• ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Boy, 8, shot to death in Mass. gun show accident

WESTFIELD, Mass. – An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.
    The boy lost control of the weapon while firing it Sunday at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, Police Lt. Lawrence Valliere said.
    The boy was with a certified instructor and "was shooting the weapon down range when the force of the weapon made it travel up and back toward his head, where he suffered the injury," a police statement said. Police called it a "self-inflicted accidental shooting."
    The victim was taken to Baystate Medical Center where he died. His name was not released.
    Although the death appears to be an accident, police and the Hampden district attorney's office were investigating, officials said.
    The club said on its Web site that the event, run in conjunction with C.O.P Firearms and Training, is "all legal and fun." People will be allowed to fire weapons at vehicles, pumpkins and other targets, it said.
    Officials with the private club and the firearms group could not be reached for comment. A message left on a club answering machine was not returned. The C.O.P. group's machine clicked off without taking a message.
    The sportsman's club was founded in 1949 and describes itself on its Web site as an organization that promotes "the interest of legal sport with rod, gun, and bow and arrow, both directly and through training."
    It has eight firing ranges as well as archery and fishing facilities located on 375 acres in Westfield, about 100 miles west of Boston.

This will be felt and remembered in the NFA community forever. Just goes to show that accidents happen any time, any place.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I am saddened to read of this primarily for the family. It will be fodder for the Left, certainly, but that is the lesser issue. That this boy was killed is clearly a tragedy, but no law will bring him back nor prevent accidents from happening in the future. Additionally, how many people fired either that same UZI or another gun the same day at that shoot or elsewhere and hurt no one? Percentages count.

Blessings,
    B

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    8-Year Old Dies at Gun Show

I am saddened to read of this primarily for the family. It will be fodder for the Left, certainly, but that is the lesser issue. That this boy was killed is clearly a tragedy, but no law will bring him back nor prevent accidents from happening in the future. Additionally, how many people fired either that same UZI or another gun the same day at that shoot or elsewhere and hurt no one? Percentages count.

Blessings,
    B

Great Point. the Left and the Brady Bunch will go nuts over this.:twocents:

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    If I read right, the boy's father was behind him supporting him as he shot. WOW!!! I hope that none of us ever have to witness/experience something like that. It's truly sad and my prayers are for his family.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    If I read right, the boy's father was behind him supporting him as he shot. WOW!!! I hope that none of us ever have to witness/experience something like that. It's truly sad and my prayers are for his family.

If that were my with my son, I'm not sure how I'd go on. Absolute tragic accident.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Its is very sad to hear... although for me a question is raised. A 8 year old was shooting a Uzi. Dont get me wrong, I grew up shooting guns and will let my 8 year old shoot when I have a child, but an UZI prob. not. I think one must look at the age, and the type of weapon that is involved here. A .22lr ok, but a full auto 9mm weapon which may easily get away from an adult? It was an accident waiting to happen from the start... but you know it just my :twocents: .

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Its is very sad to hear... although for me a question is raised. A 8 year old was shooting a Uzi. Dont get me wrong, I grew up shooting guns and will let my 8 year old shoot when I have a child, but an UZI prob. not. I think one must look at the age, and the type of weapon that is involved here. A .22lr ok, but a full auto 9mm weapon which may easily get away from an adult? It was an accident waiting to happen from the start... but you know it just my :twocents: .

:+1:

I was trying to figure out the best way of saying that, but my thoughts exactly. My nephew that I took to the Mini Appleseed was 9 and he would not be up to an Uzi.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The report I read had it as an NFA day and the full auto uzi climbed up into him.

I have an 8 year old.

I have nothing more to say.

huawilso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    New Castle, In
    This is tragic, I feel for his family and friends, however the Brady Bunch (Sarah Brady) will be using this story before long to persude the LIBERALS in congress that we need harsher gun laws. Lets make it hard for law abiding gun owners so the criminals can still have their guns.:ar15:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Very tragic accident. I want to blame the father and in the end, it is he who is to blame for this as it is his charge to protect his family and he failed miserably, but I just can't bring myself to dog-pile on the father.

sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    i believe that if you are to let a kid shoot a gun make sure it is something that they can control or is just a single shot kinda deal. that been said its one thing to let a kid that age shoot things like a 44mag (note i did this at the age of 8. got a lil bit of a shock and knocked back a bit but nothing bad happened. also note i had been shootin a lot before they gave me that one my favs were the 1911's and the 30-30's) where as something full auto is a lil more risky at that age with the rise of the bbl. if your a lil kid you wont know better unless tought that you use short birsts if you have any trouble controaling the recoil your just thinkin that this is fun. thought i feel for the kids family and this is a horrable thing to happen it should reinforce that a firearm is a weapon and must be treated as such with respect and care.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

It's 20/20 hindsight in this case, but perhaps someone else allowing their kid to shoot like this will know to put their own hand or a wooden support or something above the gun to prevent muzzle climb from doing this. No one could have predicted it or prevented it, though the Bradys and VPC and the like will claim it was preventable, probably by dragging out their favorite "if it saves just one child..."

There has got to be a special place in hell for those who so intentionally disregard the freedoms for which our Founders fought and died, who would reduce everyone to the lowest common denominator, solely because of their own insecurities. I hate what they do.

Blessings,
    B

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Threads merged....
    Look at you. Guess I've been asleep at the wheel while VUPDblue became a moderator. Congrats sir!

Back to the issue.

Sorry this is cold to say, but people screwed up here. They not only neglected their responsibilities setting up a boy to kill himself. They hurt us all. They should be prosecuted. If allowed to walk away from this "tragic accident," it paints us all as the same mind numb idiots.

I know three people whose watch this would have and could have never happened under. You do too.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    None of us can undo anything here. We can only learn and remember.

Those among us who are RSO's - remember every time a parent pushes for something beyond what is normally accepted. Line Instructors - remember that there is a difference what a kid is able to do, not what his father wants him to be able to do. And all of us, remember that every person at a shoot is a safety officer. You see something scary, bring it to a line officer, RSO, or anyone running the show. They will take it from there.

Shooting sports cannot survive accidents. Families cannot survive accidents. None of us can.

Lord help that family and all who witnessed this tragedy.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    When I first read this story, I damn near got sick. I have a 9 year old boy that loves to shot. It reminded me of the strict regiment we go through every time we shoot. Tragic this accident was.....but avoidable, I don't like saying that either. The article I read said was father behind him and "certified instructor" was present. What a terrible burden these 2 men have to carry with the rest of their lives. I don't know...it just makes me sick. I have said before on this that I was a primary marksmanship instructor in the corps. Even with grown men, the first time they shot a pistol it was with an instructor, one arm behind the shooter, the other arm on top of both arms of the shooter. An adult should have had control of that weapon with at least a hand on top. I would have both my hands on it the first time. May we all learn form this hard lesson.

Top Bottom