• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    What I'm wondering about is the quality of the newer version vice the older version. It could just be me and my imagination. But I own the newer version and have shot several of the older version guns, I wonder if the only thing that changed really was just the grips, just cosmetic?

Not sure what you mean by "quality." If you mean he quality or hadness of the steel used for the actual trigger component parts, I do not believe there has been a change in quality. If you mean that the product, as it is shipped by Ruger, is rougher and less finished, thus leading to a less smooth trigger, that has not been my experience over the 20 years I have been purchasing Ruger double action revolvers.

I'd venture to guess that the older GP100s seem smoother because they have been shot more. Shooting the GP100 will cause the parts to wear which smooths up the action. I believe all firearms share this trait.

For a very user friendly (i.e., even jmb79 who is quite the inept klutz can do it) guide to giving your GP100 a trigger job, I suggest downloading the GP100 IBOK by Iowa Gun. IBOKs are documents written by a retired gunsmith about certain firearms, including the GP100. They are available on another forum (rugerforum dot net) if you are a member and have made 10 posts to that forum.

I downloaded the GP100 version a few years ago and it provides a clear, easy to follow guide to smoothing the GP100 trigger, with pictures. If you're not a member of rugerform.net or don't want the hassle, I may be able to e-mail a copy to you if you're interested. Please send me a PM with your e-mail if you want a copy.

Last edited:

ELMO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Just wanted to say that I own two of these revolvers and they are great. I did spring jobs on them using Wilson Combat springs. The trigger pull is just fine for me. Also what jmb79 says about GP100 IBOK is really good information about the GP100... :cool:

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009

I don't have the best camera in the world, but here ya go.....:)

100_3700-1.jpg

100_3701-1.jpg

Last edited:

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    I have had 2 of these, 4" .357 GP 100...It's a good gun, just not for me...I much prefer my 686 S&W over it any day! But like i said its my preference. :)

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    Good memories...

:) It's the first pistol I really "shot". I got a little training from a marksman and WOW it is a fun gun. My trigger was hard to grisp but I'm glad I kept it!

Top Bottom