• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    Does anyone here have any experience with the Ruger Max 9? I'm in the market for an optics ready polymer 9mm and have been considering the Hellcat PRO, one of the varieties of the Sig P365 or the S&W Shield. But the Ruger has some of the same features I'm looking for and is a lot less expensive. I'm wondering how it compares to the other pistols I'm considering.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Does anyone here have any experience with the Ruger Max 9? I'm in the market for an optics ready polymer 9mm and have been considering the Hellcat PRO, one of the varieties of the Sig P365 or the S&W Shield. But the Ruger has some of the same features I'm looking for and is a lot less expensive. I'm wondering how it compares to the other pistols I'm considering.

$354

Check out the Taurus GX4 Toro.
    This is the fancier one you can get less expensive optics ready version as well.
    Just giving you one more option in the micro 9's to check out. For more information ask @zachcz About them.
    1683017262796.png

$299

Last edited:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    If you do not have access to comparing handguns in person (always best), try this website. It gives a great side-by-side comparison. Also, I have heard good things about the new Taurus semi-autos. The GX4 is a good one to look at. I have the Sig 365. The GX4 is close in size, but a good less expensive alternative.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    Thank you both. I wasn't looking at the Taurus, but now it's in the mix for me as well.
    Edit - Wow, that GX4 can be had for a song! Is there any easy way to see (either on Handgun Hero or some other source) if the iron sites can be co-witnessed through the red dot? That's one of my requirements for my next carry pistol, and I have a hard time finding that info when researching.

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I've got a Max 9 Pro. About 600 rounds through it with no issues. Small enough to pocket carry in larger pockets like my Duluth work pants.

The biggest negative for most people is the take down. There is a pin that has to be removed during disassembly. The sliding door that retains that pin failed in some early models.

Here is a video overview of some of the guns in this category:

Good luck on your search

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    I've got a Max 9 Pro. About 600 rounds through it with no issues. Small enough to pocket carry in larger pockets like my Duluth work pants.

The biggest negative for most people is the take down. There is a pin that has to be removed during disassembly. The sliding door that retains that pin failed in some early models.

Here is a video overview of some of the guns in this category:

Good luck on your search

Much appreciated! Do you happen to have a red dot on your Max 9 or know if the iron sites can still be used with the red dot installed?

Top Bottom