Ruger SR1911 Government Size 5” 45ACP: BUY??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I remember the Sig 1911-22. I'm glad I didn't try any harder to get it apart, otherwise it would have looked like I broke your gun.

1. Ah! Gunner, my friend! That was a wonderful evening of brew, pizza and gun cleaning: you helped take the mystic out of taking the guns apart.
    2. Although, I once took one of my little Beretta tip-ups apart, and it took me a bit to get the slide back on correctly b/c of little tiny "wires" or part of a spring that had to be just right: scary for me. :ugh:
    3. Believe me, you wouldn't have broke it unless your fingers are stronger than metal b/c they had to cut the guide rod out it was so stuck.

Kenxq5471

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2017
    Carmel
    Try Buds Gun Shop on the internet. I bought my Ruger Commander 1911 for $680 and it is the best handgun I have ever owned. It is all I want to shoot and I have a lot of handguns.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I have bought from buds. They have some good deals for sure. They have a big list of local ffl guys to seek out for yer transfer. Their website can be annoying at times tho, heh.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The $600 Ruger SR 1911 that I found and sent 2 emails: he had sold it a month ago and didn't know why it was still on Armslist.

On another subject, I'm meeting an INGO memeber at Greenwood this afternoon after work to fire a Dan Wesson and Ruger 1911 that he has.
    I'm exited and looking forward to it: the first time someone has mentioned (out of 3 times) getting together and it really took place.
    I'm taking my Shield 9mm and 45acp since he hasn't shot those.

Also taking my "new" Beretta Neos to compare to my S/W M/P Compact 22.
    My new INGO friend wants to try the Compact 22 out as well.

Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    My grandson is looking at sr1911's. Found one on armslist that he inquired about. It was pictured so that the serial # was visible when image was enlarged. I told him to call the #'s in to check. Found out it was a stolen gun out of Indy. Just beware....

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My grandson is looking at sr1911's. Found one on armslist that he inquired about. It was pictured so that the serial # was visible when image was enlarged. I told him to call the #'s in to check. Found out it was a stolen gun out of Indy. Just beware....

1. Unbelievable! I don't think I've ever dealt with anyone much younger than myself, so maybe I've avoided the professional thieves out there.
    2. It does give one pause.
    3. I had a youngling try to buy from me w/o a permit once and I told him he needed to get that if he was going to buy off 99% of people; he asked why and I told him it was a safety measure protecting the seller.

4. How/Where do you call to check on serial numbers: I like that idea.
    5. I can imagine the seller backtracking quickly if you ask them to read it off to you (probably invert a number).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Did you report this to anyone...???

Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    My SIL is a cop, asked him to run numbers for me. I would think that the police dept would be happy to run them for you. How else can you protect yourself from the low lives selling stolen items.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I still can't take my eyes off the $700 Ruger SR1911 that Hoosier Armory has but I know they won't come down to that $500 mark that Marksman Shooting Sports had going last Saturday, $600 possibly: but after firing gmcttr's Ruger and Dan Wesson, the Wesson spoiled me, and there is one available for $1000, but I'm not going there at this point.
    I would have to trim down and make some hard decisions before I put that kind of change into 1 piece, but I would like to grow into that perhaps.
    My best friend (lives out of state) has a few special handguns he has picked up over the years that are all the top tier more expensive ones (by my standards) that he has bought when friends were having a "fire sale."
    He is mostly a hunter with lovely rifles, though.
    He's the one when he was visiting and I showed him what I had and he wanted to buy a few of them and I told him I wasn't going to show him my guns if he didn't stop it. :laugh:
    He thought he could snap up my guns for what I paid for them. The type of long-time friend you owe much to and would sell with no profit involved.
    He told me to put a price on them and I told him if I did that he could go buy them anywhere (since I wasn't ready to sell any of what I had at that point: some Smiths, Walthers, Sig Sauers and the like.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I still can't take my eyes off the $700 Ruger SR1911 that Hoosier Armory has but I know they won't come down to that $500 mark that Marksman Shooting Sports had going last Saturday, $600 possibly: but after firing gmcttr's Ruger and Dan Wesson, the Wesson spoiled me, and there is one available for $1000, but I'm not going there at this point.
    I would have to trim down and make some hard decisions before I put that kind of change into 1 piece, but I would like to grow into that perhaps.
    My best friend (lives out of state) has a few special handguns he has picked up over the years that are all the top tier more expensive ones (by my standards) that he has bought when friends were having a "fire sale."
    He is mostly a hunter with lovely rifles, though.
    He's the one when he was visiting and I showed him what I had and he wanted to buy a few of them and I told him I wasn't going to show him my guns if he didn't stop it. :laugh:
    He thought he could snap up my guns for what I paid for them. The type of long-time friend you owe much to and would sell with no profit involved.
    He told me to put a price on them and I told him if I did that he could go buy them anywhere (since I wasn't ready to sell any of what I had at that point: some Smiths, Walthers, Sig Sauers and the like.

