• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I would say generally yes , but as always depends on the gun. Aesthetics also play a factor, a lot of times performance center guns will have desirable features like a slab sided barrel or unfluted cylinders. The 586 L-Comp would be a good example of a fantastic PC revolver IMHO

Now this will rustle some feathers but I would steer clear of the Performance Center Semi Autos their shield line is just sad.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a few PC revolvers. As long as you know upfront, you are getting an appearance package and not expecting a trigger job, they are nice guns. The triggers on 2 of mine have been addressed by BossHoss and there will be more to follow those. His trigger work makes the PC package complete.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Like DocIndy said they are a appearance package.
    I have been inside of 100's Of PC guns and NEVER seen any extra trigger work than a standard S&W revolver.
    They do usually have a Wolff ribbed main spring and a slightly lighter rebound spring but no stoning or polishing done.
    One thing about PC revolvers is while you pay more up front than a standard revolver they are also worth more on the back end if/when you sale it.
    If you find one you like the looks of go for it they still have decent triggers, just don't expect a trigger job out of the box.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    A standard Smith revolver will take you to any skill set that requires a custom gun. When you can out shoot a good production gun, you will know when to add custom fearures.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Depends. If you have impeccable tastes like Dean and the budget, go for it. Aesthetics are important.

For me, I have always stuck with the "standard" fare and worked on them accordingly to get them where I wanted.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Depends. If you have impeccable tastes like Dean and the budget, go for it. Aesthetics are important.

For me, I have always stuck with the "standard" fare and worked on them accordingly to get them where I wanted.
    Yep a stock S&W revolver slicks up just as good as a PC gun. Can tell no difference when shooting.
    Some of the PC guns look good though.
    Like I said though some of the PC guns will sell way faster and for more money than a standard revolver.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have many S&W revolvers. Some of them are from the PC. I did not choose them because they were PC, I chose them for certain features. For instance, I chose the PC version of the 8-shot 627 because of the 5" barrel. The standard 627 has a 4" barrel. I never cared for the 4" S&W revolvers. I do think that the 5" N-frames are about the best ballanced revolvers and I have more than a few in 5".

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    A standard Smith revolver will take you to any skill set that requires a custom gun. When you can out shoot a good production gun, you will know when to add custom fearures.
    I have had the honor of shooting with the best revolver shooters in the world and never heard any of them say they could outshoot a stock S&W revolver.
    Some disciplines need specialized equipment like NRA action with barricade wings and grips for prone shooting.
    Some want heavy or lighter barrels for various reasons.
    But for competition IDPA, USPSA, STEEL CHALLENGE, ICORE I don't believe anyone can outshoot a stock gun.
    A trigger job helps but the best revolver shooters it doesn't matter that much the trigger weight but how smooth is Way more important IMO.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have had the honor of shooting with the best revolver shooters in the world and never heard any of them say they could outshoot a stock S&W revolver.
    Some disciplines need specialized equipment like NRA action with barricade wings and grips for prone shooting.
    Some want heavy or lighter barrels for various reasons.
    But for competition IDPA, USPSA, STEEL CHALLENGE, ICORE I don't believe anyone can outshoot a stock gun.
    A trigger job helps but the best revolver shooters it doesn't matter that much the trigger weight but how smooth is Way more important IMO.
    Exactly. Until it comes to IHMSA or Bullseye Revolver Division. To be in the running, a skill set makes the most difference but every ounce of accuracy will often make the difference between Master skill sets. Be it Custom cut barrels, different grips, blueprinted chambers and custom ammo along with a predictable smooth consistent action along with better sight options than a standard revolver offers. IMO.

Top Bottom