• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w2k0311

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Wanamaker
    I have this ruger that was stovepipeing every few rounds after being bought NIB from GM. Gun was taken apart to clean and put back together. Obviously there was something wrong with the reassembly as now it will no function nor will it release to come back apart. Any ruger smith's out there willing to take a shot. I have had this thing for a year needing repaired. Thanks all

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    My younger brother had some FTF issues with his Mark III when he initially got it. If you do a bit of searching, I want to say it was a magazine disconnect issue. I can't recall if removing the mag disconnect was the trick that fixed it, but I think some Googling will lead you to the promised land. Tell you what - once you get it sorted out, it's just a wonderfully fun gun to plink with!

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I just sent mine back to the factory for similar causes. Call their customer service and describe the problem, they will give you shipping instructions and will prepay the shipping.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had that happen multiple times with my mkIII when reassembling. You skipped a step. My guess would be sear rotated on you. Strip it down and start over (check sear for proper position). Follow the reassembly instructions in the manual. Look into a mkII bushing mod, and it will make the process much easier.

ETA: If the stovepiping occurred before the gun had been cleaned, I would blame the sticky factory lube/ protectant. I run my ruger Mk pistols with a very light coat of oil on the bolt. Too much can make it sticky, particularly when new. My guess is a good cleaning and more shooting will take care of the problem.

Last edited:

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    DEFINITELY get that bushing. Tandemkross is in mine. Best $15 I've spent in a while. More reliable, eliminates needing to insert magazine however many times for field stripping, and the magazine drops free for reloads (like a real gun).

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    If I read your post right it sounds that firearm is not stuck so you can not disassemble. I can help you out. I have taken care of several Ruger MK series issues for Ingoer's in the past. Just LMK.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've had that happen multiple times with my mkIII when reassembling. You skipped a step. My guess would be sear rotated on you. Strip it down and start over (check sear for proper position). Follow the reassembly instructions in the manual. Look into a mkII bushing mod, and it will make the process much easier.

ETA: If the stovepiping occurred before the gun had been cleaned, I would blame the sticky factory lube/ protectant. I run my ruger Mk pistols with a very light coat of oil on the bolt. Too much can make it sticky, particularly when new. My guess is a good cleaning and more shooting will take care of the problem.

I had the same problem just after I bought mine. I cleaned and re-lubed and it worked fine. Also, as others have said, get the Tandemcross bushing. I paid much less than $15 though. :)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    No doubt the hammer strut is not in the right position. As meantioned Youtube is your friend. Take the offer of help on reassembly. Once you have done it a few times it really is no big deal. When looking at video's look for ones for the Mark III. The Mag drop safety changes things a smidgen. The hammer will not fall forward without a nudge. I use the hammer strut pin to push it. Man up. No need to modify JMHO. Practice makes perfect. You'll get it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No doubt the hammer strut is not in the right position. As meantioned Youtube is your friend. Take the offer of help on reassembly. Once you have done it a few times it really is no big deal. When looking at video's look for ones for the Mark III. The Mag drop safety changes things a smidgen. The hammer will not fall forward without a nudge. I use the hammer strut pin to push it. Man up. No need to modify JMHO. Practice makes perfect. You'll get it.

No need to modify to get it functional again, but the primary benefit of the Tandemkross bushing is mag insertion/release and allowing the gun to fire with no magazine. The fact that it also makes assembly/disassembly a tad less complicated is a side benefit.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I have this ruger that was stovepipeing every few rounds after being bought NIB from GM. Gun was taken apart to clean and put back together. Obviously there was something wrong with the reassembly as now it will no function nor will it release to come back apart. Any ruger smith's out there willing to take a shot. I have had this thing for a year needing repaired. Thanks all

For the original stovepipeing problem im guessing you are using bulk ammo, either keep at or use something hotter like cci minimag till it breaks in eventually it will eat anything.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been lucky. I have shot nothing but Federal 550 bulk pack out of mine. I clean it about every other range trip. It has ran flawless on cheap ammo. I probably have 8-10k rounds threw mine. It's about 4 years old.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Mine was giving me fits today. I'm guessing a couple thousand suppressed rounds had something to do with it. It was NASTY!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have been lucky. I have shot nothing but Federal 550 bulk pack out of mine. I clean it about every other range trip. It has ran flawless on cheap ammo. I probably have 8-10k rounds threw mine. It's about 4 years old.

Last time at the range shooting Federal bulk, I wanted to throw mine.

I bought my 22/45 lite a little over a year ago and I probably have close to 2K rounds through it now. Because of the difficulty getting ammo I shoot whatever I can find, Winchester bulk, Remington golden, Federal match, Blazer match, mini-mags, CCI standard velocity. They've all ran pretty well. I've not seen Federal bulk to buy since I've had my 22/45 until recently, so before my last range trip with it, I had never used it in that gun.

I had a crappy time with ejection issues. I had some Blazer match ammo in my bag so I ran a few mags of it, all of which fired and ejected flawlessly. Went back to the Federal bulk and nearly every round had ejection issues. Ran the federal bulk through my Ruger SR22, and they mostly ran okay; no worse than Federal bulk ever runs in my SR22.

I don't do a detailed cleaning after every range trip on the 22/45, so it's not pristine, but it's not all that bad either. I'm not sure why the 22/45 doesn't like the Federal bulk.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I don't know? I have a buddy with the same III. Bought at the same time as mine and he shoots the same. And a buddy with a II that shoot Fed too. Maybe it's beacuse I keep it clean? I keep them all clean. It doesn't take that much time really. I do it and watch TV for something to do. I can say honestly say I don't have a troublesome gun. Except my AR doesn't like Steel ammo. That's not an issue for me. I have about 10k rounds of brass ammo and I reload it.

Top Bottom