This is one reason I started modifying my 1911's. For years I was happy just running them as they came from the factory.
    They do tend to smooth out with rounds fired. Then a buddy put one in my hands that had been through a local smiths shop. OMG what a world of difference.
    So finding a $500 dollar piece that is not beat down and doing about $300 in parts or there abouts will bring it up very close to running like a $1200 piece just not finished out as well. Add a barrel and you are off to the races.
    Doing this puts you in the same price point as the $1200 gun but it is specific to you and your desires. Resale value on a hot rod is limited as to who/whom you are selling it to. I realize I am upside down in most all of mine as to invested moneys verses return but hey, I built them. I love them and they run all day long.

I would never expect you to jump into this. It scares many. It is not for everyone.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is one reason I started modifying my 1911's. For years I was happy just running them as they came from the factory.
    They do tend to smooth out with rounds fired. Then a buddy put one in my hands that had been through a local smiths shop. OMG what a world of difference.
    So finding a $500 dollar piece that is not beat down and doing about $300 in parts or there abouts will bring it up very close to running like a $1200 piece just not finished out as well. Add a barrel and you are off to the races.
    Doing this puts you in the same price point as the $1200 gun but it is specific to you and your desires. Resale value on a hot rod is limited as to who/whom you are selling it to. I realize I am upside down in most all of mine as to invested moneys verses return but hey, I built them. I love them and they run all day long.

I would never expect you to jump into this. It scares many. It is not for everyone.

1. Churchmouse, I can't say how much I enjoy your comments and insights.
    2. You are so dead-on with things you say and they resonate with me.
    3. Believe me, your "hot rod" comment was a great analogy, having owned 6 antique cars (at the same time) in another lifetime.
    4. I can't imagine getting to a level of nuance where I had to replace a barrel to be happy, a trigger, maybe. :laugh:
    5. Updating for a stainless guide rod and spring totally understandable for a gun for long-term ownership: :dunno: just shows you I have grown a little, but slowly: I didn't know what a guide rod was 9 months ago (mostly a revolver guy back in my youth).
    6. I'm still in the "happy for years how they came from the factory" stage.
    7. In fact, I might have moved on to the next thing before I die before I get to that stage (took me 7-8 yrs. to get through my sports car club phase).
    Retirement will chill me out b/c I won't have the $$ flow, the discretionary income for range time and ammo, and forget buying more guns. (ammo I can store up while working though, ha!, but the $35/mo. range fees could get up higher, I'm sure.
    Don't feel sorry for me, I will have money for the bills (until inflation kicks in and doubles the price of everything). :laugh:

8. By the way, I'm a "not reinvent the wheel" type of guy, when it comes to buying houses or cars.
    I'd rather buy another house than remodel the one I have, or buy a car that comes with the hardtop included and pay more upfront rather than do so later.
    Translation: the $1000 Dan Wesson would be the direction I would go rather than jazz up a $600-$700 Ruger.
    But, I could be wrong. We'll talk in another 10 yrs and revisit this. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am seeing some inflation right now. You ill find that getting another revenue stream in some fashion is helpful as I am semi-retired. I will be going in to work (pasrt time position) here shortly and I have some other for profit things to do in my shop. Pays for the expensive hobby/passion.....:):

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    1. Unbelievable! I don't think I've ever dealt with anyone much younger than myself, so maybe I've avoided the professional thieves out there.
    2. It does give one pause.
    3. I had a youngling try to buy from me w/o a permit once and I told him he needed to get that if he was going to buy off 99% of people; he asked why and I told him it was a safety measure protecting the seller.

4. How/Where do you call to check on serial numbers: I like that idea.
    5. I can imagine the seller backtracking quickly if you ask them to read it off to you (probably invert a number).

You can look on hotgunz.com Not many people know about that website, I like to refresh it from time to time when the situation arises.
    If you ever have one stolen, of course a police report, and then list the info hotgunz.com as well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am seeing some inflation right now. You ill find that getting another revenue stream in some fashion is helpful as I am semi-retired. I will be going in to work (pasrt time position) here shortly and I have some other for profit things to do in my shop. Pays for the expensive hobby/passion.....:):

1. I have the kind of job now that I would just keep it I was able to work part-time.
    2. I have only 30-50 students per day instead of 240 since I work in an Alternative Education setting now.

3. Do you work out of your home or have a shop?
    4. Do you work on anything? Do you charge by the hour or an upfront price to do repair work or upgrades?
    5. Good to know someone I would trust, if I buy a used gun and need help with it.
    6. I'm betting that the Taurus PT22 stainless that I bought and the owner sent it back with the trigger/hammer issue is a quick fix with some small piece broken or out of adjustment.
    7. Feel free to pm me to talk if you don't want to appear mercenary posting here (not bother me in the least).
    In fact, I'll pm you my cell if you'd rather talk instead of typing: just ignore it if you'd rather do it online.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom