Ruger is proud to announce the release of the Marlin Model 336 Classic. Chambered in .30-30 Win.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I bought a Winchester M94 and Marlin 336 for $250 at Galyan's in undergrad (bought off guy in Marine Accessories so no employee discount).

I still have the Winchester, lol.
    Galyans in Westfield. Man I loved their gun dept. I miss that store. It was a definite stop there whenever we went down to Indy on 31 south.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    My thoughts exactly...and also my experience. And you know for all the hate that the Remlins got online, my 1895G in .45-70 and 1894C in .45 Colt are just as nice as my other Marlins, JM stamped or otherwise. That .45 Colt is the most accurate levergun I own.

I'm glad Ruger revived the brand, but sad that they're turning it into a boutique toy for Instagrammers instead of the quality, affordable, utilitarian tool of it's roots.
    Yep I turned over my Marlin Fleet to Post 2017 Remlins because of the new tooling , CNC machines and training that Remington invested. It was too little too late due to the the terrible transition of an already bad product line of the late JM guns. My new ones are all better than any Marlin I’ve had in 50 years.

Jury will be out on Rulins as I’m sure there will be sandcast internals.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Don't get me wrong...I have some really nice old JM guns, too, but the differences aren't as pronounced as the internet wants everybody to believe.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yep I turned over my Marlin Fleet to Post 2017 Remlins because of the new tooling , CNC machines and training that Remington invested. It was too little too late due to the the terrible transition of an already bad product line of the late JM guns. My new ones are all better than any Marlin I’ve had in 50 years.

Jury will be out on Rulins as I’m sure there will be sandcast internals.
    I also have a Remlin 1895 in .45-70gvt and another in .35 Remington and both are just as nice and accurate as my JM stamped 1894 .44 mag.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Much as l'd like to keep my chances of winning high, I feel I need to share for those who may not have heard.
    Davison's Gallery of Guns giveaway this month is for a beautiful new Ruger Marlin SBL1895 in .45-70 gvt.

I've got my entry in...

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have read that the post '17 Remlins are pretty good but have not laid my paws on any. Most of mine are pre 70's. The Cowboy versions of the later original Marlins are good. Now if I would win a 45-70 it would make me happy, happy, happy.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    These were selling for well under $500 no longer than 5 years ago. I was excited to see Ruger pick up the Marlin brand at first but now am very disappointed to see the direction they are taking.
    It's been more than 5 years and more than a few of those $500 Marlins(.44 mags in particular) did well to shoot minute of basketball. Quality costs, especially now when $500 won't even buy a new POS American.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    The marlin 336W was the first rifle I ever bought legally. I bought it in 2000 at Walmart. My grandpa had a 336 that he bought in the early 60’s. When he passed away my uncle took it. I saved and waited for a few months before I turned 18 and got myself one. I’m wanting to say it was $269.99 or $289.99. When I got him my dad laughed and said he always wanted a Winchester 94. In 2015 I found him a very nice 94 that was manufactured in 1969 the year after he graduated high school.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Sticker shock? Yes. But it is still a nice looking blued steel and walnut classic lever gun in .30-30.
    Long live the lever gun! :bow:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Kudos to Ruger for reviving Marlin. I’ve recently acquired a new Marlin 1894 in .357 magnum. It is very well built and it’s fit and finish is as good or better that older JM Marlins. It shoots incredibly well and is a pleasure to shoot. I’m sure the 336 will be no less of a nice lever action firearm. :ingo:

arty8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Kudos to Ruger for reviving Marlin. I’ve recently acquired a new Marlin 1894 in .357 magnum. It is very well built and it’s fit and finish is as good or better that older JM Marlins. It shoots incredibly well and is a pleasure to shoot. I’m sure the 336 will be no less of a nice lever action firearm. :ingo:
    Ever since Bill Wilson died, Ruger has been on a roll, in several cases, they invented a market segment (straight wall cartridges in the midwest) or introduced new products.

Top Bottom