• deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    HVjId0Dm.jpg
    Ok, lets give this a try. First impressions-pretty,clean lines, slide fit-meh-not as good as some, better than others. Hefty feel. Onto the guts...Uh Ruger did you forget to polish anything? The MIM parts are atrocious. Stripped everything down, stoned and polished, serviceable now (if the range trip tomorrow deems it worthy, it'll receive new guts). Lock up seems tight. Stuck some VZ grips on that I had laying around.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    u4piJPvm.jpg
    Beefy! Sorry, can't figure out how to put more than one pic at a time. To continue, the controls are very positive. The sights nice but the front will get replaced with a Dawson fiber. Rainy today, so she won't get a good beating till tomorrow.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I mentioned my opinions of the Ruger in your other thread this is why. MIM, mediocre fit etc. They are OK for the price point. I have owned a few. Will own another I am sure. I dump most everything and just get silly.

Interested in how it runs for you.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    GVxiWm3l.jpg
    15 Yards, Underwood 155 gr, 1500 fps. Standing offhand. Opened up a bit from the Sig ammo but think it was more me not doing my part

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Now on to the good stuff. Wow!!!! What have I been missing??? The 1500fps!!! Im in love! Selling my kidneys for more ammo (need to try the hotter stuff soon). Went thru 100rds of the Sig and 100 ads of the Underwood. Stopped shooting paper after those pics and went up the hill to my normal setup. Have steel targets at 30, 40 and 60 yds (12" torso). Rang them consistently as long as I concentrated on the business at hand. Even rang the 8" popper at 70 yds a couple of times. The sights- rear sight works great-a few clicks here and there and tada. Very positive clicks, well made. The front sight-its gotta go-my old eyes have a hard time with it. Dawson fiber goes on tomorrow. Ive spent most of my shooting life with S & W long barrel 44 mags, hunting , target shooting and loved it. But a few years ago had to have my Lab put down and it took it out of me-no more hunting, just couldn't do it. Moved on to other firearms and finally returned to the 1911 like I used in the Army. And now I think Ive found the best of both worlds! The cartridge is great, recoil familiar and decent accuracy. Im a thinking there might be a custom 10mm in my future!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Once I settled in to the Underwood I quickly forgot about the Sig ammo.

You can not beat this system. The caliber and the platform. Great place to start also. I hope the gun holds up well under the load. You may want to consider a buffer on the recoil system if you continue with the Underwood.

Sorry to hear about your dog.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Oh yeah, switched between stock ruger mags and Wilson mags. Had no problems with either

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    You can not beat this system. The caliber and the platform. Great place to start also. I hope the gun holds up well under the load. You may want to consider a buffer on the recoil system if you continue with the Underwood.

Sorry to hear about your dog.
    Got some buffers laying around, may just do that. And thank you, Dakota was best friend.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh yeah, switched between stock ruger mags and Wilson mags. Had no problems with either

I have found you can run .45 ACP mags with the 10mm and for the most part they are trouble free. I do it in my Bobtail all the time. Commander length.
    You want to smile just run some 1500 Underwood through that one.....:)

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I have found you can run .45 ACP mags with the 10mm and for the most part they are trouble free. I do it in my Bobtail all the time. Commander length.
    You want to smile just run some 1500 Underwood through that one.....:)

I agree with all the above. I use 45acp mags in both my 10mm 1911's for target shooting with no issues.
    And yes, the Underwood's in my commander size 10 puts a big smile on ones face. I don't shoot them out of it often but, when I do.... oh yea!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree with all the above. I use 45acp mags in both my 10mm 1911's for target shooting with no issues.
    And yes, the Underwood's in my commander size 10 puts a big smile on ones face. I don't shoot them out of it often but, when I do.... oh yea!

This will put a smile on your mug.........:)

ShCO8m9.jpg

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Am i the only one that can't see the pictures, or am I mistaken and there are none? Lol I almost held the delta elite at my lgs yesterday, whew! He has 10mm for $19.99 a box, I thought wow!

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Here is what Ruger had to say about hot ammo.

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
    Your Customer Service Issue # is 10040055
    Our 10mm was tested with multiple types and brands of ammo with no adverse affects observed. Many pistols were fired in endurance tests and parts analyzed for defects afterwards. Again, no defects were observed. As long as factory SAAMI spec ammunition is used, there should be no issues. Having said this, no mechanical object is indestructible. The hotter the loads, the shorter the service life of the firearm.
    Have a good day,
    Ruger Customer Service
    For the most part (exlcuding the legal caveat) they seemed pretty positive about using any ammo.

He has 10mm for $19.99 a box, I thought wow!
    Wow, what LGS is selling 10mm for under $20 a box? I was happy to pay $27 a box last week at my favorite LGS.
    Its typically Armscor. The Muzzle Velocity is listed at an anemic 1008 fps. It's 40 S&W in a long case. I don't buy it. You can get the sig online for $23 a box if you shop around.

Top Bottom