• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2023
    Bluffton
    Looking at getting into the red dot game for pistols Not sure what kind of red dot to go with and if I should get a red dot ready gun or get the slide cut to fit a red dot. Would like to know what other guns people are shooting and what optic like like the best

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm running a Gen5 G19 MOS with Holosun SRS optic. I like it a lot. It's a small package that conceals fairly well vs some others. The SRS co-witnesses with factory or factory height aftermarket sights. No higher suppressor sights required.

An FYI on the Holosun SRS - it's a smaller window sight. May make the RDS learning curve a bit tougher, especially if your grip is not seasoned and always 100% repeatable.

Other pistol is a G45 MOS with Holosun 509T. I like it also, but the downside is that the gun is way tougher to conceal and bangs off of surrounding stuff a lot. Also the plate required to fit the sight to gun is a PIA and expensive.

A real convenience of the Glock MOS system vs custom cut is that it can be put back to normal for your own preference to carry or for resale down the line. I know a lot of folks tout their custom cuts for being as low on the slide as possible, but the downside is that they are stuck with a cut on pistol that they likely will never recover their investment on. Selling the gun with optic is a possibility, but your market is way way reduced to those that want to spend a gun and a half worth of funds for the exact package you have.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had my M&P milled for my red dot. RMR initially, now a SRO. Same footprint so the interchange was easy.

My Taurus TX22C comes with mounting plates so that one was easy since it fits most of the red dots out there.

I got the red dot just as companies were coming out with pistols ready for red dots but I'm still happy I had mine milled.

I don't think I would buy a red dot ready pistol still today. But I don't change stuff often. If you tend to try something and then want to move to something else, a MOS type system would be better.

I am limited with the milling I have on my M&P.

I do have plate that I can screw down on the milling if I wanted to return it to irons. That would put it pretty close back to factory condition. I ordered it when the company did my milling.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I am limited with the milling I have on my M&P.

I do have plate that I can screw down on the milling if I wanted to return it to irons. That would put it pretty close back to factory condition. I ordered it when the company did my milling.

What was the total out of pocket bill for that milling and cover plate?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What was the total out of pocket bill for that milling and cover plate?

Milling ($110),suppressor height sites($60)(which I wouldn't do again for a range gun), mounting the red dot, the plate($25) and melonite($50) of the slide. Add shipping minus a discount and the grand total was $241.

Last edited:

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have 2 optics ready M&P's - it's a nice option to be able to put the gun back to just iron sights. Also, the newer model optics ready guns came with metal mounting plates which is a plus (used to come with plastic).

Agree with @bwframe on keeping options open with factory optic cuts like M&P OR or Glock MOS.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Previously carried a Glock (19 or 45) but I have recently transitioned to a PSA dagger full size S, same basic configuration as a Glock 45. I've found them to be reliable (using Glock mags) and the price point is untouchable.
    Personally I like the Holosun 507 optic series but YYMV.
    I understand that Parabellum just got about a dozen different models of these in and they have one on the rental wall to test if you like. Otherwise check this out, all RMR cuts....https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-dagger/handguns.html?optic_mount=RMR

Steelwaver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2022
    Florida
    I recently discovered Springfield has released an optics-ready slide, however I still have the old XD 9. And I have thought about doing it before purchasing the RMR.

Top Bottom