Ruger Blackhawk - premium for 3-screw model?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I have been hankering for a single action .357, and the Ruger Blackhawk is on the top of my list. I recently found a used 3-screw old model and it is priced the same as a brand new new model - in the same store. I am not really the collector type, and I plan to use this revolver for targets and hunting. A decent used revolver is fine with me. My question: What is the usual (or average) price difference between a 3-screw and the new models? I guess I want to know if I should keep looking for a used new model if it will save me $100 or more versus an old 3-screw version.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Big question...has the 3-screw been converted or not? IMO, a converted 3-screw is less desirable than a new model. An unconverted 3-screw, I'd probably be willing to pay $100 more for, just for the 4 clicks and the cool factor. But like you, I'm more of a shooter than a collector, so I'm not going to pay a huge premium just for collector value.

The only exception to the above is if I were planning to use the gun for carry...like for hiking out west or something. In that case, the ability to carry 6 safely in the new model with a transfer bar trumps the cool factor of a 3-screw 5-shooter.

I have one of each, and am very happy with both.

ETA: These days, shopping around is kind of a dangerous proposition. There's not much out there, and prices are kind of crazy. If you have what you want right in front of you at a fair price, I'd grab it. I've lost out on a bunch of deals lately by waiting.

Last edited:

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Thanks for that response. What you said pretty much matches my own thinking. It was a non-converted model, so for hunting that might be a drawback since I should only load 5 rounds. Not a big penalty, as I hope I would never need 6 shots at a deer :-)

I think I will wait a while and see if I can find a new model. The price should be about $100 to $150 less, based on what I found on GunBroker. And maybe the pandemic inflation will back off a bit in the next 6 months? But for $650, this particular revolver was a bit out of my price range.

Now if I do not see anything comparable soon, and I miss out on ever finding another one for several years, I will kick my cheap a**.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Yeah, $650 is a bit high. I'd pay that for a stainless convertible, but probably not for a used blued .357.

I'm not sure where you're located, but you might try giving 2 Bear Arms in Etna Green a call. They do cowboy action shooting out there, and tend to move quite a few used single-action revolvers through their shop. Like anything else, prices have gone up a bit in recent months, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Good news is, SA revolvers are probably not at the top of anybody's ban list, so if you have to wait out the current stupidity to find an acceptable deal, they'll still be available.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Clean model BN36 Blackhawk in .357 Mag with 6.5" barrel from about 1978. Excellent condition. $525

This is on one of the Ruger Forms.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Old Blackhawks unchanged will always command a premium. Finding a new model shouldn't be a problem and they are great guns for the reloader.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    The frequently demand a premium. It's not uncommon for a nice 3 screw to go for 100 or more for a like condition New model.

That being said, it is not uncommon to find one at the same or even lower price. Some sellers don't know the difference. It's always worth browsing the tables at a gun show.

Me, I like the extra clicks and don't fear the difference in function and perceived safety.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    When they put in the safety conversion they gave back the old parts so you could restore them to original.

3 screws typically fetch more, but they IIRC have a smaller frame. And on Blackhawks is alloy.

New Models are the larger frame and you can swap them to Dragoon Super Blackhawk style if you want.

Condition is everything to collectors, so its gotta be clean, maybe no prefix on serial number, box n papers etc. Flattops command more.

That "doesn't matter" and you can find em at same price as New Models...........where in the hell you shopping? Yeah a lot of collectors are dying and old stuff is popping up..........but anybody with half a brain and into Rugers knows what the old ones are worth.

Problem is........some folks think they are worth way more than they are.

Personally, I think they look better, the 3 screws. You can buy fake screws to make a New Model look like an Old Model..........but then you only have 2 of the fake screws. And you don't have the click in feel when cocking, and.........when you pop the loading gate you freespin on a NM, can't roll it back to lock/line up like an OM.

OM for the win, load one skip one load four more :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    For an all arounder I think a Stainless New Model, 4 5/8" .357 w Dragoon frame and hammer swap to be a super cool rig. Frames last I heard were $150 and were oversize. And that was some time back.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Clean Old Model 6.5" .357 prefix guns, no box or papers, run around 600 and don't exactly fly off the shelf at that price. Seen two like that in the last month or so.

Top Bottom