Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    The one on 37 in Noblesville.

Hi, I would like to buy a rat.
    Sorry?
    Can I have someone help me get a rat?
    Why?
    They are back there locked in those cages and I didn't see anyone earlier.
    OK for what?
    Huh? I just want to buy one, I don't understand
    -manager standing with us...What do you want the rat for?
    Oh, it is going to be a pet for myself
    OKkkkk, wellllll, we don't sell live animals for snake food....
    It is ok I don't have any snakes
    Okay well what do you plan on keeping it in?
    I have a tank set up at home already.

We don't recommend aquariums the glass walls are.bad for.their respiratory symptoms.

It is a vented terrarium with a wire cage topper for rats on it. I have had rats in the past. I like glass bottoms they are easier to clean.

Manager ... okay go get someone to help him.

What the heck? You can't walk in and buy a rat without being interrogated by someone with an attitude???

And since.when does petsmart not sell anything destined for food? I should have said to her after checking out that I am going to feed it to my snake after all!

At least they didn't care that I was OCing

ETA the rat is a pet. I loved having pet rats in Cali but had to get rid of em when I moved. They are so smart. Like little dogs. They respond to their name and everything.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Nope lol. If I was ever rude to a customer my manager would have a cow! But her manager was with us! They were looking at me with disgust and sneering.

Like I walked in and asked them if I could feed their first born to my crocodile or something.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    would be nice if you could take your business elsewhere...while informing them of that fact...
    but there's probably not a lot of stores you can just walk in to and buy pet rats

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Why would they have rats for sale if they didn't expect to sell one every once in awhile? I bet if you said you wanted to buy a gold fish they would've jumped off the stool. Even if you were gonna take it home and feed it to your piranha I bet they never even would've asked.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    They are full of it I think.think.

I have bought feeder mice in Cali before from them. We even said they were for a snake.

In TN the employee let us watch him have fun with the Oscars by dropping a goldfish in the tank. It was awesome.

I am aware of Uncle Bills but have never been because of their dog practices. They buy sick and diseased animals from puppy mills and sell them for hundreds for mixed breed "designer dogs" to upwards of a thousand for some pure breeds. I have heard of so many people who end up at the vet clinic spending tons of cash. Bills does offer some kind of warranty and will pay some of the ebills though

Petsmart sells rescued and surrendered cats for a small fee. And they sometimes sponsor events to let people adopt dogs from local shelters who set up booths. They don't buy them from puppy factories.

They also have a 2 week money back guarantee for their animals. So if this rat gets sick I can take it right back. We had one mouse one time that died and just brought it back. It jumped off a table lol

I guess I will have to drive to another town to get a good Petsmart or petco

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think they was trollin' u.

After a long day of dealing with people it is their way ( a loser that works at a pet shop) to have a little fun at your expense.

The best thing to do in those situations is to act dumber and crazierer than the both of them.

Everyone wins.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Heard a similar line a couple 5 or 6 years ago (I use to work there back in late '99 as my first job)... I never fed that line or was ever trained to ask what it was for.. Anyways, I had an aquarium with Oscars at one point and a separate salt water tank with a Lunar Wrasse. Goldfish aren't the healthiest of live fish to feed them so I would go for a cheaper tropical fish alternative... They finally asked me why I was buying so many.... I took my money else where after getting a dirty look.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Heard a similar line a couple 5 or 6 years ago (I use to work there back in late '99 as my first job)... I never fed that line or was ever trained to ask what it was for.. Anyways, I had an aquarium with Oscars at one point and a separate salt water tank with a Lunar Wrasse. Goldfish aren't the healthiest of live fish to feed them so I would go for a cheaper tropical fish alternative... They finally asked me why I was buying so many.... I took my money else where after getting a dirty look.

See I don't understand that. Why would they get mad when your a paying customer? It is none of their business what you do with the fish after you buy them. Predatory animals need to eat too.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    They are full of it I think.think.

I have bought feeder mice in Cali before from them. We even said they were for a snake.

In TN the employee let us watch him have fun with the Oscars by dropping a goldfish in the tank. It was awesome.

I am aware of Uncle Bills but have never been because of their dog practices. They buy sick and diseased animals from puppy mills and sell them for hundreds for mixed breed "designer dogs" to upwards of a thousand for some pure breeds. I have heard of so many people who end up at the vet clinic spending tons of cash. Bills does offer some kind of warranty and will pay some of the ebills though

Petsmart sells rescued and surrendered cats for a small fee. And they sometimes sponsor events to let people adopt dogs from local shelters who set up booths. They don't buy them from puppy factories.

They also have a 2 week money back guarantee for their animals. So if this rat gets sick I can take it right back. We had one mouse one time that died and just brought it back. It jumped off a table lol

I guess I will have to drive to another town to get a good Petsmart or petco

Yeah screw Uncle Bill's. They only perpetuate the practice of Puppy mills. We got a Petsmart here in town and they have a whole bunch of cats from the local Humane Society. I think they even have a list of dogs available for adoption from the shelter. They had an open house when they first opened where the shelter brought a bunch of dogs and cats over there for everyone to see. My brother and sister in law adopted a sweetheart of a dog that day named Gus.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I don't really have a problem with this, assuming they were actually asking because they care, not because they were being lazy.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I don't have a problem with them calling the small animal associate over like I asked, and then have her ask me if it will be a pet, because they have a policy against selling live food.

But standing there playing the why and what for and welllllll game with an attitude is ridiculous. Why and what for are not appropriate responses to a request. If you are going to ask, it should be a proper, complete sentence, like, "alright, and may I ask what the rat will be used for?

Looking online it appears they do only sell live insects and fish for food. They don't sell live rats or mice. Per policy. That is OK they are way to expensive anyway. 11 dollars for a RAT!

They do handle the rats every day for socialization it appears as well.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    They do sell live animals for food, but not rats or mice. And the policy must not be enforced in.every store since I have bought feeder mice before from the small animal associate and told him what we needed them for.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Not sure what the moral is here.

Do pet rats taste any different than feeder rats?? I haven't found that to be true at all. :dunno:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    The one on 37 in Noblesville.

Hi, I would like to buy a rat.
    Sorry?
    Can I have someone help me get a rat?
    Why?
    They are back there locked in those cages and I didn't see anyone earlier.
    OK for what?
    Huh? I just want to buy one, I don't understand
    -manager standing with us...What do you want the rat for?
    Oh, it is going to be a pet for myself
    OKkkkk, wellllll, we don't sell live animals for snake food....
    It is ok I don't have any snakes
    Okay well what do you plan on keeping it in?
    I have a tank set up at home already.

We don't recommend aquariums the glass walls are.bad for.their respiratory symptoms.

It is a vented terrarium with a wire cage topper for rats on it. I have had rats in the past. I like glass bottoms they are easier to clean.

Manager ... okay go get someone to help him.

What the heck? You can't walk in and buy a rat without being interrogated by someone with an attitude???

And since.when does petsmart not sell anything destined for food? I should have said to her after checking out that I am going to feed it to my snake after all!

At least they didn't care that I was OCing

ETA the rat is a pet. I loved having pet rats in Cali but had to get rid of em when I moved. They are so smart. Like little dogs. They respond to their name and everything.
    I work right next to that petsmart. I should go ask if I can have one for snake food.

Top Bottom