• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The "pointing" charge will be a problem, but I'm not sure they can make the "intimidation" charge stick given what's in the article.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Gotta keep a level head. There was a time when I had some giving me the finger and yelling at me (apparently I was riding him too close in the fast lane even though he was doing 10 under the speed limit)
    I had multiple guns in the car and I just smiled and waived

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    That's more like something you would expect from an 18-year-old, even though most 18-year-olds would know better than to pull a stunt like that. By the time someone reaches 74, they're supposed to be smarter than that. Sad.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    And this my friends is why I have a video camera recording inside and outside of the vehicle with gps and speed. What if the Old boy didn't do it. It's easy to say he had a gun. In Indiana the chances are very good they do have a gun.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I've wondered about this type of scenario from time to time. What if someone calls 911 and makes an accusation of this type. If the accusation is untrue how do you fight it ? The article basically says someone called 911 and told the authorities that another motorist pointed a gun at them. Seems a little hard to believe, although entirely possible, that the old man just decided to waive his gun at them for no apparent reason.

Unless the alleged offender says "yeah, I did it" how is this not a he said she said issue ?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    And this my friends is why I have a video camera recording inside and outside of the vehicle with gps and speed. What if the Old boy didn't do it. It's easy to say he had a gun. In Indiana the chances are very good they do have a gun.

This is why I don't put gun related decals on my truck. The closest I come is an INGO sticker, but 99% of Hosiers have no idea what that means. If I had a big Glock sticker in the window and an anti-gun nut called in a false report that I waved a black pistol at them, it would be tough for me to defend if I were pulled over and had a black pistol in the truck.

But, like nra4ever says, what if someone just calls it in out of spite figuring that either you don't have a gun and will be, at the very least, inconvenienced or, at worst, you happen to have a gun and will be arrested? There needs to be some burden of proof exhibited before charges are filed. Maybe, in this case, a big Glock sticker would help your defense by showing that the fact that you had a gun could be guessed at based on the window sticker.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    You mean you wouldn't want a huge Budweiser decal on your rear window as your heading home at 3am in the morning. Anyone who does that might as well just drive straight to the police department.

Agreed, no gun related stickers on my vehicle exactly for the reason stated.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    This is why I don't put gun related decals on my truck. The closest I come is an INGO sticker, but 99% of Hosiers have no idea what that means. If I had a big Glock sticker in the window and an anti-gun nut called in a false report that I waved a black pistol at them, it would be tough for me to defend if I were pulled over and had a black pistol in the truck.

But, like nra4ever says, what if someone just calls it in out of spite figuring that either you don't have a gun and will be, at the very least, inconvenienced or, at worst, you happen to have a gun and will be arrested? There needs to be some burden of proof exhibited before charges are filed. Maybe, in this case, a big Glock sticker would help your defense by showing that the fact that you had a gun could be guessed at based on the window sticker.

I hope this doesn't become a new type of "swatting" where antis make false 911 calls against people with pro-gun stickers on their vehicles.

Pharaoh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've wondered about this type of scenario from time to time. What if someone calls 911 and makes an accusation of this type. If the accusation is untrue how do you fight it ? The article basically says someone called 911 and told the authorities that another motorist pointed a gun at them. Seems a little hard to believe, although entirely possible, that the old man just decided to waive his gun at them for no apparent reason.

Unless the alleged offender says "yeah, I did it" how is this not a he said she said issue ?

I had something similar happen to me. An older gentlemen pulled out in front of me and I had to swerve to miss his car. Hit a pothole while swerving and popped a tire. Long and short, I was quite heated and din't hold much back. Just so happened that they guy with me was carrying. Concealed, but visible under his shirt.

From there, the gentlemen phone the police and stated that he was waving the gun and inciting violence. Police arrived, and questions us. I described the situation, completely contradicted the claim make by the other guy. Officer took my buddy's gun, ran the numbers, came back and said, "We have no issue here, please just put it in the glove box for now.

Unfortunately, because there was no contact, I had no claim against the old man. But the log and short of it is that common sense will prevail in most circumstances.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

To make the charge stick the person making the call would have to testify as to what happened. Further, I would imagine someone (maybe both) were engaged in aggressive driving. Sounds perfectly plausible to me. If you're still an A--hole at about age 35, you're going to be one for life. There are plenty of A-holes age 35 and older.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    My son had an incident recently where the guy in front of him thought he was riding him to close. My son says he was not but the guy does a brake check anyway. But my son says he didn't even have to hardly put his brakes on because he was not close enough to the guy for it to matter. Then the guy proceeds to drive well under the limit through town. At the edge of town the guy turns off and my son continues on. However, the guy really just wanted to get behind my son and turn on his high-beams. When they came to the next light the guy gets out and heads for my sons car but my son pulls away.

The lucky guy was the one that got out of the car because my son had his Glock on his side and happened to be bringing his AR to my house to work on. Not sure how the guy would have explained why he was out of his car and at my sons car window but he got lucky that my son was able to pull away safely without being blocked in by other cars and forced to defend himself.

My son used his brains rather than taking a macho attitude and decided that pulling away from the situation was a much better option. I am very proud of him for making that choice because it's not always easy to do. I sure the guy feels like he scared my son away but I guess he will never know how lucky he was that night.

pinkiron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Avon,In
    If you have a Indiana gun permit it will show up when a cop runs ur id or plate. had this happen a few times and first thing they ask is "Do you have any loaded weapons in the car"

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    This is why I don't put gun related decals on my truck. The closest I come is an INGO sticker, but 99% of Hosiers have no idea what that means.

I believe this is a valid concern. It took many years of being a NRA member before I decided the heck with it and put the decals on my truck. I have also heard scumbags love to break into vehicles with decals at gun free zone locations thinking the owner left a weapon in the vehicle. I have always been very paranoid about leaving my gun in a vehicle which I never do. If going to any of the legal (sighing with disgust) GFZs I just take the chance to go unarmed which just makes me paranoid anyway.

Top Bottom