internet brand you'll find on Amazon and ebay. This saddens me because it was America's brand, and was destroyed through corporate greed for higher profit margins. (Remington, Winchester, General Motors, GE ect).

Older Craftsman tools will always have a place in my garage, but when it comes to newer tools, there's way better and less expensive options out there.

Sorry for hijack kickbacked.
    Sears didn't fail Craftsman. Sears was bought out and then purposefully bankrupted, same as Toys R'us, and hundreds of other US companies.

Top Bottom