• ...and so much more!
  • lrwatson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Before the question, here are a few givens:

1) I am not a gunsmith.
    2) I can be an observant and meticulous craftsman if required.
    3) I am a responsible gun-handler and know how to be sure that my firearms operate safely.
    4) I have a new 10/22 that can benefit from some trigger-group improvements.
    5) I have the use of 2 jigs made by the Tom Wilson Co., that are marked "RUGER 22 AUTO. JIG #18" and "RUGER 22 AUTO JIG #19".
    6) The #18 jig is also marked "SEAR" and it is unclear to me if it can work for a 10/22 or may be for a Mark II pistol.
    7) It appears that the #19 jig may work for both the rifle and the pistol.

Does anyone have instructions for the jigs or personal experience using them that could help me decide if I should use them for my first trigger job?

Thanks.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    First, the 10/22 action is not horribly complex and there are many, many options, as I'm sure you know.

My suggestion: For your first 10/22 modification(s), buy the parts pre-made rather than attempting to modify the original pieces.

Volquartsen makes some great parts, as does Power Custom. Both are available from Midway. I'd go with the Volquartsen hammer (and auto-bolt-release) modifications and see how you like it, because that alone will take your ~8# trigger down to between 2 and 3#.

An extended mag release is also a nice thing, but I think all the new 10/22s come with that already.

Whatever you do, take lots of pictures before and after. Good luck and if you need more help, INGO has many experienced people, as does rimfirecentral dot com.

Blessings,
    Bill

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I went with the Volquartsen hammer only. It dropped my trigger pull from 8.5 lbs to 3 lbs. The trigger was still not as nice as I wanted so then I went with the complete Volquartsen trigger group. You can do either modification on your own. If I had it to do again, I would just go straight to the entire Volquartsen trigger group. For target practice at 25 yards, I shoot one hole in a piece of paper then shoot bullets through that hole.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    That sounds like a pretty good deal. I have a new 10/22 that I want to scope for squirrell hunting. A better trigger would definately be a plus.
    I've never had the thing apart, but I've worked on a lot of guns so maybe I could get this done.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm in no way a gunsmith. However, I have completely disassembled and reassembled the trigger group on my 10/22, using the exploded diagram. Not because I wanted to either :D.

Top Bottom