• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus

The manufacture says to make it work the way they say it is supposed to spray the rounds with Rem Oil. You better shoot them right away if they sit over night with oil on them you will have nothing but miss fires. The oil wicks into the powder and ruins it. I followed there instructions to the letter and loaded my mags the night before a match. What a disaster. That thing is on the top shelf in the garage and will most likely never be used again.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1st fun day at MCF&G as a member for over 3 hrs going through 400 rounds in this heat! :oldwise:
    Spent 200 rounds trying to dial in a SW 22A-1 with a scope, but it didn't seem to be responding consistently to my inputs. :ugh:
    POI was all over the place at 25 yds. Probably just me. :scratch:
    I'll try to do it on the indoor range tomorrow perhaps, where I can get closer sit & use a rest.
    At MCF&G you can't sit at the 25 yd pistol bay.
    I did use my suitcase as a tall rest since I had to stand so that helped since the distance was shorter.

Spent the rest of the time shooting steel at 50 & 100 yds.
    I'm used to only 25 yds max at the indoor range.
    The SW 41, Beretta 87, Browning Buckmark Hunter & a DW revolver (no optic) went ping, ping, ping at 50 yds.

At 100 yds I could hit steel with the SW 41, but not with the DW revolver (no optic).
    Didn't try the Beretta 87 & Buckmark Hunter at 100 yds b/c I was getting tired. :fogey:

Rifle time at 100 yds: I got out the Ruger 10/22 & RPR to ring steel.
    I couldn't hardly hear the "ping" at 100 yds: I"ll need to see if the electronic ear muffs let me hear better.

I found I'd rather have had time to dial-in the rifle scopes for 100 yds.
    I had the range all to myself, but I just got too worn out to walk back & forth from the 100 yds in the heat to do that. :dunno:
    The 25 yds tired me out when I was dialing the SW 22A-1 pistol.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg...Time for you to buy a GOOD spotting scope ($$) to get full enjoyment from your guns and optics.

Agreed! :thumbsup:
    I can see the Nikon Trailblazer 10x50 binos that I bought & was so proud of aren't going to be much good at 100 yds.
    They barely are adequate at 25 yds. for my eyes and a little .22LR hole.

What size should I get?
    - Barska Colorado 15-40x50mm Spotting Scope; 4/5 stars
    - Simmons Blazer 60x Spotting Scope (Black); 4/5 stars
    - Piney 20-60*60mm Waterproof Straight Spotting Scope with Tripod & Cellphone Mount
    - so many under $100

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    doddg...Time for you to buy a GOOD spotting scope ($$) to get full enjoyment from your guns and optics.

...- so many under $100

Notice I said $$ and I really should have said $$$$. The under $100 scopes are going to leave you sorry you wasted the money on it. This is like buying a CZ Shadow 2...buy once, cry once..
    To see .22 holes at 100 yards with our old, not so good eyes, you need to be thinking $500 minimum and $1000 would be preferable.

You need very good and very large optics. 20x60x80mm (85mm is better). A Vortex Diamondback 20x600x80 is probably the minimum I would consider. I went to a Vortex Razor HD 20x60x85mm a few years ago when the scope I was able to use 20 years ago was no longer adequate for my aging eyes (and it was a very good scope). I got a good discount on a prior years model at the time.

Spend the money now and you will never have to buy another.

Call AA Optics and talk to the owner about your needs. He is a great guy and will point you in the right direction and also be able to let you know if he has any refurbished spotting scopes coming in.

Don't go through the same learning curve as you did with firearms. You haven't regretted buying the expensive pistols and you won't regret buying a truly good spotting scope.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Spent 5 hours in my 2nd day with a membership at MCF&G.
    4 hours working with .22LR rifles at 100 yds.: humbling!
    I was making little adjustments all along the way.
    In fact, after getting it dialed in tighter, I went back & put more rounds into some of the previous "+" that I hadn't got anywhere near the "+".

This was 1st target with the Ruger Precision Rifle.
    I had a 2nd page that was a little better, but it was too crowded.
    25 yds. was easy at the indoor range! 100 yds. is proving evasive for me. :dunno:
    Trc4XXu.jpg

1st target with Ruger 10-22 at 100 yds.
    Again, certainly not as easy as 25 yds.
    sldCg8k.jpg

2nd target with the Ruger 10-22
    KmLGngW.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Notice I said $$ and I really should have said $$$$.
    The under $100 scopes are going to leave you sorry you wasted the money on it. This is like buying a CZ Shadow 2...buy once, cry once..
    To see .22 holes at 100 yards with our old, not so good eyes, you need to be thinking $500 minimum and $1000 would be preferable.

You need very good and very large optics. 20x60x80mm (85mm is better). A Vortex Diamondback 20x600x80 is probably the minimum I would consider. I went to a Vortex Razor HD 20x60x85mm a few years ago when the scope I was able to use 20 years ago was no longer adequate for my aging eyes (and it was a very good scope). I got a good discount on a prior years model at the time.
    Spend the money now and you will never have to buy another.
    Call AA Optics and talk to the owner about your needs. He is a great guy and will point you in the right direction and also be able to let you know if he has any refurbished spotting scopes coming in.
    Don't go through the same learning curve as you did with firearms. You haven't regretted buying the expensive pistols and you won't regret buying a truly good spotting scope.

Very wise input, gmcttr. You know me well.
    You are right. I don't regret paying good money for a good firearm & have double invested in what I have compared to when I started out the first year.
    You mentioned the Shadow 2.
    I would buy a Kadet .22LR kit for it just for fun if I thought it would cycle my SAO flat light trigger, but from what I've read, springs have to be switched out, not just the slide to make it work, then back again for the 9mm.
    Since I hate the Urban Grey (not grey, not tan, but an ugly combination I refer to as diaper brown), I've even thought of letting Allen Cerakote it.
    Or maybe just getting grips to go with the Urban Grey crap color: I've looked, too many choices.

