• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I'm counting down until Friday when work lets out. Speed legally home, shower/defunk with smelly sent free soap, grab tote with camo, grab scent free backpack, cant forget the bow. Drive an hour south, grab sd cards on the way to the tree stand. Climb and look at trail cam pics while I wait for bambi. If photobucket didn't suck I would be uploading them to ingo while in my tree stand.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    So this is my first year for a deer cam and let me just say that I am ABSOLUTELY amazed by how awair the deer are about their surroundings. I have had three out of the four deer that I camed actually come up and sniff it and check it out. One looked at it, passed by it, came back in and walked up to it to get a better look.

I would have never guessed that with all the woods they walk through during the day that a small little box would draw so much attention?

They are probably smelling it instead of seeing it first. If its a new camera probably got that new smell and they're curious about what it is.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    They are probably smelling it instead of seeing it first. If its a new camera probably got that new smell and they're curious about what it is.

Based on my trail cam experience it is likely some combination of seeing, smelling, and hearing it. I always spray my cams and the area immediately around them down with scent eliminator every time I place them or check the cards and I have still had deer visibly react to them. I've even watched deer react to a trail cam that I no they couldn't smell. On the other hand, I once placed a camera over a water hole in August. It was very hot and dry, ie. the worst possible scenting conditions, and a large doe triggered the camera on the far side of the pond 3 days after placing the camera. The video showed the doe with her nose on the ground like a bloodhound follow my exact trail to the camera!

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    So this is my first year for a deer cam and let me just say that I am ABSOLUTELY amazed by how awair the deer are about their surroundings. I have had three out of the four deer that I camed actually come up and sniff it and check it out. One looked at it, passed by it, came back in and walked up to it to get a better look.

I would have never guessed that with all the woods they walk through during the day that a small little box would draw so much attention?

The deer repeatedly lick and sniff my trail cameras. I don't mind because I get a closeup of them. I have also had 2 raccoons this year climb the tree and sniff one of my trail cameras. Pretty funny. I catch a variety of animal activity on my cameras. The fox who likes to pee on the salt block, the raccoons who fight & bite each other over the apple flavored deer corn even though there is plenty to eat, the old doe who lets the younger does eat the corn first and then takes her turn when they are done, the grey squirrels who bury walnuts and hickory nuts and then later a big fat fox squirrel comes by and digs them up and takes off with the nuts to probably hide them some where else. I am a hunter but I also love nature and trail cameras let me get an insider's view of things I would never see without the cameras.

Top Bottom