I am stunned at the prices of a good spotting scope.

At 25 yards you should be able to consistently hit a dum dum sucker :)

Got an intro to doing that with hitting push pins at Crosley, but that was only 30 yds.

Those are reasonable groups for your first time shooting at 100 yards with CCI SV.
    What power scope were you using?

I thought the 10/22 was middling, but the RPR was all over the place!
    :dunno:
    Ruger 10/22 has a Nikon Prostaff 2 3-9 x 40 (50 yd. paralax)
    Ruger Precision Rifle has a Hawke Vantage 3-9 x 40 (Did not see paralax on box, maybe in manual.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yeah, you're going to want a better scope. My Ruger American Rimfire Target has a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6x24x50 that I use at 100 yards. My Anschutz has a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x16x40 which I use to shoot 50 yards. For my eyes those work pretty decently. I can also use 3x9x40 at 50 yards, but prefer my Vortex scopes at anything over 25 yards... ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, you're going to want a better scope. My Ruger American Rimfire Target has a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6x24x50 that I use at 100 yards. My Anschutz has a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x16x40 which I use to shoot 50 yards. For my eyes those work pretty decently. I can also use 3x9x40 at 50 yards, but prefer my Vortex scopes at anything over 25 yards... ;)

Gulp! :ugh:

Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    I’ve been using a Nikon P-Rimfire 3-9x50 on my 10/22. Works great and the app makes adjusting and understanding your rounds drop very easy. I shoot anywhere from 50-200 yds with it and I’m in my 40’s with bifocal. 200 yd is a guess on if you hit paper or not. That’s where the more $$ comes into play.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had some fun with a new Savage 2 rifle that zachcz bought recently (name used with permission).
    It is just an inexpensive plinker for him, but I never met a gun I didn't want to try out & so he "forced" it on me today. :lmfao:
    Rifle was a basic Savage 2 with an inexpensive Barska or BSA scope (I think).
    It is a small rifle, and since the stock is short & the rings are a decent height, it didn't hurt my neck which I realized after I was 2 hours into it.

I first tried 100 yds, but I couldn't see where I was hitting with the scope or my binos, and the reason was that I wasn't even on the paper (2'x2' app.). :wallbash:
    Lesson learned.
    I went to 25 yds on paper plates to begin dialing it in, then went back to 100 yds. & still couldn't hit anything.
    Went to 50 yds & dialed it in & it shot as well as at 25 yds.
    Then finally went back to 100 yds and it was still shooting about 6-8" low, but I was in the game!

Wind was bad today, which accounted for some flyers, most of which didn't get posted.
    This inexpensive Savage 2 shot better today than I did with my own Ruger 10/22 & Ruger Precision Rifle, which really hacks me off!
    I know it says more about me than the gun, and I can only use the wind as an excuse for so long. :)

25 yd paper plates.
    They were blowing in the wind and I'd have to wait until they were vertical instead of horizontal when shooting. :laugh:
    3s0dTL3.jpg

100 yds. after a practice run when it was shooting 6-8" low
    0PO6HCd.jpg

2nd attempt at 100 yds after "tweaking" a tad more on the above pic.
    nKpvPX3.jpg

1st target of the day with my 10/22.
    7TYWzDs.jpg

Today's 2nd pic at 100 yds. with my Ruger 10/22.
    This says RPR, but it is the Ruger 10/22 (I intended it to be the RPR, but was not satisfied with the shots the 10/22 did 1st target.
    glCyZTK.jpg

Last edited:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    looks like the little savage works just fine. Seems like a very good budget option. I bet you’ve shot it more than me now.

Had some fun with a new rifle that zachcz bought recently (name used with permission).
    It is just an inexpensive plinker for him, but I never met a gun I didn't want to try out & so he "forced" it on me today. :lmfao:
    Rifle was a basic Ruger American with an inexpensive Barska or BSA scope (I think).
    It is a small rifle, and since the stock is short & the rings are a decent height, it didn't hurt my neck which I realized after I was 2 hours into it.

I first tried 100 yds, but I couldn't see where I was hitting with the scope or my binos, and the reason was that I wasn't even on the paper (2'x2' app.). :wallbash:
    Lesson learned.
    I went to 25 yds on paper plates to begin dialing it in, then went back to 100 yds. & still couldn't hit anything.
    Went to 50 yds & dialed it in & it shot as well as at 25 yds.
    Then finally went back to 100 yds and it was still shooting about 6-8" low, but I was in the game!

Wind was bad today, which accounted for some flyers, most of which didn't get posted.
    This inexpensive Ruger shot better today than I did with my own Ruger 10/22 & Ruger Precision Rifle, which really hacks me off!
    I know it says more about me than the gun, and I can only use the wind as an excuse for so long. :)

25 yd paper plates.
    They were blowing in the wind and I'd have to wait until they were vertical instead of horizontal when shooting. :laugh:
    3s0dTL3.jpg

100 yds. after a practice run when it was shooting 6-8" low
    0PO6HCd.jpg

2nd attempt at 100 yds after "tweaking" a tad more on the above pic.
    nKpvPX3.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    looks like the little savage works just fine. Seems like a very good budget option. I bet you’ve shot it more than me now.

I probably put nearly 200 rds. through it.
    I added a couple more posts to my original one including my 2 targets with the Ruger 10/22 showing my shame on how your Savage 2 shot better for me at half the price of either of my rifles & scopes! :dunno:
    I know the short stock with the high rings was good for my neck, but I can't believe that was the X factor.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom